Question about type of rear/tail break, signal light bulb

Hi everyone,

My car is a 2005 Hatch Corolla Ascent

I am looking at replacing the rear brake light bulbs and the signal bulbs with LED ones. However, I don't seem to find the correct model/type of these bulbs (using both the search function in this forum and Google) and I will need the correct type cos I gonna buy them online (ebay).

I found the type of the license number light bulbs to be 501 T10 wedges bulb (on this site: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115346&st=0&p=1043413&hl=bulb%20license&fromsearch=1entry1043413), but had no luck for the brake & signal bulbs.

I just love the look of LED brake light and signal on some new models (e.g. 2010+ Camry), and I hope replacing my halogen bulb with the LED bought online can get somewhere close to that. Do you have any advice?

Thanks, everyone :).

My 2002 Corolla wagon uses the wedge type LEDs found here http://www.wardenjp.com/stores/7443.html.

7443 red are stop/tail 7443 amber are turn and 7443 Xenon White are reversing.

I use the top row types and am very happy with them.

My dad's 2006 Ascent hatch uses bayonet types found here http://www.wardenjp.com/stores/11567.html.

1156 amber and white are single pinned, for turn and reversing, 1157 are double pinned, for the stop/tail combination.

I use the second row down types for my Lite Ace.

Lots of types around on eBay it really is a suck it and see if you like the results.

The SMD types I have found to be brighter than the standard LED types.

The colour of the LED's matters, I find that using the right colour for the right spot does make a big difference, reds for stop/tail etc.

You will need to check your car for which type is used, I was surprised the 2006 Corolla used bayonet types rather than the wedge

types I took to install.

soundbyte

• Like 1

My 2002 Corolla wagon uses the wedge type LEDs found here http://www.wardenjp.com/stores/7443.html.

7443 red are stop/tail 7443 amber are turn and 7443 Xenon White are reversing.

I use the top row types and am very happy with them.

My dad's 2006 Ascent hatch uses bayonet types found here http://www.wardenjp.com/stores/11567.html.

1156 amber and white are single pinned, for turn and reversing, 1157 are double pinned, for the stop/tail combination.

I use the second row down types for my Lite Ace.

Lots of types around on eBay it really is a suck it and see if you like the results.

The SMD types I have found to be brighter than the standard LED types.

The colour of the LED's matters, I find that using the right colour for the right spot does make a big difference, reds for stop/tail etc.

You will need to check your car for which type is used, I was surprised the 2006 Corolla used bayonet types rather than the wedge

types I took to install.

soundbyte

Thanks for ur recommendation,

The sites you recommended do not work, 404 Page not found, would you please check them again :(

The 2006 Ascent hatch of your dad should be very similar to mine. So I hope after looking at the sites (once they works) it should be what im looking for.

After replacing with those LEDs, what do u think about the result? Is it any similar to the cars with pre-installed LEDs? Will it gonna look "cool"?

Cheers,

It seems that the posting added the full stop after the link to the link URL.

Here they are without the full stop.

http://www.wardenjp.com/stores/7443.html

These are the ones I used in the 2002 wagon.

http://www.wardenjp.com/stores/11567.html

These are the ones I used in the Lite Ace.

As to being the same as the newer cars I would think not as good, but these are developed from scratch

and without taking the tail light assembly apart and putting in LED's in an array not sure what else you might do.

You might also look at eBay item number 190533434327 for something different.

soundbyte

• Like 1

Thank soundbyte, I'm researching that website now, seems like they have a good range of LEDs. The stop/tail light bulb should have dual strength, i.e. 21/5watts and I'm not sure if these LEDs have that.

OMG, i'm confused now. Why aren't there any description of these bulbs in the manual? :blink:

I just have a few more questions

1. Are the front turn signal bulb and the rear ones exactly the same, i.e. I can just buy 4 of them at the same time? Because that's what I can see in the instruction manual, 21W Type D. If yes, what type of bulb is it?

