Toyota Reverse sensors pretty ordinary?

idisc

Hey Guys.

Just picked up my Kluger on the weekend :)

We had reverse sensors fitted at the factory and so far have found them to be pretty ordinary.

In my parent's car (a Honda Accord), the factory reverse sensor had wiring up to the rear view mirror that had a display showing the distance to the object. It also beeps loudly.

The unit fitted in our Kluger doesn't work very well.

All I got was some module the size of a tweeter speaker in the boot behind the plastic trim. Its stuck onto the body of the car with velcro. The problem is, I can't hear it, even when I removed the trim piece and adjusted it to loudest (it was already on loudest), I have to turn down the music and even then I have to try very hard to hear the reverse beep.

The beeping also seems to be slow to react, unless you are moving at a snails pace, you can't rely on it. I tried reversing into something very slowly and when I looked back was shocked that I had almost hit what was behind me.

Is this normal? and is this the Toyota reverse sensor fitted to all cars with the option?

Chris

Mine are ok, and were included with the car (I assume toyota original), which are very different to the previous one I had in my previous car. you can't trust it 100%, you always need to look behind, and it's a bit slow in the feedback (meaning if you are reversing too fast, the beeps won't speed up as you expect). I think mine is hooked to the rear speakers. I'll have a look tonight and post back.

ok thanks..

Mine are definately not hooked to the rear speakers.

I couldn't find the module at first and got my wife to keep the car in reverse while I listened around for it; it was only then that I found it behind the plastic trim.

I shook the module around and it seemed to get a little louder.. I could perhaps have a faulty unit.

But now that I think about it, I remember the kluger I test drove had reverse sensors too and I could barely hear that one as well

I've called the dealer, everyone was busy so I'm waiting for someone to call me back. My only problem is.. I paid $495 for these reverse sensors and they just don't work well at all.

Edit: Do you guys know what brand the Toyota sensors are?

Edited by _kit_

Hi Kit,

I had an issue with my Kluger. After several no call backs I called the Head Office customer feedback line and told them about my lack of response.

They said they would look into it. Within 5 minutes the service manager called and couldn't be more helpful.....

Just a tip if your receive the same lack of service I did.

Well, I must correct myself. I have the same setup as you. After diggin into the boot, I found the small "tweeter" stuck to the car with velcro. However, the previous sensors I had in my previous car were too loud. I feel this one is the right volume, and I already know how slow the are to react (once hit a wall with the other car), so I got used to how it works. The front sensors on the other hand, I feel they are incorrectly placed and basically are useless.

Well, I must correct myself. I have the same setup as you. After diggin into the boot, I found the small "tweeter" stuck to the car with velcro. However, the previous sensors I had in my previous car were too loud. I feel this one is the right volume, and I already know how slow the are to react (once hit a wall with the other car), so I got used to how it works. The front sensors on the other hand, I feel they are incorrectly placed and basically are useless.

Hi.. thanks for checking it up for me.. I'm going to try calling the dealer again today.. they didn't return my call yesterday!

The rear sensors on my KXR are useless. They go off even with a light breeze. Seem way too sensitive or something.

Ones on my wifes Ford Focus, and our previous Mitsubishi much better.

I got a call back from the dealer, and as expected I will have to take it in for them to look at.

He said these are genuine Toyota sensors though so are covered by the manufacturer warranty. This means I can also have it looked at by any dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to be proven wrong by someone more knowledgable... but I don't think there are any Toyota genuine parking sensors they are all after-market.

Toyota sell them but all they are really doing is making a commisson on top of the retail price and installation service, kind of like a finder's fee.

Becuase they are after-market they are all of different makes and models and installed by different people/companies.

I've got an LCD mounted above the rear-vision mirror that has a picture of the car and as I approach a object each corner of the car flashses and I get a readout of the distance to the object. Having said that they are not to be relied on 100%, things can hidde just under vision of the sensors.

I'll see if I can find the original manual which will state the manufacturer and model number. The wife has the car at the moment and I'm left home baby-sitting :-(

I'm happy to be proven wrong by someone more knowledgable... but I don't think there are any Toyota genuine parking sensors they are all after-market.

Toyota sell them but all they are really doing is making a commisson on top of the retail price and installation service, kind of like a finder's fee.

Becuase they are after-market they are all of different makes and models and installed by different people/companies.

I've got an LCD mounted above the rear-vision mirror that has a picture of the car and as I approach a object each corner of the car flashses and I get a readout of the distance to the object. Having said that they are not to be relied on 100%, things can hidde just under vision of the sensors.

I'll see if I can find the original manual which will state the manufacturer and model number. The wife has the car at the moment and I'm left home baby-sitting :-(

When I spoke with the Toyota dealer that I purchased the vehicle from, he advised that there are both Toyota "Genuine" sensors and also aftermarket ones that may be fitted at a dealer. The unit that I have is the genuine one and the user guide that comes with it has Toyota printed on it too.

I can't remember what the reasoning was, but he said at times a dealer may fit an aftermarket product, and these would be the ones that have an LCD screen above the rear view mirror.

I'm pretty sure the Genuine product isn't one that is made in japan specifically for the vehicle, rather Toyota Australia probably struck up a deal with a local vendor.

When I spoke with the Toyota dealer that I purchased the vehicle from, he advised that there are both Toyota "Genuine" sensors and also aftermarket ones that may be fitted at a dealer. The unit that I have is the genuine one and the user guide that comes with it has Toyota printed on it too.

I can't remember what the reasoning was, but he said at times a dealer may fit an aftermarket product, and these would be the ones that have an LCD screen above the rear view mirror.

I'm pretty sure the Genuine product isn't one that is made in japan specifically for the vehicle, rather Toyota Australia probably struck up a deal with a local vendor.

They're like all "Genuine" accessories. Toyota does a deal to get bulk volume pricing and then sticks their margin on top and adds a logo on. The genuine cargo barrier is made by Milford Industries, the genuine roof racks by one of the majaor manufacturers.