2005 Corolla Sportivo maintainance

Hi Everybody,

I have a 2005 Corolla Sportivo zze-123r. I want to start doing my servicing and all the rest of it myself.

My car is approaching a major service as it is on 97000kms.

I want to change oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, brake pads, brake fluid, coolant, timing belt. Anything else that I have missed let me know please.

I have been told that the timing belt is really hard to change. Can somebody please let me know how do I do this.

If there is a guide that is available or something would be helpful. I saw other links for repair manual but none of them worked.

Please somebody help me out.

Also, what tools would I need to buy to be able to do all this. Also where is the best place to buy all of these materials like brake pads, fluid etc. I know I can get them from Super Cheap Auto, Repco, but where can I get it the cheapest.

Thanks Guys.

I do all my own servicing etc on my cars including the Sportivo, the 2ZZ motor is a timing chain not a belt so you can rule that one out. They are a very easy car to perform any basic work on. I use mainly product from the general automotive stores but do have mates who get me good prices on bits from Toyota etc.

Best to start with basic servicing and change oil and filter and then start moving onto other items such as brakes and what have you in my opinion.

It's a very rewarding experience and also saves you lots of money but i must say sometimes some work is better left to someone with the use of a hoist, i have a couple of mates with hoists so im really lucky there.

All of the tasks you listed are easily done at home.

The first and foremost advice id give is to buy yourself a decent socket set, spend a couple hundred bucks and you wont regret it.

Power steering fluid, gearbox oil/transmission fluid, fuel filter...

thats all i can think of now...its not hard to do evrything else, just be careful with bleeding the breaks and getting all the air out of them, dont just change

the break fluid get better stuff (you wouldnt really need to change it, upgrade if your keen), and dont skimp on the pads either.

Where r u located?

Fidz

Edited by Fidz-zze

Hi guys, thanks for the reply.

Located in Taylors Lakes, Melbourne. I have a friend who is a mechanic who can show me a few things which is good. The chain is a relief because he told me changing the timing belt can be a pain in the backside.

Yeah i was looking at getting a bahco set from bunnings. Just wanted a second opinion on this stuff. Thanks for the heads up!

U r close to me ;) another thing is the fuel filter. There ie a link to a couple of things u can do yourself in my signature. All the other stuff is pretty simple (ie. engine and transmission oil, filters sparkies. Brakes are easy if u know what ur doing but I recommend u to get the rotors resurfaced every time to change the pads. Also if ur not really braking hard, don't worry too much about changing brakes. When pads wear down just change them and not the rotors. Only change the rotors when u wear them down.

Goodluck mate