Lost bass when upgrading speakers

Jayz

Hi guys

Recently I upgraded my stock headunit in my zre to an aftermarket one and ran a them on the stock speakers for a while. Since then I was given a pair of 2way mb quartz and decided to change my rear speakers. I noticed now i have lost the majority of bass which my rear stock speakers produced.

I was wondering how can i go about improving the bass without the need of running speakers off an amp or using a sub. I understand the fact that i will never be able to get the best sound out of my speakers without an amp but is there any other way of improving the bass?

Thanks

Hi guys

Recently I upgraded my stock headunit in my zre to an aftermarket one and ran a them on the stock speakers for a while. Since then I was given a pair of 2way mb quartz and decided to change my rear speakers. I noticed now i have lost the majority of bass which my rear stock speakers produced.

I was wondering how can i go about improving the bass without the need of running speakers off an amp or using a sub. I understand the fact that i will never be able to get the best sound out of my speakers without an amp but is there any other way of improving the bass?

Thanks

The reason you may have lost bass is either because the freq's of the new speakers, are too high (EXAMPLE 60hz-30000hz)

Where, as a good all rounder with just enough bass, would normally go as low as 25-30000hz. The stock speakers have a greater freq band than your new ones.

BTW! Just a side note: I disliked the stock speakers, so I went with some cheap DUB269 Audiobahn, & I must say, they carry more bass than the stock, still not enough, but you can really notice the difference, it kinda makes the audio feel way more whole :)

Edited by iVaz

Hi guys

Thanks

The reason you may have lost bass is either because the freq's of the new speakers, are too high (EXAMPLE 60hz-30000hz)

Where, as a good all rounder with just enough bass, would normally go as low as 25-30000hz. The stock speakers have a greater freq band than your new ones.

BTW! Just a side note: I disliked the stock speakers, so I went with some cheap DUB269 Audiobahn, & I must say, they carry more bass than the stock, still not enough, but you can really notice the difference, it kinda makes the audio feel way more whole :)

Thanks for your help. Just another question is it better to get aftermarket speakers that have a lower power rating than one with a high power rating? Since i won't be powering the speakers of the amp i was thinking speakers with less power would run better through the headunit.

Hi guys

Thanks

Thanks for your help. Just another question is it better to get aftermarket speakers that have a lower power rating than one with a high power rating? Since i won't be powering the speakers of the amp i was thinking speakers with less power would run better through the headunit.

Going from what I remember, most aftermarket headunits only push out like... 7RMS I think??? (Please verify)

But from what I feel & think I know, I find that having too much power (beyond 400watt RMS a speaker) is bad for the speaker it's self, having too less power (1RMS???) also harms it...

I get enough bass with my speakers, and they run at 200watt RMS i think... & they sound perfect FOR ME! Someone else might think they are sh&t but I like it.

Going from what I remember, most aftermarket headunits only push out like... 7RMS I think??? (Please verify)

But from what I feel & think I know, I find that having too much power (beyond 400watt RMS a speaker) is bad for the speaker it's self, having too less power (1RMS???) also harms it...

I get enough bass with my speakers, and they run at 200watt RMS i think... & they sound perfect FOR ME! Someone else might think they are sh&t but I like it.

More like 27W RMS per channel for your average MOSFET 4x50W headunit. 7W would be about the power of the loudspeaker on your phone.

More like 27W RMS per channel for your average MOSFET 4x50W headunit. 7W would be about the power of the loudspeaker on your phone.

Thanks for that, 27w RMS, I was close... Only like 20 away :)

Just check to see if your rear speakers are wired correctly and one of them isn't out of phase.

To do this, simply adjust the fader control all the way to the rear and then adjust the balance to either left or right. doesn't matter which side. If you hear the Bass out put increase when you adjust the balance either way then that means that one of the speakers is out of phase.

If the bass stays the same or is lower, then the phase is correct.

Just check to see if your rear speakers are wired correctly and one of them isn't out of phase.

To do this, simply adjust the fader control all the way to the rear and then adjust the balance to either left or right. doesn't matter which side. If you hear the Bass out put increase when you adjust the balance either way then that means that one of the speakers is out of phase.

If the bass stays the same or is lower, then the phase is correct.

This is probably the first thing i'd check too. The other thing to note is, how well are the speakers sealed. Were there gaps/holes around the speakers? And are they the same size as the stock speakers.