2. Is it easy to install these kinds of LED and they will work normally? Since the front turn signals are supposed to flash, are those LEDs gonna flash just normally like the filament bulbs? I've heard something about "NO ERROR bulb", so is it easy to get some kinds of error?

Since I need the keyword/type of the bulb to find online, so it would be very much appreciated if anyone can find it.

Cheers,

Edited by KHIEM

I have managed to take them out and took a few photos:

This is the board/base where all the bulbs are fitted

DSC_5173.jpg

Back

DSC_5183.jpg

DSC_5180.jpg

DSC_5184.jpg

DSC_5186.jpg

DSC_5176.jpg

Can anyone please help me ID these bulbs :(?

Edited by KHIEM

Nice, good clear photos.

The bulb type is 1156 for the single filament and 1157 for the double filament.

I would get 1157 red for tail/stop http://www.wardenjp.com/1157_13wled1.jpg , 1156 white for reverse http://www.wardenjp.com/1157_13wled2.jpg , 1156 amber for turn http://www.wardenjp.com/1157_13wled5.jpg

Number plate is a T10 wedge, you may have problems with space using the normal T10 LED's such as http://www.wardenjp.com/5smd4.jpg

I broke one and am using the http://www.wardenjp.com/1wled82.jpg

Without seeing the front turn/park globes I cannot help with the globe ID's.

I think the park will be T10 wedge, the turn 1156 amber, but may be 7443 amber.

If you change to the LED's for turn you will need to get something like these, http://www.wardenjp.com/stores/flasher_relay9_accessory.jpg

otherwise your turn lights will flash very quickly. Replacement position is under the drivers side kick panel.

Pull old one out carefully after depressing the holding lugs, install new electronic flasher relay, job done for the turn lights.

You can also change the side turn lights with LED's http://www.wardenjp.com/5smd5.jpg

Easy to replace just hold the plastic turn light and gently push forward and it should un-clip, if not try pushing towards the rear.

soundbyte

Hi,

That's what I need, thank u for that.

With regards to the flasher, is simply replacing the flasher unit will help to solve the 'fast-flashing' problem? They (the website) recommends me to buy the LOAD RESISTOR and install it paralel with the bulb, but i find that a bit more complicated than replacing the flasher unit alone. And, do we have to change all the 4 signals to LED at a time when we use the LED FLASHER?

I found the flasher unit at the location you told me, but how would you get to it? I mean there is an auxliary compartment/box located right in front of it, how would you get that box out in order to reach the flasher?

I'm placing the order now, but still not sure about the flasher unit.

Thanks, sountbyte

Pleased you have now got a better idea with regard to globe types.

You can install all LED's when you have the new flasher unit, it will drive all turn lights, even those that are incandescent

as well as LED types.

No resistors needed.

Resistors are needed if you want to use the standard flasher unit as it relies on the current drawn

through the turn indicator lights to work, thus the need to place the resistors across the LED's.

Not ideal as far as I am concerned.

The standard flasher unit can be modified but that is probably a bit too much work, is a bit technical and involves

making a new sense resistor for the unit and then replacing the one in the unit.

Electronic flasher is just a direct replacement for the standard one that is installed.

Sorry, misinformed you about where the flasher unit is, not behind the kick panel.

You will need to remove the drop down tray/pocket on the dash near the door, open the tray and lift upward

(there are two lugs on the bottom of the tray which clip into the dash) and then you can remove the

tray, bottom first and the flasher unit is nearest the drivers side of the car.

You will feel it clicking if you put on your emergency lights.

Careful of the safety lug/s on the flasher that need to be disabled to get the flasher unit out, remove and

replace with the electronic version.

soundbyte

Thanks for the instruction,

I have managed to see the flasher unit sit with a bunch of other plugs, however, I still can't take the drop down pocket/tray using your instruction (the auxiliary box). I tried to lift upward, but it did not seem to move anything. Do I have to use a lot of force?

One question about the back-up light at rear: what is that used for? When is it turned on? Is it just like the rear fog light like many Eu cars have?

Cheers

The tray does take some effort to get out, it must be open, the lugs that connect to the dash are at the bottom

and once they are released then you can bring the bottom of the tray away from the dash and remove it completely from the dash

giving access to the flasher unit.

