Gen 7 Celica - One Sided Brake Lockup

T_Money

Hey Ya'll

To begin with it's an SX it does not have ABS. Under heavy braking the left front wheel locks up, the right does not untill a bit more pedal is given. This bias to the left obviously causes pull to one side under heavy braking (without lockup)

Any idea what causes this? Will a simple brake bleed work or is it time to rebuild the calipers?

Cheers Trav

Have you noticed any abnormal heat buildup in the left wheel or weird sounds? Next time you go for a reasonably long drive, touch the left wheel and compare the temperature with the right. If there's a real difference, you'll know it immediately (ie: you're not looking for a subtle difference).

Heat buildup can indicate pad drag and/or a seized piston.

Could be a few things;

1) Brake bias is wrong, not sure if its adjustable on 7thgens, i would imagine it is.

2) one caliper is sticking/f*cked and needs a rebuild

3) for some reason one pad is more worn than the other and thus is contacting the disc early.

Classic Rowan! I've been at the weekly meets but you and your ricer never show up! hurry up and come out. if someone wants to wait until friday night to drive to Syd i'll come. Can't see that happening though so i will have to give it a miss as i am in -ve holidays at work atm due to an upcoming holiday.

It's not pad drag :)

Seems to be a little better today. Front left was one psi higher in pressure than the front right. both now reading even and seems to be working better. might be worth a rebuild on the calipers anyway as they have been slaving away for 180,000kms :)

Cheers boys!