ST215 engine into ST185

WRX_eater

Hi peoples,

Just wondering if anyone has done this in south east queensland area and know of anyone that can do it? i already have the engine and caldina ECU. So far it looks like im the one having to do the swap.... the most ive done on the GT4 is an oil change :S so im not really that confident.... with the wiring i was considering Dr. Tweak over in the states. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hi peoples,

Just wondering if anyone has done this in south east queensland area and know of anyone that can do it? i already have the engine and caldina ECU. So far it looks like im the one having to do the swap.... the most ive done on the GT4 is an oil change :S so im not really that confident.... with the wiring i was considering Dr. Tweak over in the states. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I can probably help you with this... having done a swap on GT4s twice before...

Hi peoples,

Where abouts do you live?

Hi peoples,

Where abouts do you live?

I'm over in milton, brisbane.

haha iv rebuilt my own 3SGTE out of a 185 from scratch and transplanted it into a different 185, actually its the very same engine that mick says hes done a swap with! And the awsome thing is - i live with mick and hes definately a technical genius with celicas haha... being a mech fitter by trade means that i have all the tools needed and i get cheap parts on my account at repco - so between us - if it can be done, we will be able to do it ! =D

did you phone me at Road & Track about this???

there are at least 3 versions of the 215 engine/ECU/wiring/, with some changes trivial, others less so. Basically it will bolt in, but there are lots of small changes. The biggest issue you have to face is the wiring if you expect everything to work properly, especially the body harness links to dash and a/c.

the 185 gearbox will bolt-up if required

some caldinas use a dual mass flywheel and different clutch. these are disasters!

some cam belt engine mounts dont line up with bracket welded into celica bodywork. you cant bolt the 185 steel bracket onto the later 215 caldina , but you can on the early one

the front & rear engine mounts are slightly different but can be modified to get the engine to sit properly

the caldina sump shape is different and comes very close and sometimes hits the 185 subframe

the 185 dump pipe does not fit

air con compressor lines totally different . we usually make custom alloy hoses

the air intake/air box pipework does not line up with the 185 installation

• 1 month later...
did you phone me at Road & Track about this???

there are at least 3 versions of the 215 engine/ECU/wiring/, with some changes trivial, others less so. Basically it will bolt in, but there are lots of small changes. The biggest issue you have to face is the wiring if you expect everything to work properly, especially the body harness links to dash and a/c.

the 185 gearbox will bolt-up if required

some caldinas use a dual mass flywheel and different clutch. these are disasters!

some cam belt engine mounts dont line up with bracket welded into celica bodywork. you cant bolt the 185 steel bracket onto the later 215 caldina , but you can on the early one

the front & rear engine mounts are slightly different but can be modified to get the engine to sit properly

the caldina sump shape is different and comes very close and sometimes hits the 185 subframe

the 185 dump pipe does not fit

air con compressor lines totally different . we usually make custom alloy hoses

the air intake/air box pipework does not line up with the 185 installation

yer that was me that called... have been saving my pennies to have the install done... the reason i wanted to go for this swap was for the reason of having a newer engine in my car for sometime while doing a complete re-build of the st185 engine (if it hasnt completly been screwed) and because i couldnt find any st185 engines or front cuts. i do intend on spending alot of money on this car over the years because i never intend on getting rid of it. was going to do the install myself but i have to face the fact i dont knw enough to do it and cant be screwd cleaning the shed.. what is the max i would have to pay for this kind of swap?

i don't think its very clever to put in a 215 if you plan to refit a 185 later on. that would be going backwards in many respects

you cant just use the 185 loom & ECU on a 215 engine, as the 215 has coil-on-plug system and most of the harness is different. the head, manifolds etc are also different

it would be cheaper to fix a 185 properly, if thats what you are happy with, as it will just fall back in and everything will work/fit

we have several useable & rebuilt 185 engines available at work, but here is not the forum to discuss this. call me if needed

Terry