I will try and get some photos tomorrow, a bit dark now.

When you select reverse the reversing lights should come on.

Not sure that there is an EU type fog lights on Corollas released in OZ.

soundbyte

Right photos,

post-16070-0-09026700-1305690740_thumb.j

Compartment/tray.

post-16070-0-04561300-1305690752_thumb.j

Compartment/tray open.

post-16070-0-53852200-1305690768_thumb.j

This shows the tray removed and the attachment point to the dash at the bottom of the tray.

The slot in the centre is where the tray comes out.

post-16070-0-79768700-1305690781_thumb.j

This shows the tray and the connection lug onto the dash.

When you lift the tray you will be disconnecting this connection.

Once you have this part disconnected you need to lower the tray and allow it and

the lugs on the side of the tray to come out through the slots in photo 3

post-16070-0-30267300-1305690787_thumb.j

Connection on bottom of tray.

post-16070-0-67953100-1305690798_thumb.j

This shows the flasher unit in position.

To release the flasher unit you need to slide a flat piece of metal down the hole in the flasher unit (brown coloured part with the long flat slot).

Hope this answers your questions.

soundbyte

Thanks, soundbyte for the nice and clean photos, i think I have the idea now. Esp the picture of the lug illustrating how it is connected to the dash, it's really helpful.

I'll try to take it out and keep you posted. Still waiting for the shipping. Can't wait to have some LEDs looking :P!

I tried to take the tray out and yes, i succeded. thanks to your instruction.

You know the front signal/turning bulb, do you have any tip to take it out? My problem is: I saw quite a few of wires and obstacles that prevented me to reach the bulb's socket, therefore, I couldn't even take it out to have a look (that's why I hope the rear signal is identical to the front signal). Do you have any tip to reach the socket and get the bulb out for replacement?

Same thing happens for the license number bulb: the right one is ok, but the left one has a few wires and stuff in front of it, so it's quite hard to reach.

For the wedge bulb (license bulb), how can we take it out of the socket, do we just use force and try to unplug it from the socket?

Thanks for your advice,

Cheers,

Have you managed to remove the flasher?

After I read your thread, I'm also keen to replace the standard flasher to electronic.

Do you know how many pins for the corolla's flasher?

Can you please tell me where I can get the electronic flasher?

Thanks

Thanks, soundbyte for the nice and clean photos, i think I have the idea now. Esp the picture of the lug illustrating how it is connected to the dash, it's really helpful.

I'll try to take it out and keep you posted. Still waiting for the shipping. Can't wait to have some LEDs looking :P!

Have you managed to remove the flasher?

After I read your thread, I'm also keen to replace the standard flasher to electronic.

Do you know how many pins for the corolla's flasher?

Can you please tell me where I can get the electronic flasher?

Thanks

Yea, I hope the new LEDs will look better, I just love the way it flashes :).

After following the instruction of sountbyte, yes, I have managed to reach the flasheruni, but not taken it out yet because still waiting for the LED-flasher-unit to arrive.

Seems like u have a 05 hatch, which is same to me, so I assume the flasher unit would be the same for both of us.

That means, this is the one u are looking for:

flasher_relay9.jpg

This photo shows its pins.

flasher_relay8.jpg

I got mine from here: Flasher Unit

Hope that helps,

Repost my question:

You know the front signal/turning bulb, do you have any tip to take it out? My problem is: I saw quite a few of wires and obstacles that prevented me to reach the bulb's socket, therefore, I couldn't even take it out to have a look (that's why I hope the rear signal is identical to the front signal). Do you have any tip to reach the socket and get the bulb out for replacement?

Same thing happens for the license number bulb: the right one is ok, but the left one has a few wires and stuff in front of it, so it's quite hard to reach.

For the wedge bulb (license bulb), how can we take it out of the socket, do we just use force and try to unplug it from the socket?

Edited by KHIEM

For the license bulb, don't use any force because you will break the socket.

