Coilovers or Pedders?

legend_of_lazz

Hey guys, I’m thinking of doing a complete suspension change in my Sportivo soon. I know there’s a place in Townsville which can do a Pedders set up for under $1000. I’ve also seen these coilovers on eBay here and here ( not sure if there is any difference) for $1250 but I have really no knowledge on suspension and was wondering what you think would be better. I’d like stiff suspension that can take corners well like a Mazda 3 SP25 or a WRX at the higher end of the scale.

They also need to be professionally fitted so I’ll need to check on a place in Townsville that can do them as I’ve had no experience with suspension at all. Or I can give it a go and hope for the best if it’s a relatively easy procedure or I can see a how to guide.

Also, what are the benefits of coilovers? Do they have any benefits other than adjustable height? Do they corner better than a Pedders set up or anything? I’d just really love my car to be able to corner better.

Thanks for any info.

Adam.

The cornering ability of your car doesn't just come from the suspension alone. In my opinion, trying to expect to be able to make your Aurion take corners better approaching that of a WRX etc is a bit of an ask. You're talking about a different sized wheelbase coupled with different weights which can affect how the car feels during a turn. I'm not saying you can't make the Aurion take corners better... in fact, with stock Sportivo suspension and Ultra Racing bracing you can take corners at about the same speed as a WRX etc (excluding track conditions). I'm just saying that you can't really expect miracles. The feel of it is always going to be completely different because of the physics of the car itself.

As for the coilover (when referring to the common coilover that everyone thinks about) vs. springs discussion, I would personally go for good springs tied in with some quality aftermarket shocks. One good combination to go for is King Springs with Koni shocks. You can get Koni adjustable that give you control like just like a coilover minus the height and camber adjustments. Getting something like this though requires a bit of modification to your existing struts or to another pair that you can obtain.

An interesting read as well is in the post that SupaTouing had posted over here.

One crucial thing you can't forget, regardless of whether you change your suspension or not, is to add a front strut brace and upgrading your rear sway bar. These two things alone will help improve your cornering even on stock suspension. The idea here is to reduce your body roll. As well as this, your maximum cornering ability is only going to be limited by the grip you have on the road, so make sure you spend some extra money and get yourself a good set of grippy shoes.

If you haven't worked with the suspension on your car before, I really wouldn't recommend fitting springs yourself. The process itself is relatively easy, but it's up to you to make that call. To get an idea of what happens in the process, have a look at the Suspension service manual from page 15 onwards. Either way, you are going to have to pay for a 4-wheel alignment after changing your suspension so if you can a shop to change your suspension over for a reasonable cost, it may just work out easier for you overall to get a shop to do it for you.

Swapping out to coilovers is easier though as there is no need to deal with spring compressors etc, but you have to make sure that you get everything reasonably even if you have to drive a little ways to get somewhere that can perform a wheel alignment for you. But generally, I'd just say that if you don't feel confident, then don't do it yourself.

With stock Sportivo suspension and Ultra Racing bracing you can take corners at about the same speed as a WRX etc (excluding track conditions)

Okay Well that seems like a good place to start, and fairly simple without changing springs etc. I had completely overlooked the Ultra Racing Gear at the time I wrote this, but it does seem like a logical first step. I'm 100% sure I can fit the strut bar but I'm not too sure about the rear bracing. I might have to take that to someone. I'm not so much interested in taking corners faster, just the car feeling more solid so again, this sounds like a better place to start.

Getting something like this though requires a bit of modification to your existing struts or to another pair that you can obtain.

Okay well I'm not too sure I'd like to start modifying the struts, if I don't need to with coilovers, I'll end up with them just to avoid that step if I decide to change after the Ultra Racing mods. Depending on what happens in the future, I may want to take the car back to stock to sell it.

Make sure you spend some extra money and get yourself a good set of grippy shoes.

That also sounds like a good place to start. I was thinking Potenza Adrenaline or something like on the TRD, the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, if they make a direct fit. Whichever you really think would be a better place to start. I'm not going to change the wheels at all at this stage so unless I can get a direct fit, I'll stick with the Potenzas. Thanks for the quick reply as always Daryl and thanks for the advice.

