sportivo only revs to 6500-7000rpm...

hey guys,

tried doing a search but had mostly gear box issues come up, not really what i was after. shifting is fine.( feel free to point me in the right direction)

anyway one of my cousins just got a 05' face-lift corolla sportivo.. nice and tidy car, stock as a rock with 80,000km.

the bad thing is that the car dosen't want to rev past 7,000rpm.. i'v been in a few sportivo's in my time, stock and with mods, and this one doesn't seem to pull as hard as the others.. (goes just abit harder then my 1zz-fe)

power seems to die down after 6-6.5k and at 7k the car miss fires like its over revving and won't go anymore.

anyone else ever had this problem?

my cousins taking it back to toyota tomorrow to see what they say.

any help would be great..

cheers wil

Edited by wil_rolla

Is lift still kicking in at 6000 rpm?

just got back from another test drive.. and would say no.. it doesn't go into the high lift cams.

after doing some research, some info i found..

lift works according to oil, temp and pressure (i'm new to lift, lol)

so could be OCV or filter - oil control valve

or could be lift bolts,

could you guys help me locate these?

any other ideas?

ummm... it could be something as simple as the engine isn't warm enough. becuz really i'll hunt your cousin down if he is trying to lift when the engine is cold... :angry::wacko: lol :lol:

on a more serious note, lift does not engage when the engine is cold so make sure the engine is properly warm when he flogs it ;)

or could be lift bolts,

I doubt lift bolts as they fixed these in the engine revision in 2003.

The VVL filter in located on the rear of the engine next to the VVL solenoid.

he took it back to toyota today and they pluged their computer into the ecu and found out that it was the OCV..

they have put one on order for him and it will soon be fixed hopefully.

sorry for the noob qestions but is the VVL filter is this the same thing as the OCV filter? and do you have any pics?

cheers SD

ummm... it could be something as simple as the engine isn't warm enough. becuz really i'll hunt your cousin down if he is trying to lift when the engine is cold... :angry::wacko: lol :lol:

on a more serious note, lift does not engage when the engine is cold so make sure the engine is properly warm when he flogs it ;)

yes engine is at driving temp.. i would never thrash a car that is not at driving temp... as i would always make sure i cool my car down after a hard drive as well..

for the people who are interested..

i found some info about OCV's and how to replace them..

this is not a 2zz but an older 4age 20v which works similar to lift..

http://forum.9000rpm.co.za/viewtopic.php?id=7856

the ocv is a valve that opens ups at a certain rpm accordingly to your oil pressure and temp. the oil pressure then advances the cam timing creating lift. (my basic understand of it after 15min of searching ;) )

Edited by wil_rolla

I heard it's all good now right? Assuming this person is my friend's cousin? Silver facelift? :P

If he still wants the eyelids, ask Andy if he still has them. See the FS thread here. It's unpainted.

Peter.

Hey peter are u by any chance a friend of truc?

Yep. Yeah, was talking to John yesterday and he was talking about this, so it just clicked. Welcome by the way! :P