Camry 2008 model (Altise/Ateva) vs Holden Commodore (3.8L) Automatic 2008

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum. Till now I was a Holden commodore (owner) till a lady driver hit me from behind and my car was completely smashed. Now I have to go for a new one...Currently thinking of Camry (altise/Ateva) 2007/2008 year model but wondering if anyone has any experience about pros/cons of driving commodore vs camry. If anyone got any experience about fuel consumption by both cars (though I know abt commodore - 3.8L Auto V6) but not sure about camry as compare to it. Considering camry is 2.4L (but having a heavy body) is it still better than commodore (any experience or links would be good)? Camry official website says its 8.8L/100KM (altise V4) and Ateva (9.9L/100KM). Is that really true in city driving for 2007/2008 year model (coz I know that toyota has improved the fuel efficiency of camry in latest models - not talking abt Hybrid :))?

Cheers

AJ

• 2 weeks later...

want power, a big bodied car?go for the commodore. want durability long term, fuel effieciency?go for the camry. the camry is a reasonable choice as its about $10k cheaper than the commodore, but the only problem is the lack of performance compared to the commodore. i personally don't think the camry looks as good as the commodore(no offence intened against camry owners), although toyota has improved it through the facelift models. after all it's your choice because it all depends on your wants and needs. hope my suggestions help.

I haven't actually driven a 2007/08 Camry, but before I say much else - certainly an 07/08 Camry has got to be more expensive than a Commodore that has the 3.8L V6.. The latest model with that engine was the VY Commodore, from around 2004 I believe it was. Very old now (actually was even old when it was new).

I'm going to assume then, that you're actually talking about the 3.6L VE Commodore v6. And I'll only refer to the basic executive (or as they now call it, the OMEGA) with only 180kw on tap.

2nd hand, you're probably going to pay similar dollars for either (assuming basic trim level).

What I CAN tell you about the 2008 Commodore is this - it is absolute rubbish. True it's got the power on paper, but it really is a heavy arsed vehicle. It rolls about more than a tanker in a storm (and probably spills just as much oil, joke for all you naturists). The interior build quality is cheap, hard yet flimsy plastics, the seats do a poor job of keeping you in place (which probably isn't helped by the fact you'll be making every effort to get out of the car at the first opportunity).

To be honest, I was seriously considering buying an 08 Commodore instead of the Aurion, as an upgrade to my 97 Commodore (bit of a fan of the old land boats). Although this changed the second I actually drove one, AND put it through it's paces around a track as well. Although to be fair, we had one driver at the track who could do amazing things with the Commodore - however this only earnt him the nickname "Skipper".

The 08 Camry is very similar to the Aurion, in most area's bar the engine and some slight changes in the interior/exterior. Just from knowing that I'm sure it's a great car, however for the money being asked for them these days you could easily justify spending only a tad bit more and landing an ATX Aurion - With the v6 engine that is actually just as good as the 4 cylinder on fuel, you can have your cake and eat it too.