Roadside Assist & reverse sensors

welchap

Hi all,

I pickup my new Kluger later in the week (KX-S 2WD) and am discussing a couple of options with the dealer. 1. Roadside assist - they are offering a 6 year roadside assist for $60pa through www.nationalra.com I was surprised it wasn't Toyota Extra Care Roadside Assist. Anyone got any experience with this ?

Also, wondering whether to get reversing sensors. I know it has the reversing camera but the screen is pretty small and the lens is a fisheye. What are peoples thoughts ? Reversing sensors worth it or is the camera adequate?

Cheers

Andy

On 12/1/2010 at 11:25 AM, welchap said:

Also, wondering whether to get reversing sensors. I know it has the reversing camera but the screen is pretty small and the lens is a fisheye. What are peoples thoughts ? Reversing sensors worth it or is the camera adequate?

Hi Andy,

We've had our Kluger for about 6 weeks now and love the reversing sensors. We had them installed by the dealer (4 sensor colour coded) for $300 prior to picking up the vehicle.

The best $300 we've spent in a long time. I'm considering asking about getting front sensors installed aswell

Edited by warrenkole

We got front and back sensors fitted when we bought our Kluger, I was a little apprehensive that the car was big and also had bad visibility, very, very glad we got the sensors installed as they give you a lot more confidence when parking.

Be mindful of the high price variation charged by the dealerships, do some research to find out what they are really worth and be prepared to haggle hard... dealerships make a lot of cash on these additional accessories. If you don't ask for a discount or know what to expect you'll get the maximum price quoted.

The response from the dealer is interesting :-

Depends if you want toyota genuine or after market. We dont make a cent on the toyota genuine but we have a target per month .. therefore have to promote them first..

The aftermarket ones are $515... In my opinion they are exactly the same as i have had both genuine and aftermarket on my car

any thoughts on genuine toyota vs the aftermarket ???

The sensors that we got fitted are definitely genuine Toyota ones. They came with the Toyota instruction booklet and are perfectly colour matched to our silver Kluger.

$300 is what they charged us for them to be fitted prior to taking delivery of our new Kluger.

We got the aftermarket ones. Picked up the car on Friday - they new kluger has grey plastic bumpers so no colour matching required. Very happy with them although they are a little quiet compared to others I have experienced in the past (on a Honda Odyssey).

All up really happy with the car. Drives nicely, really smooth and build quality seems upto usual standard. (a million times better than the "Dodgey" Dodge we traded in)

• 2 weeks later...

The response from the dealer is interesting :-

Depends if you want toyota genuine or after market. We dont make a cent on the toyota genuine but we have a target per month .. therefore have to promote them first..

The aftermarket ones are $515... In my opinion they are exactly the same as i have had both genuine and aftermarket on my car

We got front and rear for $700 from memory, but this was just after the dealer reverse parked my car into a fire hydrant as I was signing the documents in the office :blink:

These were aftermarket by the way. I'm very happy with them, 2 loudness settings, we had to got to the lower setting as it was just too loud. An LCD mounted above the rear view mirror has a picture of the Kluger/car and each corner flashes when you get close to an obsticle, also give you a distance to target readout, very helpful.

Our after market sensors match our car colour exactly which is the light metalic blue (sorry forget the official Toyota name for the colour).

They started talking $1200 for front and back sensors before the "ahem" accident. Marvellous what a couple of seconds can do to the price margin....