4runner Ln130R 2.8L Diesel 1992

2.8Dnz4runner92

Hi 4runner owners

I have against my better judgement bought a NEW GENUINE Toyota 4runner radiator, hoses plus metal connector bar

for our prized 4runner.

Why? The radiator we had was not overheating but had developed a small leak. Unfortunately the reaction of two radiator shops was the same when they saw it. That the radiator was shot, and that unless we limit our journeys within the city then we would be looking for trouble. It had been recored in 1997perhaps. But we had been all over the New Zealand with no overheating problems. So what was the radiator like? Bit of rotten core, leak in both tank where the scuff plate was pushing on it, has recore tag, and a bit of rust inside the top pipe (outlet?). Also the bottom pipe that links two other rubber ones was rusty inside, and all three rubber pipes were lined with this rust metal.

I shopped around all of New Zealand. Tried to find a second hand one ($260+). Tried to get a good recore price ($400+)but since I did not know what the difference between a petrol and diesel radiator was,etc....we bought genuine toyota originals..we shopped around for those as well, by ringing all of the toyota branches around New Zealand.

Yes, you'd be surprised. You would expect them to gang together and give you the same bizzare prices. But if your lucky you might find someone in New Zealand who sells genuine toyota parts and will sell you the radiator for $150 less than everyone else with free shipping (wont give anymore detail than that).

So the question remains, I still have the orginal radiator and hoses installed. I have flushed the system with plain water, and turned on the heater system until the water coming out of the radiator was clear.

So whats next?

I have all the parts.

Do I need distilled water or not?

What type antifreeze to use?

I will only use glycol type but there is standard stuff and longlife type . Which to use and what are the brand names.

NEXT, how to flush the system ????

Thanks for your patience, and hopefully I can get some good answers going,

Cheers

post-22828-0-59522500-1295341118_thumb.j