2005 Avalon 150,000 Service

Hi

Just had 150,000 (timing belt) service done on my 2005 Avalon.

Frankston Toyota

Service $698

Auto Trans Service $135 (previously missed)

$833 was already painful, but I got a phone call while car was being serviced and told the water pump needed replacing - another $266.

OUCH!

$1,099 total

I just had a look under the bonnet and checked the Air Filter. It is filthy.

Can someone tell me if it should have been replaced as part of this service?

I can't check now as the service slip (with items listed) has been detached from the manual.

Does $266 sound right for a water pump replacement? ($220 part - $46 labour)

Feeling ripped off.

I had the timing belt, water pump and all belts replaced last December by my mechanic for a '99 Camry V6 and it cost me $966.00. The water pump cost $140.00. Different opinions on whether the water pump should be replaced when timing belt is done. I always have the water pump replaced as it is there with everything else removed for the timing belt.

Regarding the air filter, I don't know. Is the air filter mentioned in future services in the service book.

I had the timing belt, water pump and all belts replaced last December by my mechanic for a '99 Camry V6 and it cost me $966.00. The water pump cost $140.00. Different opinions on whether the water pump should be replaced when timing belt is done. I always have the water pump replaced as it is there with everything else removed for the timing belt.

Regarding the air filter, I don't know. Is the air filter mentioned in future services in the service book.

thanks for the response.

At the 180,000 service it says "replace air filter."

The last listed service in the book is 210,000 and there is no air filter replacement in this service.

I guess that means they change them at an interval greater than 30,000 km. The schedulled services are every 15,000 on this model.

So maybe it wasn't meant to be done?

Edited by TheJackal

thanks for the response.

At the 180,000 service it says "replace air filter."

The last listed service in the book is 210,000 and there is no air filter replacement in this service.

I guess that means they change them at an interval greater than 30,000 km. The schedulled services are every 15,000 on this model.

So maybe it wasn't meant to be done?

I don't have a service book, but a Gregory's Repair manual. The air filter service intervals for my camry is every 20,000k's or 12 months whichever comes first. I would replace the air filter now as it is dirty, and replace it yourself when required. I'm sure you will buy it cheaper then what they will charge you.

With my timing belt, the car had only 113,000 ks on it but is coming up 12 years old, 2 years over the time period to replace it (150,000 or 10 years). So I made the decision to replace it as the cost would be greater to repair the engine if the timing belt broke.

Edited by Ozzcaddy