About to buy an 05 Sportivo!

Hi all, been searching the net and found this forum, glad I did as it has some great info!

Anyway I test drove a Sportivo on Monday and was very impressed and have a few questions but first a little about myself. I ride motorbikes, love them, have a 04 VFR800 atm and have had R1's, GSXR1k's, fireblades in the past. Had a Lancer GSR years ago and a Civic VTI-R as well, but I have not owned a car for 8 years. I dont read car mags and found the sportivo on toyota's web site and I am very glad I did, this thing is a bargain:)

Anyway my questions,

1. Insurance is a real problem for me, got a few quotes and $1300 is the best ATM! Really annoys me as I am 31 with a 60% no claim bonus. I live in the inner city of Syndey is this pricing right? My mate has a Astra Turbo and pays $1100 so to be honest I am bewildered by the high insurance quotes. Can any other Sydney ppl give me a any recomendations for a cheap insurer?

2. When test driving the car I found the 2nd to 3rd shift very notchy, is this normal? I have read some other threads here and have noticed mention of gearbox problems. Is this what people are talking about? Please note, I have not driven a Manual car for 6 months, I borrow my Dad's Volvo (arggghhh) when I need a car.

3. How is the stereo, I love the specs, is it any good?

4. Um, stupid question but anyways, how does this car compare to an astra turbo? Handling, off the line, roll ons etc? I love my mates car but my girl will be getting her liscence soon and in NSW she cannot drive a Turbo on her P's.

Thanks all and hope to be active in the forums when i pick up my car (hunting for the best price on the weekend).

i find the gearshift from 2nd and 3rd a bit notchy too, takes more effort then the other gears and you need to give it a good push right to get it in... stereo is fine for me but i'm not a sound enthusiast... i can't answer the rest as i've only just picked her up a few days ago but all i can say is GET ONE!

i find the gearshift from 2nd and 3rd a bit notchy too, takes more effort then the other gears and you need to give it a good push right to get it in... stereo is fine for me but i'm not a sound enthusiast... i can't answer the rest as i've only just picked her up a few days ago but all i can say is GET ONE!

Thanks for the reply!

Another question re the stereo? How do you all find the MP3 playback? Easy to pick song on a CD with lots of songs? Or is it dangerous - ie running in the back of someone dangerous!? Thinking about getting one of those Ipod radio tuner thing too, love my music, something I really miss when riding my bike.

*** I cant wait, and yep I am getting one for sure!

Thanks for the reply!

Another question re the stereo? How do you all find the MP3 playback? Easy to pick song on a CD with lots of songs? Or is it dangerous - ie running in the back of someone dangerous!? Thinking about getting one of those Ipod radio tuner thing too, love my music, something I really miss when riding my bike.

*** I cant wait, and yep I am getting one for sure!

The stock sound system in the post face light corollas (one that your getting) is absolutely friggin awesome for a stock system IMO... i upgraded to a full pioneer system (about 2k) and there isn't much better sound without the subs hehe. As for the ipod, i guess you'd have to go get an aftermarket headunit with ipod support if you need it. Also, there aren't any preouts on the stock headunit so you won't be able to hook up any amps for your subs or speakers :angry:

i have owned the 05 tivo for a while now the gear change you mentioned from 2nd to 3rd is normal. You just have to get use to the H pattern layout for toyotas. A few days with your tivo you should get accustomed to it. I will admit that our gearboxes are notchy, compared to other cars. I was in my mates clio sport, and that shifter was so smooth. im so jealous.. :angry::angry::angry:

For a stock stereo system, the stereo is very respectable i have left it as it is.

Get a couple of quotes around the place, but it really depends on where you live. Just be happy its not a turbo, so wouldnt be complaining....

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I have a 04' Stivo so cannot comment on the stereo. I like music but i am not someone after the best quality and i find it acceptable. If you have a loud exhaust then you might need bigger/better speakers.

Performance wise i don't think a stock Stivo will outrun an Astra turbo from a standing start or on the drag strip. On the track i am confident you can keep up down the straights or out of bends if you keep it in LIFT. Why i'm saying this is because the Astra Turbo has no LSD and is FWD like the Stivo. If he floors it out of a corner he will spin up his inside wheel :D .

But the Stivo is not a car you get in and be able to drive it fast (not like the idiot proof WRX). A lot of people here have had them for quite a while and i persoanlly needed almost 1 year to drive the thing better. Partly its because you can't practice driving this thing on the street without landing your bum in a Police station, take it to the track or some mountainous back roads to really DRIVE it! You need certain driving technique / confidence to get the most of the car (most girls/ladies should pass :P no offense).

It's an enjoyable car for the money and comfort/reliability/built quality is Jap standard, might not be the quickest in a straight line but i tell you it sure is the most satisfying to drive B)

The only thing i don't particularly like is the gearbox and shifter. The H pattern is a mistake for such a narrow powerband car that requires super-quick/smooth shifting and the gear ratios could also be closer for 1st/2nd/3rd gears. But i believe if you driven the Civic Vti-R and bikes you would have liked to rev. This car will suit you fine.

Cheers,

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Hi there and welcome to the forum.  I have a 04' Stivo so cannot comment on the stereo.  I like music but i am not someone after the best quality and i find it acceptable.  If you have a loud exhaust then you might need bigger/better speakers.

Performance wise i don't think a stock Stivo will outrun an Astra turbo from a standing start or on the drag strip.  On the track i am confident you can keep up down the straights or out of bends if you keep it in LIFT.  Why i'm saying this is because the Astra Turbo has no LSD and is FWD like the Stivo.  If he floors it out of a corner he will spin up his inside wheel :D .   

