recommend oil for 93 camry 3vz-fe with high kms?

Pesca

Hey all,

I'm about to do my first oil change on my '93 Camry Vienta (3vz-fe) since I bought it and I'm curious what viscosity oil I should be using. It's got around 230,000 kms on the engine and in the 6 1/2 months I've owned it I've had to put a litre of oil in it all up so it does burn oil. Would it be wise to avoid 10w-40 and should I stick with 20w-50? I have no idea what sort of oil is in there now (forgot to ask the previous owner when i bought it). Any brand recommendations too?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm on the South Coast NSW, and it usually gets around 6 degrees at the very coldest in winter (which had me wondering if that's too cold to be running 20w-50 even if it burns oil)

Edited by Loungefly

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I'm about to do my first oil change on my '93 Camry Vienta (3vz-fe) since I bought it and I'm curious what viscosity oil I should be using. It's got around 230,000 kms on the engine and in the 6 1/2 months I've owned it I've had to put a litre of oil in it all up so it does burn oil. Would it be wise to avoid 10w-40 and should I stick with 20w-50? I have no idea what sort of oil is in there now (forgot to ask the previous owner when i bought it). Any brand recommendations too?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm on the South Coast NSW, and it usually gets around 6 degrees at the very coldest in winter (which had me wondering if that's too cold to be running 20w-50 even if it burns oil)

Firstly, welcome to TOCAU.

My old car was a 96 3VZ-FE and I only ran 20w-50 in it. The car had 320,000km and burnt a little oil on start-up. I lived in the blue mountains at the time (so the temps are similar). I would just use a good brand. personal fav's Nullon - any type (spelling) and Castrol GTX3 or mangatec. Forget shell, get too black too quickly for our cars and any of the premium stuff just isn't worth it.