Request:ZRE owners

Dam, I just had half the tutorial done and Mozilla crashed :(

Here it is again

6-8 X 3mm super bright LED of choice,

Small piece of prototyping circuit board

Diodes, resistors (ill give numbers later)

1mm polycarb sheet

Sign writing vinyl, contact or Di-Noc

Thin gauge wire

Soldering iron, drills, screwdrivers or chisels, files.

So basically what we are trying to do here is sandwich a piece of polycarb in between the emblem and the emblem base. Putting LED's in the base, and "masking" the polycarb to allow a thin line of light to escape, creating that nice even illumination glow.

Ok, you need to make a piece of polycarb thats just larger than the emblem, by only 1-2mm. Best way is to trace the emblem base onto the polycarb, then cut using shears, then sand to the required shape. Keep the protective paper on... dont remove it yet.

Like this:

ToyotaEmblempolycarb.jpg

Then you have to knock out the area where the emblem pins will come thru the polycarb. Mark them on the polycarb, and drill out the corners with a 2mm drill. Knock them out with a sharp chisel or sharp screwdriver. Its the easiest way.

ToyotaEmblemcutpoly.jpg

Now we need to make sure the sandwich fits, and to allow the emblem to clip into the base, we have to file 1mm off the shoulder of the back of the base where the emblem clips in, on the side of the tab from the emblem..

Once it all fits well, we can look at masking with cover of your choice.. the emblem must be nice and centered on the polycarb.. We need to mask just inside the emblem, just 1-2mm inside:

ToyotaEmblemvinyl-1.jpg -------> ToyotaEmblemmasked.jpg

This mask needs to be dark and not let light through. I opted for 3M Di-Noc carbon look film. Also 3M reflective black vinyl will look good too, or even blue reflective (just go to a big sign company and ask for some scraps)

We are then looking at mounting the LED's. These are the places i have selected for the LED's. This should provide an even spread of light. Drill 3.5mm hole at these locations on the base:

ToyotaEmblemled.jpg

Ill continue this in a bit.. the next part will take some time..

Hey dutchie, i was jut wondering when u drill these holes do u go all the way through, coz if u do doesnt that mean u will b goin in through the masking?

thanks man

Heya, no, those holes are in the base! they are for the 3mm LEDs.

Ill continue this guide when i get a chance, im just snowed under at the mo.

Thanks dutchie, and good work on the emblem so far, it would look mint on ur car

cheers bro