Rav4/ kluger?

Hi guys,I live in wentworthville near parramatta. I'm after a vehicle which can do a bit of offroading like the beach and the snow and muddy surfaces. Does the rav4 have an option to switch on 4wd and lock it or is it automatic when it detects slippage? The kluger seems to have better safety packages like reverse camera standard across all models and extra air bags too.Only thing is that its too darn big.Thats why we were after the rav4,now is the basic 4cylinder powerful enough to climb hills or will we need a v6 for that? Have read about the v6 in rav4 being a bit thirsty.Please do fill me in,all advice will be appreciated.Also when is the best time in the year to buy a new vehicle to get good discounts and any particular dealers or sites? Ta

• 1 year later...

THE V6 WOULDNT REALLY USE THAT MUCH MORE FUEL THAN THE 4, THE V6 IS WHAT I WOULD GO FOR. IT WOULD GO A LOT BETTER AND WOULD CLIMB HILLS WITH EASE . IM PRETTY SURE THE 4WD SYSTEM CUTS IN WHEN THERE IS WHEEL SLIPAGE BUT ALSO I THINK IT CAN BE LOCKED IN WITH A BUTTON ON THE DASH.