1995 4 cylinder idle problem

muney

Hi guys.

I have a 1995 camry which i just recently bought from a 1 owner old bloke..he hardly drove it and its only got 83,000 klms..the only problem i have is this..when it is cold its only reving at around 600-700 rpm..and when its warm and sitting at the lights for example..its idleing at around 1200 rpm..so things are the opposite as far as idleing is concerned..

i had the mechanic clean the IAC valve and that worked for a few days(kinda( and now its back to normal..

can someone pls tell me what could be the problem...i dont want to change the whole throttle body if i dont have too..is there anything else i can try?

Depends on how he cleaned it. Cleaning requires removing the IACV completely and giving it a good scrub, if he just sprayed cleaner down the opening in the throttle body it won't have done anything.

Might be worth a check on the temperature sensor to see if it is reading correctly too. But the fan will give that away; if you idle for a long time does the fan turn on and off only when hot, or does it turn on when cold too?

yeah he took off the throttle body completely, but wether or not he scrubbed the IAC properly or not i dont know..

i might even do it myself to give me some piece of mind..

the idle is smooth and not pulsating up or down..and im pretty sure the fan does kick in..

is there a detailed sticky on here about how to take out and clean the IAC valve properly, perhaps with some pics?

i also might add that after the mechanic did what he did, the idle was fast when it was cold and normal when it was warm (as per normal) for a few days and now just recently is going back to its devil self..

once the IAC valve is taken out..is there a way of seeing if its actually stuffed and not working as it should? maybe check with a multimeter?

I had a similar problem, when my friend and I decided to do a DIY Throttle Body port. I have a feeling in my situation though that some metal shavings got in the sensor. The gains were good mind you.

I thought I could put up with it however, on really really cold mornings the car wouldn't start without a little help from my right foot. So I just bought a new throttle body from the wreckers, cost me $100 so its not that expensive.

I had a similar problem, when my friend and I decided to do a DIY Throttle Body port. I have a feeling in my situation though that some metal shavings got in the sensor. The gains were good mind you.

I thought I could put up with it however, on really really cold mornings the car wouldn't start without a little help from my right foot. So I just bought a new throttle body from the wreckers, cost me $100 so its not that expensive.

yeah i will probably go down to my wreckers this weekend and pull one off their cars (IAC)..as far as i can see..its simply 4 phillips head screws..is that right? anything else i will need?? any gaskets etc?

If it's anything like the 2zz the philips head screws will need to be removed with an impact driver. Using a normal screw driver is likely to strip the head; unless you are lucky and they aren't too tight, but don't bet on it.

The IACV can be tested by removing it, then plugging it back in, then have someone put they key in the ignition and turn it to IGN so that the warning lights on the dash turn on, the IACV will flutter very quickly.

If it's anything like the 2zz the philips head screws will need to be removed with an impact driver. Using a normal screw driver is likely to strip the head; unless you are lucky and they aren't too tight, but don't bet on it.

The IACV can be tested by removing it, then plugging it back in, then have someone put they key in the ignition and turn it to IGN so that the warning lights on the dash turn on, the IACV will flutter very quickly.

guys i took the white part out which is attached to the underside of the throttle body..the thing is tho..the black part (perhaps the valve? which sticks out is still inside facing out.. it wasnt next to the butterfly inside the throttle body which i thought it would be, and i wasnt able press it in and out..but was able to turn it clockwise/anticlockwise

so my question is..is the IAC valve just the white part i took off, with a sensor plugged into it? there doesnt seem to be anything serviceable on there where i could spray some carby cleaner into it

Edited by muney

*bump* can anyone can shed some light on this?

guys i took the white part out which is attached to the underside of the throttle body..the thing is tho..the black part (perhaps the valve? which sticks out is still inside facing out.. it wasnt next to the butterfly inside the throttle body which i thought it would be, and i wasnt able press it in and out..but was able to turn it clockwise/anticlockwise

so my question is..is the IAC valve just the white part i took off, with a sensor plugged into it? there doesnt seem to be anything serviceable on there where i could spray some carby cleaner into it