Sound choice

pezzie

Hey, im planning on chucking a sub and amp into my car (zre) off the stock head unit or chucking in a 6x9 speakers (im thinking alpine type s) in the back with an amp running them. i dont need that much sound that comes from the sub.

My questions are:

-Will the headunit be able to support all 8 (extra 6x9) speakers without an amp?

-If not, am i better off changing the stock headunit and run the speakers off them?

-how much wiring do i need to hook up the amp. places like jb hifi and stuff arent much help. I looked around and wires are costing from 80-150 dollars. would that really be necessary to hook up an amp to one sub off a LOC off the headunit.

Because i was thinking that if i still need to buy the wiring and amp and loc for the 6x9, i might as well get a sub.

Sorry for heaps of questions, all i want is something to add a little more bass but not too costly. Im also not too fussy about how good the quality of everything is and money is limited.

If anyone has any other suggestions then that would be helpful.

Thanks people :D

-Will the headunit be able to support all 8 (extra 6x9) speakers without an amp?

-If not, am i better off changing the stock headunit and run the speakers off them?

The head unit can run the speakers with no problems. The key here is that the head unit won't run the speakers to their full potential, which you will need an amplifier to do. If you go to the effort of getting an amplifier though for your speakers, you may as well change your head unit at the same time to one with RCA outputs for the amplifier.

-how much wiring do i need to hook up the amp. places like jb hifi and stuff arent much help. I looked around and wires are costing from 80-150 dollars.

If you take a trip to Jaycar after measuring up all the cable you need, you would only need to spend like $50-70 on cables, fuse holder, fuse, and connectors. For the purpose of a sub, one of those $25 line out converters will do the trick for just a sub.

Spending any more on cables and a line out converter is your choice on whether you want to go that far or not.

Will the headunit be able to support all 8 (extra 6x9) speakers without an amp?

The head unit is pretty bogg stock gear, I wouldn't bother trying to squeeze any more out of that, it will sound rubbish.

If not, am i better off changing the stock headunit and run the speakers off them

Even changing the headunit will not give you the ability add MORE speakers. That said, if you really need 8 speakers, you could run some off the HU and the rest from amps. IMO, this setup will not give you a clean sound, regardless of the quality of the components used. The amount of tuning you would have to do to have the speakers connected to the HU to level with the ones running of the amps would be tooooooo much trouble.

how much wiring do i need to hook up the amp. places like jb hifi and stuff arent much help. I looked around and wires are costing from 80-150 dollars. would that really be necessary to hook up an amp to one sub off a LOC off the headunit.

This will depend on the setup / speaker config you require. You need to decide on your exact setup so I can help better :)

Some questions I have regrading your setup:

What speakers are you looking at getting and/or are you replacing the stock ones?

What size sub are you looking at getting?

Please let us know your dream config and I'd be more than willing to provide you with some advise :)

Ill just make a few broad sweeping statements:

I would not run 8 ordinary speakers and I would not run them on the stock head unit. I personally have just 2 good sets of splits in the front, being a coupe its a bit different though so I think a set of 2 in the back would be in order for you as well.

I would not get Alpine Type S speakers. They have lots of power but not great audio quality. Shop around a bit.

I would definitely not run a sub off a head unit. It would just not get enough power. A good cheap sub is a Alpine Type S (I have one).

If you don't want to spend lots of $$$ on amps, get a (decent) 4 channel amp and power the front speakers and sub, power the rears on the head unit, it'll be ample power if your not after huge doof doof.

Personal opinion only.

thanks for your help. im thinking i might as well go for the sub + amp off the stock headunit. At most id get a 12" sub, but ideally just thinking about getting a 10 inch pioneer sub, and a 4 channel amp as mole suggested. Not sure what kind of amp for now, but probably something like a pioneer, kenwood, clarion amp, nothing fancy.

Just also wondering, what if i wanted some doof doof instead, what are peoples preferences?

and why do so many people dislike sony car audio? thinking about it since its one of the brands within budget.

Just a reminder i am not finding an SQ or SPL, just finding something out there that will be a little better than stock atm. :D

Edited by pezzie

If you want an indication of price, I paid $1500 installed for Hertz Dieci 165 front splits, 12" alpine type S + alpine 4 chan amp. I know that you can get the amp and sub for less now as well, so under $1500 installed or even less if you do it yourself.

Of the brands you mentioned I would only touch Clarion...

ok. i've decided to go with the rca line out converter and pioneer sub and amp. i'll be heading to jaycar in a few days to pick up the line out converter and was wondering what kind of wires would i need to get it all installed. The plan is to run the two front speakers and sub off the amp and four other speakers off the headunit. Also does anyone know any good car audio installation places in melbourne?