Is either clockwise or anti-clockwise turn, I can't remember which.

The difficutly is the very tight spot around the socket.

If you have any kids, ask the kid to turn the socket for you.

For the front signal bulb, I have not attempt to replace the bulb yet so I can't give you any comments.

All I know is the front signal bulb is same as the rear signal bulb.

Replacing the front turn globes should be the same both sides but as you have found more difficult

on the passengers side.

Cannot remember how I got mine out, may have removed the battery and moved the fuse box.

It may also be an alternative to remove the whole front light assembly, I've never done that though.

Make sure you test your globes before you replace them in the final position/s.

LED globes may have to be rotated in the socket as they can be polarity sensitive, that is they will only work

one way in the socket due to the voltage polarity of the socket.

You can take out the connections from the socket and change them to suit the globe, I had to do this on the AE101.

As for the rear license plate lights, not sure the wagon is the same as a hatch. Must be similar.

I do know one of the lights did take some getting out, a small hand would be helpful.

To remove them from the mounting point it is a twist or turn motion as "the-converter" mentioned.

To get the wedge globe out of its socket a piece of plastic tube a bit smaller than the diameter of the globe

is good. Just push the tube over the globe in the socket and pull gently, fingers can do it

but be careful you do not break the globe as you can cut your fingers easily on the glass.

The flasher unit seems to be the same right through the ZZE-122R model range, most likely the same for all late model

Toyota vehicles.

I have used the other flasher unit the three pin version offered for sale on the web site you linked to in my Lite Ace

and the AE101 with both vehicles LEDcentric.

soundbyte

To get the wedge globe out of its socket a piece of plastic tube a bit smaller than the diameter of the globe

is good. Just push the tube over the globe in the socket and pull gently, fingers can do it

but be careful you do not break the globe as you can cut your fingers easily on the glass.

Thanks for the help sountbyte, I dont quite get this part (the blue words). I've tried to use bare hand and pull it out, but seemed like it was a bit slippery and I couldn't really pull it out easily.

Anyone knows how to take the front turn/signal bulb(s) out? I tried to un-screw the 2 screws on top of them, but it seemed like they were not the only two screws that I needed to unscrew, the whole headlight unit could not be taken out, so there may be some more underneath that I could not reach :(. Will there anything wrong with the headlight alignment if we take the headlight out and put it back, like doing at home?

So far, only the front turn/signal is the only step that I feel a bit difficult to DIY. Hope to receive some TIPs from everyone :).

I thought there for a minute that the blue words were like #$@%@ but I see on looking closer you mean

about the plastic tube idea.

Basically I mean to get a short section of plastic tubing a bit smaller in inside diameter than the globe and

place the tube over the globe, then pull the tube and the globe should come out of the socket.

I just had another thought.

Get some electrical tape and wrap the sticky side around the globe once, then crimp the tape and pull.

post-16070-0-59601100-1305975643_thumb.j

Like shown.

I know the front lights can be removed DIY you will just have try very hard.

soundbyte

I've recieved the bulbs and installed all the rear ones. Sadly, the front turn signal is not the same to the rear one. The pin on the bulb of the front signal is aligned at 150 degrees, not opposite, which makes it become a 7507 (amber) bulb (Not 1156 like what I mistakenly bought).

The rear ones look beautiful, the flashing style of LEDs is attractive. Thanks to soundbyte's method of using sticky tape to pull the wedge bulb out, it worked beautifully. :-)

At the meantime, while waiting for the replacement of the wrong type bulbs, Is it ok if I use LEDs for rear and filaments for front with the LED-flasher unit? Apparantly they flash ok, but not sure if there's any kind of long term damage.

Edited by KHIEM

Not sure what to make of the front lights being different from 1156.

At least now we all know what type is installed in your 2005 Corolla Ascent Hatch.

Nice to know that you got the lights out with the tape idea.

It should be fine to use the flasher for both incandescent and LED turn signal globes until your new LED's arrive.

Front lights not going to be as nice looking as the rears though.

Did you use warden_jp2002 as the seller, if so are you satisfied?

soundbyte