Oil blowing out of Oil fill hole..

Jaym

Hi guys today i put some new oil in my car. I noticed that some air was blowing out of the oil fill hole, while the car was on. a moderate amount, not just a light puff. Is this normal. I also noticed a flat piece of material not sure of its make up as such which was inside the rocket cover half way across the fill hole. and when i poured the oil in it would hit this piece of materail and then go down into the engine. ??

any clarification would be great

You would be speaking of the oil hitting the cam , and it's perfectly normal with the cap off for oil to be thrown out of the filler hole without the cap on , thats one of the reasons it's there!

It is definately not the cam.. I can push this object with my finger, and if not careful it feels like it wants to snap. I have been told that my rings may be warn out, hence the reason i am getting blow-by. Could also be PCV Valve

lol, that is by no means a test of "blowby". You will be feeling the pulses of air coming out but not the pulses of air going in.

A proper compression and leak down test will tell you how good your piston rings are.

Or, cut the hose going from the right hand side of the rocker cover back to the intake and insert a cheap clear plastic fuel filter from supercheap and see how much oil collects in there. I doubt it would be very much at all. My motor spends most of it's life at redline and under full load and have yet to collect anything but a very small pool of oil in the filter I installed in that spot, specifically so I can keep an eye on the inner health of the motor.

lol, that is by no means a test of "blowby". You will be feeling the pulses of air coming out but not the pulses of air going in.

A proper compression and leak down test will tell you how good your piston rings are.

Or, cut the hose going from the right hand side of the rocker cover back to the intake and insert a cheap clear plastic fuel filter from supercheap and see how much oil collects in there. I doubt it would be very much at all. My motor spends most of it's life at redline and under full load and have yet to collect anything but a very small pool of oil in the filter I installed in that spot, specifically so I can keep an eye on the inner health of the motor.

Rob, you sound like a smart bloke.. Mechanical background??

Yep, thats normal... (also, next time fill oil when the car is turned off)

I dont know why every mechanic has told me that my rings are stuffed then?

because they are dodgy and want cash?

Seriously though...

you put (or make) a 'catch can' on and see how much blow by you are getting in there

1) as rob said, get a cheap fuel filter and put in your pcv hose

2) buying a catch can

or you can get a compression tester and do a proper compression test.

short of pulling the engine down, these two things will tell you the condition of your rings.

Seriously though...

you put (or make) a 'catch can' on and see how much blow by you are getting in there

2) buying a catch can

short of pulling the engine down, these two things will tell you the condition of your rings.

can you tell me if i would be able to see this hose from the top of the engine?

Seriously though...

2) buying a catch can

can you tell me if i would be able to see this hose from the top of the engine?

t8vqcp.png

its the hilighted one.

Alright cheers guys..

I disconnected the hose where it plugs onto the side of the rocket cover to discover a fair bit of oil around the metal pipe that the hose joins onto... However there is no oil on the opposite end of the hose where it joins the intake.. no residue or anything, do i still need to put a filter on there to determine if im getting oil passing through ??

Alright cheers guys..

I disconnected the hose where it plugs onto the side of the rocket cover to discover a fair bit of oil around the metal pipe that the hose joins onto... However there is no oil on the opposite end of the hose where it joins the intake.. no residue or anything, do i still need to put a filter on there to determine if im getting oil passing through ??

Made a mistake.. I was looking at the wrong hose. This morning i found the correct hose, pulled it off the intake and yep plenty of oil/ residue build up.

The oil mist going back into the intake effectively reduces the octane rating of the fuel and increases the risk of detonation. Seeing as my engine is used for competition purposes and spends a lot of time at redline, the filter helps remove the oil mist from the air and help reduces the contamination of the incoming air.

The oil mist going back into the intake effectively reduces the octane rating of the fuel and increases the risk of detonation. Seeing as my engine is used for competition purposes and spends a lot of time at redline, the filter helps remove the oil mist from the air and help reduces the contamination of the incoming air.

So....... at the end of the day by installing a Filter on the PCV hose is not a true indication of the condition of the rings, regardless of the amount of oil coming through the hose.. You would think toyota would make a filter as standard on that line to improve performance???

So....... at the end of the day by installing a Filter on the PCV hose is not a true indication of the condition of the rings, regardless of the amount of oil coming through the hose.. You would think toyota would make a filter as standard on that line to improve performance???

*sigh*

It is a good indication due to the AMMOUNT of oil collected. Some oil is normal and is allways going to happen. If there is a lot of oil collecting you know there is a drama.

If you are so worried, do a compression test.