Picking up my new Kluger KX-S next week - advice needed

Caliel

I'm looking forward to picking up our new Toyota Kluger next week, and have searching through all the advice on these forums

I'm wondering what tips people have when picking up a new car? I've read some good advice on checking out the finish and making 100% sure there are no marks on it with the detailing.

After reading the advice here, I've decided against getting the dealer Xtreme Vehicle Protection pack, and reckon I can do a much better and cheaper job looking after it myself, and buying some good products.

Also, two after market must-haves for me are Window Tinting and a Towbar.

The dealer has quoted $950 for a towbar! however when I rang up my local Hayman Reese dealer they quoted $800 saying it was a complex 6hr job with wiring and computers..., has the complexity really jumped that much? Anyone know a good dealer (or online trader) for Melbourne?

For Window Tinting, I reckon I'll go the Tint Professor (or have him come to me B)

thanks for reading, any advice appreciated

Hi,

Congrats on the car, also hoping to take delivery of mine next week too!! Re: the towbar, I paid $840. Although a different car I was also looking at a Skoda V6 Wagon, towbar quite for it.... $2,300!!! Apparently they have to use Audi genuine and wiring is complex etc. but I digress.

Also my tint (front 2 windows) was $280.

Didn't push too hard on those accessories because I got a great deal on the car to begin with.

Welcome to the club mate,

The good thing is that the car will come with a free 1000 km free service, so within the first month or so just make a list of any issues (i.e noises,brakes, aircon leaking in passager side,etc)

Make sure they show you how to use some of the features. e.g. cruise control, climate control air con,etc....

Welcome to the club mate,

The good thing is that the car will come with a free 1000 km free service, so within the first month or so just make a list of any issues (i.e noises,brakes, aircon leaking in passager side,etc)

Make sure they show you how to use some of the features. e.g. cruise control, climate control air con,etc....

Don't think service is the right word.

Unless you have a complaint as you suggest, you will only be halfway through their plastic cup of coffee when they say it's ready. Think they just make sure it still has 4 wheels & can drive through their workshop ok to get it out of the way.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a bit stumped as to why the towbar seems to be so much more complex for a 2010 Kluger, does anyone know why its so different from the 2009 model?

Edited by Caliel

I got a genuine towbar fitted to my KXS - can't remember how much it was but I recall thinking it was very cheap when I included it in the purchase. I think they fit accessories at cost (or close to it) and then they are included in your Toyota warranty as well B)

Hi,

Congrats on the car, also hoping to take delivery of mine next week too!! Re: the towbar, I paid $840. Although a different car I was also looking at a Skoda V6 Wagon, towbar quite for it.... $2,300!!! Apparently they have to use Audi genuine and wiring is complex etc. but I digress.

Also my tint (front 2 windows) was $280.

Didn't push too hard on those accessories because I got a great deal on the car to begin with.

My dealer told me that the price for the genuine tow bar is $700, though I got mine for $350 =)

I just had a tow bar fitted to my 2008 KX-R. Cheapest from Toyota in Sydney was $853 fitted, which I went with. Aftermarket was cheaper, but from previous threads, the tow bar sits lower below the rear bumper instead of getting new piece with tow bar cutout fitted.

Regarding the cost of tow-bar, I was told because the vehicle has LED rear lights, they can't just plug into the lights for the trailer plug but have to go into the loom up front meaning much more time etc.

Regarding the cost of tow-bar, I was told because the vehicle has LED rear lights, they can't just plug into the lights for the trailer plug but have to go into the loom up front meaning much more time etc.

Back in 2009 i paid $950 for the genuine towbar for a kxr and that has the connection into the wiring loom and the trailer connection (box) under the dash, so i don"t think there is any difference just because of the led lights. This was on the Central Coast NSW. I think it just depends on how much the dealers want to rip people off for the accessories (way too expensive).

The Tow bar cost various from dealer to dealer, the best thing to do (as always) call a few dealers and get quotes.

At the same time ask them whats the best price you can do on the Tow bar...

theres a good chance they might give you a better price...

FYI - You can also have a look at this Thread regarding tow bars for Aurion. might be useful....