Transmission Cooler for towing

JungleJim

This is my first post on this great forum. I'm over here in the USA.

I have a couple of questions regarding towing with a 2009 RAV I4.

Over here, the RAV4 I4 is only rated to tow 1500 lbs (about 680 kg). I believe in your part of the world the same vehicle is rated at 1500 kg (about 3300 lbs).

For the V6 version, it is rated to tow 2000 lbs (about 900 kg) without the tow package. But with the tow package, it is rated to tow 3500 lbs (about 1600 kg). The tow package consists of the OEM receiver hitch (I think you call it a tow bar), a larger radiator with a built in transmission cooler, and an extra radiator fan.

My questions concern the I4 version, since this is what we own.

Toyota does not sell a towing package for the I4 here in the USA. They make no mention/recommendation of an additional auxiliary transmission cooler for towing.

Does the RAV4 I4 come with any sort of towing package in Australia? Do you have to add an extra transmission cooler to get the rated 1500 kg towing capacity?

I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to add an additional transmission cooler. The 2009 was the first year for the new 2.5 liter I4. It does have a small transmission cooler up under the front left fender. Toyota tells me that I can tow up to the max 1500 lbs without any additional transmission cooler (I called Toyota, not the dealer, twice.)

We purchased a tent camper with a dry weight of 1000 lbs (~450 kg). It is all aluminum, including the frame. It's called a QuickSilver 10.0, made by a company called Livinlite. LivinLite QuickSilver It has a maximum weight rating of 1500 lbs., which happens to be the maximum the RAV4 over here is rated to tow.

I'm wondering why the RAV4 has double the tow rating in Australia. I wonder how the vehicles differ enough to warrant a higher tow rating in Australia. Or maybe it has to do with laws (now I'm just rambling...)

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

• 11 months later...

This is my first post on this great forum. I'm over here in the USA.

I have a couple of questions regarding towing with a 2009 RAV I4.

Over here, the RAV4 I4 is only rated to tow 1500 lbs (about 680 kg). I believe in your part of the world the same vehicle is rated at 1500 kg (about 3300 lbs).

For the V6 version, it is rated to tow 2000 lbs (about 900 kg) without the tow package. But with the tow package, it is rated to tow 3500 lbs (about 1600 kg). The tow package consists of the OEM receiver hitch (I think you call it a tow bar), a larger radiator with a built in transmission cooler, and an extra radiator fan.

My questions concern the I4 version, since this is what we own.

Toyota does not sell a towing package for the I4 here in the USA. They make no mention/recommendation of an additional auxiliary transmission cooler for towing.

Does the RAV4 I4 come with any sort of towing package in Australia? Do you have to add an extra transmission cooler to get the rated 1500 kg towing capacity?

I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to add an additional transmission cooler. The 2009 was the first year for the new 2.5 liter I4. It does have a small transmission cooler up under the front left fender. Toyota tells me that I can tow up to the max 1500 lbs without any additional transmission cooler (I called Toyota, not the dealer, twice.)

We purchased a tent camper with a dry weight of 1000 lbs (~450 kg). It is all aluminum, including the frame. It's called a QuickSilver 10.0, made by a company called Livinlite. LivinLite QuickSilver It has a maximum weight rating of 1500 lbs., which happens to be the maximum the RAV4 over here is rated to tow.

I'm wondering why the RAV4 has double the tow rating in Australia. I wonder how the vehicles differ enough to warrant a higher tow rating in Australia. Or maybe it has to do with laws (now I'm just rambling...)

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim,

I am only 12 months late in replying. I have just bought a new RAV4 I4 3 months ago and have been pondering the same questions as yourself about whether to fit a transmission cooler for towing.

Yes the RAV here is approved for 1500kg. In the owners manual Toyota indicate that is 1500kg braked and from memory think 600kg unbraked. Most passenger vehicles are approved by the regulatory bodies in each state to tow up to their own weight, commercial vehicles have different requirements.

Now back to the transmission cooler. I emailed Toyota here in Aus ( not the dealer) and Toyota said that no additional cooler is necessary when towing up to the approved load. I monitor the fluid temp with Scangauge as there is a temp sensor built into the transmission. Am I concerned, Yes given the fluid temperature I am seeing so I will be fitting an additional cooler.

I hope this helps.

Barry