Hey guys...Happy New Year :toast:

I've just bit the bullet and ordered coilovers,i was leaning towards what Daryl was saying ( spring & shock combo) but the choice is to limited and i didn't really want to modify anything in case she has to go back to stock for some unknown reason.Hopefully by mid next week i will have personal review for whoever is interested.

p.s...I will prolly have some cheap Pedders springs for sale soon. ;)

I've just bit the bullet and ordered coilovers,i was leaning towards what Daryl was saying ( spring & shock combo) but the choice is to limited and i didn't really want to modify anything in case she has to go back to stock for some unknown reason.Hopefully by mid next week i will have personal review for whoever is interested.

Cool as. Definately let us know how they go. I'm looking at ways to improve my handling. I've order the Ultra Racing Strut Bar and 4 Point Brace and I'll install them as soon as I get them.

Cool as. Definately let us know how they go. I'm looking at ways to improve my handling. I've order the Ultra Racing Strut Bar and 4 Point Brace and I'll install them as soon as I get them.

No probs mate,will let my fellow Aurion peers know asap :) ... btw are you getting the rear sway bar from Ultra Racing?

If you are getting just two, you would be better off with the front strut brace and the rear sway bar.

wats a rear sway bar go for these days?

i have forgotten to mod my car :P

Around $340 posted if you pay the RRP.

pfft rrp... im azn... and azns never pay rrp!

id wouldnt even pay that installed?

Edited by Freddo

If you are getting just two, you would be better off with the front strut brace and the rear sway bar.

Whoops, I guess I was a little tired when I wrote that. I did order the rear sway bar and the strut bar, not the four point brace. Must have been a little tired from a New Years in Monaco... What does the 4 point brace do? Is it a worthwhile addition to the other two or will it only make a minor change?

What does the 4 point brace do? Is it a worthwhile addition to the other two or will it only make a minor change?

I wouldn't bother with the 4-point brace as this is not going to provide much benefit in my opinion. As well, it happens to sit rather low so if you do get it, you may have it scrape etc.

What does the 4 point brace do? Is it a worthwhile addition to the other two or will it only make a minor change?

I wouldn't bother with the 4-point brace as this is not going to provide much benefit in my opinion. As well, it happens to sit rather low so if you do get it, you may have it scrape etc.

Okay thanks for that. I won't bother with the brace then. Did you fit your Rear Sway bar Daryl or get it done by someone? I'm sure I can mount the strut but not too sure about the sway bar. Will have to wait and see.

Okay thanks for that. I won't bother with the brace then. Did you fit your Rear Sway bar Daryl or get it done by someone? I'm sure I can mount the strut but not too sure about the sway bar. Will have to wait and see.

Judging from all the things I've done to my car and posted on the forum here, would you think I got someone else to install my rear sway bar? :P

It's easy to do yourself without even lifting the car (or putting it on jack stands if it is lowered).

Judging from all the things I've done to my car and posted on the forum here, would you think I got someone else to install my rear sway bar? :P

It's easy to do yourself without even lifting the car (or putting it on jack stands if it is lowered).

Haha I suppose so. I can safely say I will never replace my VVT-i Oil Line. But I'll give the sway bar a go and see how it works out.

Well let us know what price you can get it for then :lol:

found it online in malaysia for 480 ringit... which is $AUD156 today.

will try find out how much to ship it.

is ultra racing made in malaysia?

That's definitely for the rear sway bar right?

And yeah, Ultra Racing is made in Malaysia.

Well let us know what price you can get it for then :lol:

Wow.. Where did u find it? Mind sharing it?

• 3 weeks later...

Some further development. I have fitted the Ultra Racing Strut and 19mm Sway bar to my Sportivo and what a difference! I do want to make the step to a suspension upgrade sometime very soon. I spoke to local Pedders guys here in Townsville who gave me 2 options.

He first of all told me that they are no longer making a shock for the Aurion so the best they can do is put me on some lower springs. Total price for this including parts, fitting and a 4 wheel alignment is $750. It doesn't sound bad at all, but I'm nervous about leaving the stock shocks in place with the lowered springs and I love the fact that you can adjust everything in a coilover setup.

Next he told me about the Pedders Extreme Coilovers. Total price again including parts, fitting and 4 wheel alignment is $2000 even. I know 1stKill has gone down this road. How do you find them?

Lastly, I'm looking at BC Adjustable Coilovers. They are $1299 and fitting plus a 4 wheel alignment will run me another $400 for a total of $1699.

I'm thinking it's probably better to go for the coilovers so I can return the car to stock if need be and I can adjust the height and dampening etc. Just wondering if you think the Pedders Extreme Coilovers are worth the extra $300. I should point out that they have warranty on the Pedders but can't do anything about it if my BC fail.

What do you think?