High idling on the 2zzge even when warm (solved!)

hey all

i have a really funny problem with my sportivo.

after sitting so long, i havent been driving it these last 3 months and the battery has gone flat a few times.

yesterday i started up and he warmed it up. i sh#t myself as he left the engine running for only 15 mins (idling) and the temp gauge went within 5mm from the "H"... sad.png

any damage in the internals from over heating? anyways before i did that, i noticed the climate control was removed from the car. the fan will not work and the coolant will not flow due to the heater core coolant not circulating. so i plugged in the climate control before and the fan worked ok again.

but since i started it, it has been running at 2k rpm even when warm. there was a mechanic who hooked up a diagnostic machine on the OBDII and no fault codes came up. i reset the ecu again and still the same thing happened...

the ONLY thing i did change was the stock box to a injen CAI. I made sure that all the hoses that are meant to be blocked WERE BLOCKED and there were no vaccuum leaks anywhere in the pipes in the bay. i tried the TRD CAI before and that ran fine...

mechanic said that maybe it just hasnt been driven for a long time, thats why its idling that high?

i did clean the icv not long ago so this shouldn't be a problem. the only thing i did was installed an injen CAI.

i'm outta ideas. has anyone had this problem before?

thanks all.

• 9 months later...

ok this problem has resurfaced again. this time its a worry because at one time the car was trying to accelerate when i was trying to brake and after putting it in neutral, the bloody idle jumped to 3k and stayed there! :o

ad to blip the throttle to get i back down again. lately its been idling around 1k and sometimes up to 1.7k when its warm. ive tried to change the air filter, reset ecu, cleaned throttle body, icv, injector cleaner, spark plug change.

this is getting annoying. if anyone has this problem out there and has solved it, please tell me! -_-

ive tried to clean the icv completely but no cotton bud or ball will squeeze in there to completely clean it or else i'll just get a fluff stuck in there making it worse. anyone got a method? maybe soaking the whole thing in some solution to fully break it all up and loosen the dirt?

nope... and i dont intend to as a fix haha. well guys rang toyota for a new iacv and the cost is...

..520 bucks!!! <_< and 3 to 4 weeks export from japan. fk this, i'm going to try and take the iacv further apart to properly clean the inside of it.

judt dissconnect it and use the adjuster on the end of the throttle cable attached to the TB

ive just deleted it for my celi and power fc and supercharger plays havoc on it,

So is it this screw thing where it determines the positioning of the throttle?

Anyways took it out again -_- and this time i took off the electrical part controlling the iacv too. When i turned the small magnet by hand, it was very grainy like sand on metal between the metal parts. Sprayed the crap outta the iacv and kept on flicking the shaft round and round and surely enough some of the deposit broke loose and just sprayed more cleaner to get it out. Made sure this time i get that cotton bud right in there and scrubbed it as much as i can.

Plugged it back in and reset the ecu once more and after a few minutes idled to 800rpm. After aittle drive it still idles at 1000rpm but after a minute or so it drops down to around 850-900. A little more it then drops to 800rpm. So its better somewhat but still not perfect. Lets see after a couple hundred kms and see whether its settled or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I randomly am experiencing the same problems as you Keshin... Randomly my car will idle around the 1.8K rpm mark and will stay there and usually ive noticed its the day after i have the aircon turned on in the car... Not too sure why but then randomly after some driving (30mins) it will go back down to around 950 its almost like its compensating for the a/c even though its not on any ideas..? im running a Power FC and everything is hooked up right and the a/c idle works fine????

i could be wrong but i have a feeling the body computer on the celica controls the A/C regulation and we dont really have one so it might be the case .... i have it happen on occasion .... easiest way ive found to get it back to normal is to either turn the a/c on/off or turn the steering wheel to apply electrical load and it just settles down ...... oh and Duy stop sulking :P :P :P :P and enjoy ur car

• 3 weeks later...

so after all the sulking i finally got another throttle body assembly with the 2 sensors (kindly donated by stock from sydney) :)

i put it in and it idled higher around 1.6k when warm <_< when i'm driving and going into neutral, the revs drop and then bounce back to 1.7k and then down to 800 and then up again to 1.7k. i suspect faulty/dirty iacv...

so i started to swap a few things over. first i opened the iacv on the other throttle body and checked it. seemed dirty but thought it was still ok. then i pulled the whole thing apart using the 5 star torx. oh my... the bloody thing has seized stuck from all the grime inside! :o

tried to clean it, made it abit better but it still wasn't vibrating when i plugged it in the engine loom to test.

so swapped this one with my clean iacv and problem solvered :) idle is now sitting comfortably around where it should be... 800rpm ;)

so on my throttle body this little bastard was faulty

20130105_231711.jpg

and on the other throttle body the iacv is seized...

awesome day, now i sleep -_- and no bill i dont stop until i find a solution to the problem -_-