1FZ-FE problems

Rusty1

I have a 1996 Landcruiser with a 1FZ-FE 4.5 litre DOHC enging, the problem that I am having is that it is severley heavy on fuel. I do alot of towing, nothing big, and am getting 23L/100Kms. OUCH I am going broke, it gets over serviced, full filter change every 5000kms. just put full new exhaust system on with extractors, due to a collapsed CAT converter, I have 2 hyclones in it, new plugs, leads, cleaned the airflow meter and throttle body. ???????

I am out of ideas please help.

I have a 1996 Landcruiser with a 1FZ-FE 4.5 litre DOHC enging, the problem that I am having is that it is severley heavy on fuel. I do alot of towing, nothing big, and am getting 23L/100Kms. OUCH I am going broke, it gets over serviced, full filter change every 5000kms. just put full new exhaust system on with extractors, due to a collapsed CAT converter, I have 2 hyclones in it, new plugs, leads, cleaned the airflow meter and throttle body.  ???????

Sounds a bit on the heavy side for consumption., unless the trailer is an air foillll.

On LPG I tend to get about 5km/L under normal use, and down to 3.5km/L if doing interstate with 3T trailer at the speed limit all the way (Adel or Sydney). I dont know what it does on petrol, but would expect 15% better. A friend did trip to QLD and managed 3Km/L average with 3T trailer.(after accounting for dif size tyres). He had 33" tyres for the trip (down from 35").

Drag is the biggets issue - minimise that and fuel economy will improve (remove roof rack)s. Do you have oversize tyres - even 33" make a difference to economy over the factory 31".

Dave

not so slow 80 series

I have a 1996 Landcruiser with a 1FZ-FE 4.5 litre DOHC enging, the problem that I am having is that it is severley heavy on fuel. I do alot of towing, nothing big, and am getting 23L/100Kms. OUCH I am going broke, it gets over serviced, full filter change every 5000kms. just put full new exhaust system on with extractors, due to a collapsed CAT converter, I have 2 hyclones in it, new plugs, leads, cleaned the airflow meter and throttle body.  ???????

Has it just started gobbling fuel or has it always got those figures?

I would pull the hiclones out and see what happens.

Maybe get a compression test,if that checks out get it tuned by someone who good with them and have it dynoed.

I know its sending you broke ,but youll go broke quicker driving it like it is :(