RAV4 cv extra fuel and roof cage

Potter

I am heading off towing a 2009 Jayco Starcraft small rear door van for 5 months and would like to take extra fuel as the 60 litre tank could leave me a bit short in a few places. I do intend to not pass a bowser without topping up but am still concerned for a few spots. Has anyone any ideas re extra tank fitted or other ideas. Cannot carry fuel on van A frame as have 2 gas cylinders and a spare. Also any help re roof rack to carry 2nd spare for RAV and 2nd spare for van and maybe 2 x 10 litre containers of fuel. All answers a help, women travelling alone, leaving men at home.

I'm not too sure how to answer your questions as not too sure about the mods you are considering. But there is this other RAV owner that had done a few mods for towing etc.

Here is the link: http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=58487

:)

Thankyou for the response. I visited suggested site, was great to see how loved their RAV is and that it managed the trip towing without dramas.

My main query was do people add an extra fuel tank at large cost or just carry extra fuel externally. And is there a preferred roof carry system that works well on the RAV.

Regards

Hey Potter, We are also planning a trip from Geelong to Perth on June July for a month, cant wait. I have been researching Google Earth to check out most of the stops ie petrol stations and distances. There isnt much more than 400kms max between stops. I will be towing a Jayso Swan and am expecting to get maybe 400kms max from a tank. But it is so hard to tell. I have been thinking about extra fuel, I beleive an extra fuel tank is quite expensive. So I am just going to get a jerry can 20ltrs and tuck it away some where. Should need much more than that I wouldnt think. Please let me now where you are going I am very interested to see how you go.

Hey Potter, We are also planning a trip from Geelong to Perth on June July for a month, cant wait. I have been researching Google Earth to check out most of the stops ie petrol stations and distances. There isnt much more than 400kms max between stops. I will be towing a Jayso Swan and am expecting to get maybe 400kms max from a tank. But it is so hard to tell. I have been thinking about extra fuel, I beleive an extra fuel tank is quite expensive. So I am just going to get a jerry can 20ltrs and tuck it away some where. Should need much more than that I wouldnt think. Please let me now where you are going I am very interested to see how you go.

Thanks for the reply,

I have checked out my distances and just want to be sure as am planning to travel from Qld leaving early May, down to Flinders Ranges then up to Darwin via Lake Eyre, William Creek, Coober Pedy; across to Qld via Lawn Hill, Normanton, Cape Trib, then back down the coast, 5 months of adventure. Some on dirt roads, towing a 09 Jayco Starcraft rear door, little pop top called N,Eddy. I too was thinking of 20 litres extra, maybe carried on roof rack with extra spare. It's a bit daunting as the male partner is staying home and the female of this household is doing all of the extra add ons. Have just had a WDH fitted to the van, feels a lot better to tow. The installer suggested heavier duty rear springs and am checking that out on Monday. Being an artist the $'s are not that consistant as most folks, but the urge to become a silver gypsey is too strong to ignore.

Hope your trip is fabulous, watch out for the head winds on the Nullarbor, stay safe and have fun.

John Lennon wrote "Life is what happens to you whilst you are busy making other plans"

Regards

Potter

• 2 weeks later...