But the Stivo is not a car you get in and be able to drive it fast (not like the idiot proof WRX).  A lot of people here have had them for quite a while and i persoanlly needed almost 1 year to drive the thing better.  Partly its because you can't practice driving this thing on the street without landing your bum in a Police station, take it to the track or some mountainous back roads to really DRIVE it!  You need certain driving technique / confidence to get the most of the car (most girls/ladies should pass :P no offense).

It's an enjoyable car for the money and comfort/reliability/built quality is Jap standard, might not be the quickest in a straight line but i tell you it sure is the most satisfying to drive B)

The only thing i don't particularly like is the gearbox and shifter.  The H pattern is a mistake for such a narrow powerband car that requires super-quick/smooth shifting and the gear ratios could also be closer for 1st/2nd/3rd gears.  But i believe if you driven the Civic Vti-R and bikes you would have liked to rev.  This car will suit you fine.

Cheers,

Z

just like to add that the astra turbo has quite an intelligent traction control system. it can brake the inside wheel when it's spinning to keep traction rather than limiting rpm ;)

1. Can any other Sydney ppl give me a any recomendations for a cheap insurer?

2. When test driving the car I found the 2nd to 3rd shift very notchy, is this normal?

4. Um, stupid question but anyways, how does this car compare to an astra turbo? Handling, off the line, roll ons etc? I love my mates car but my girl will be getting her liscence soon and in NSW she cannot drive a Turbo on her P's.

1. Budget Direct may get you down to about $850 if you pay 12 months in advance rather then monthly.

2. The shifting is normal for the sportivo box.

3. I find the stock stereo good and I have the pre-facelift, pre-MP3 version :P

4. Naturally the Astra has more torque because of the turbo so pulls off the line quicker but the feeling in lift is unbeatable for a N/A car. You will have to join us in a trip to Wakefield Park to see how these cars can really perform on the track, even if you just ride along.

The stock sound system in the post face light corollas (one that your getting) is absolutely friggin awesome for a stock system IMO... i upgraded to a full pioneer system (about 2k) and there isn't much better sound without the subs hehe. As for the ipod, i guess you'd have to go get an aftermarket headunit with ipod support if you need it. Also, there aren't any preouts on the stock headunit so you won't be able to hook up any amps for your subs or speakers  :angry:

You can buy an FM modulator for the iPod. It transmits music from the iPod as an FM signal which you can tune into with an FM radio within range.

So you could actually use an iPod with the stock sound system.

But yes, sound quality would be much better with a dedicated connection between the iPod and headunit.

Anyway my questions,

1. Insurance is a real problem for me, got a few quotes and $1300 is the best ATM! Really annoys me as I am 31 with a  60% no claim bonus. I live in the inner city of Syndey is this pricing right? My mate has a Astra Turbo and pays $1100 so to be honest I am bewildered by the high insurance quotes. Can any other Sydney ppl give me a any recomendations for a cheap insurer?

2. When test driving the car I found the 2nd to 3rd shift very notchy, is this normal? I have read some other threads here and have noticed mention of gearbox problems. Is this what people are talking about? Please note, I have not driven a Manual car for 6 months, I borrow my Dad's Volvo (arggghhh) when I need a car.

Thanks all and hope to be active in the forums when i pick up my car (hunting for the best price on the weekend).

My answers

1) I'm comprhensively covered with NRMA for just under $800 and i'm paying monthy. (23yr old driver, vehicle garaged in ACT)

2) As others have mentioned the gearbox is difficult to get used to and even more difficult to learn to drive fast. Drive it slowly and gently to start with til you work it out. I've driven in other manual cars since buying my sportivo and find the shift action in those cars appaling now.

3) The stereo is a big step up in the functionality department for someone like me who has never had MP3 in a car. In contrast my last car had a 130dB stereo so in terms of quality and sound i'm not as happy.

Any down to earth installer will tell you that the easiest way to extract some added quality to your factory system is to replace the speakers. Car manufacturers spend bugger all on speakers and ususally the ones they fit cant even handle the output of the factory unit.

You'll find this will get you by until you replace the whole system if its still not up to your expectations.

4) I cant comment about the Astra SRi turbo, have never driven or raced one.

My sister has a non turbo SRi but i can tell you that the Sportivo wouldn't even bother getting out of bed for it.

Only other thing to consider is colour choice......your call!

Hi there and welcome to the forum.  I have a 04' Stivo so cannot comment on the stereo.  I like music but i am not someone after the best quality and i find it acceptable.  If you have a loud exhaust then you might need bigger/better speakers.

Performance wise i don't think a stock Stivo will outrun an Astra turbo from a standing start or on the drag strip.  On the track i am confident you can keep up down the straights or out of bends if you keep it in LIFT.  Why i'm saying this is because the Astra Turbo has no LSD and is FWD like the Stivo.  If he floors it out of a corner he will spin up his inside wheel :D .   

But the Stivo is not a car you get in and be able to drive it fast (not like the idiot proof WRX).  A lot of people here have had them for quite a while and i persoanlly needed almost 1 year to drive the thing better.  Partly its because you can't practice driving this thing on the street without landing your bum in a Police station, take it to the track or some mountainous back roads to really DRIVE it!  You need certain driving technique / confidence to get the most of the car (most girls/ladies should pass :P no offense).

The only thing i don't particularly like is the gearbox and shifter.  The H pattern is a mistake for such a narrow powerband car that requires super-quick/smooth shifting and the gear ratios could also be closer for 1st/2nd/3rd gears.  But i believe if you driven the Civic Vti-R and bikes you would have liked to rev.  This car will suit you fine.

Cheers,

Z

just like to add that the astra turbo has quite an intelligent traction control system. it can brake the inside wheel when it's spinning to keep traction rather than limiting rpm ;)

Never knew that Shao, but thanks for adding something positive to the Astra Turbo though :P