RA60 Celica Running Very Rich

Pavrocky

Hello,

I drive a 1982 RA60 Celica Coupe. About five weeks ago, it started running very rich, as if being choked all the time. Until it reaches in excess of 70degrees operating temperature, it struggles to idle due to how it is running so rich or being "over choked". I checked all of the vacuum lines and these appear in good working order. I found that the BVSV on the Thermostat housing had both plastic lugs broken off and as such, I have replaced this part. At the same time, I have replaced air filter, spark plugs, thermostat, oil and fuel filter. It remains that none of this rectified the situation. I am wondering if it is possibly an electrical problem, or if maybe the carbie needs to be removed and cleaned thoroughly, although it does seem to idle and run much better when at operating temperature.

Thanks,

Pav

15/07/11 Since the original posting, I have removed and cleaned the EGR (Exhaust Gas Reticulation) vacuum modulator and filter assembly as well as the PCV (Positive Crank Ventilation) Valve. Next will be the removal and testing of the EGR Valve. Fingers crossed!

Pav

I have fixed it! I purchased a carbie kit and in the process of removing the carbie, I noticed one of the nuts was not tight holding it to the inlet manifold. I decided to reconnect all the vacuum lines and fuel line etc and give it a go. Surely it couldn't be that simple - YES, IT WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Carbie kit is in my stock of supplies for when I need to recondition the engine.

Pav

Edited by Pavrocky