Cyclinder Head Repair

kangar00paw

Hey y'all,

I'm new here and hoping that y'all might be able to offer me some advise.

I have had my '94 Tarago for just over 2 years and she is a wonderful machine :D It seems the previous owner didn't take very good care of her because I found that she had the wrong radiator fitted and a few other things. Anyways, about 6mths ago my mechanic diagnosed a problem with the cyclinder head, which he said was quite common and I have been saving up ever since. She has been driveable up until a couple of days ago when she seems to have submitted to the icky build up on the spark plugs.

Well I'm about to take the leap and I was hoping someone might be able to offer me a ballpark range of what I should expect by way of costs. The quotes I've received range from $1400 for best case, all the way up to $3000 for worst case. Although I am aware that it can get a whole lot worse if the engine is dodgy.

I live in the Logan area, south of Brisbane and would appreciate any recommendations on a repairer also!

Cheers

Miss Tarago Owner

i must say take it to your local dealer which would be south side im not from QLD but i have family and friends up there heads on that model tarago TCR10 or wombat arnt fun ive done 2. 1 with emition pipe and 1 without 1 with out was much easier.

the bigest issue is the chain guide when takeing the head off and refitting if you slip it could be all bad but apart from the small access hole your have to do the job its not to bad exhuasts nice and easy to take off intake manifold stays in the car easy

1 other thing dont argue with price to much as its and old car now when the pull it down some things that may not have needed doing may break just take it in your strides and replace it toyota dealerships wont (shouldnt) rip you off unessessarily where as some garages will and expect to pay any where from $1500-$3000 depending on whats up with the head and what doesnt play nice when pulling it down

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

what is common is corrosion in water port jacket and it works its way to cylinder, the Head Gasket Breaks and allows water into cylinder "cyl 1 on mine"..just to repair that part cost me $200 Welding at Machine shop and that's cheap,then Machining head"if head is not too warped from overheating".

if head overheat too much you might as well go new 2nd hand good head as its been comprimised "weak" in Alloy..

then your Mechanic needs a gasket Kit, another $150-.And if Head Gasket allowed water and oil to mix.."usually resivoir runs out of water and oil stick gets way full" Steam out of Exhaust another tell tail sign.

A LOT of Cleaning oil sludge internally "means all 2pans off and cleaning/blowing/.

now with The head, if it overheated too much it might warp, usually means a new head, 2nd hand $450-..on assembly and dissasembly Both cams must come out to get access to Head Bolts "another $50-" in new + "more Labour costs".

then on mine i found "egr Valve,Vacumm Modulator, vacuum bracket all non functional, was it the faulty head over time?,who knows, but another $350+ , while in there might as well do timing chain, another $130-+labour.

so ill stop here as you can see every step costs money and that is not including mechanics Labour costs @ usually $70-$100 an hour..

so far i have spent total working hours 15, complete strip down and assembly..not finished yet as im waiting for spare parts from Japan.. so i would say $1600 is minimal work done to your car and a lot of luck..

post-21044-128515455327_thumb.jpg

• 9 years later...