car crash :(

I am the proud owner of a 93 Camry CSI. It is an old car and not one to get excited about. However, I love it for oh so many reasons. I joined this forum just a few days ago eager to discuss with fellow Toyota owners all reasons I am proud to own this car. Until I ran into a pole this morning.

It's funny, I've probably spent more than the cars value in excessive/obsessive maintenance over the last two years of ownership. (I say excessive as most people with cars my age don't seem to think my head is on right when i do such things). Oil change ever 5k km, coolant change every 30k km and all other applicable servicing, premium fuel (vpower etc) ever 10 tanks, wax and buff with every wash, only ever use high quality parts/oils etc. When you do 50k km a year its expensive but you want something reliable.

Anyone else have any accident stories they want to share? Here's mine.

Driving to work, it's raining and the roads are obviously slippery. On the main road, turning into a side street, it's a right-hander going downhill. Starting turning and all is ok for about a second. Hit a bit of washed up oil and grime on the road. Front wheels start to aquaplane, lose all steering ability, drive straight into a pole on the left of the side street I'm entering. I was not moving that fast but the whole thing seemed to happen in a blink. It's a turn I take 7 days a week and until I lost traction it all felt very routine. Other days I've taken that corner at that speed, even in the rain, with not the slightest consequence. Odd because from tires are not very old. It all seems surreal. I do however realise that, in the end that is no excuse. A safe driver needs to take all things into consideration. Even if I know i can normally corner at that speed in the rain, as it turns out it was in fact too fast.

I only have 3rd party insurance. What do you guys think this is going to cost me. How where should I repair it or should I just get spare parts from the wreckers?

The bonnet is bent out of shape. The bumper bar is bent/broken and the plastic grill between the two is broken. The plastic fixture that holds the left headlight in is broken in some spots causing it to wobble.

Yes I am 20 and on my P plates. I do not speed. I am generally sensible. I do accept negligence on my part today and am taking it as a lesson.

That is a very hard lesson to learn and I know it really sucks. I did a similar thing to my Bro-in-law's RX2 in 1984 only I took out a 6 month old BMW 3 series. Thankfully he had unlimited 3rd party.

You will need to check if there is any structural damage. Have a look at the pressed in creases on the inner guards and see if they have been deformed. Compare both sides as they should be nearly identical

The car may well seem to drive OK but those crumple zones will tell the whole story.

Hope you can have it repaired and recovered without too much expense

Regards

Mark

Get a few quotes and see. Get the thing repaired structurally and do what you can - 2nd hand bumper and grill from wreckers etc. There will be plenty of these in the yards.

I recently wrote off my '88 Camry (only 2 years younger than I am!) - thank god I turned 25 2 weeks earlier! I was on full comprehensive since 18 years old so I am now rating 1 for life with my no claim bonus protected. Even though my insurance when I was 18 for the 1988 Camry was like $1500, I still paid because I knew there would come a time in the future when I would need it. Now I have bought myself an Aurion Sportivo and have it insured for $21,000 more than my Camry was paid out at for a premium that is only a few hundred dollars more than my Camry (this year the premium was like $500 full comprehensive). I never really understood why people who are young are on third party. Yes it's painful financially but will save you down the track when you hit a bit of bad luck.

Best of luck