2004 corolla 1zz-fe

LaWZeYM

Hey guys,

So the go is, I'm having a major problem with the 04 corolla zre-122 starting. It starts perfect when cold no problems. Unfortunately when I go to start the engine at operating temperature (give it about 5mins after the engine has been killed though), it is difficult to start. It cracks and cranks and cranks. But this may help, i've learnt to crank the engine for 3 seconds. After when the engine has stopped cranking, I can hear the fuel pump, pumping fuel e.g. building the fuel pressure in the lines. Then starts fine

Would this be a problem with the fuel pressure regulator (if any exist).

These are things i've performed;

1: New fuel filter (other had dirty deposits in it)

2: Cleaned throttle body with quality throttle body and carby cleaner even unbolting it from intake manifold (NULON brand)

3: Changed sparkies with bosch originals (not iridiums)

4: New battery

5: Fuel additive e.g. injector cleaner

So I'm out of ideas too... Oh yeah and I don't believe in using E10 blended fuel either always 95RON sometimes 98RON fuel. Do you think injectors are dirty? Or ECU playing up? Is it a common problem?

Edited by LaWZeYM

Hey guys,

So the go is, I'm having a major problem with the 04 corolla zre-122 starting. It starts perfect when cold no problems. Unfortunately when I go to start the engine at operating temperature (give it about 5mins after the engine has been killed though), it is difficult to start. It cracks and cranks and cranks. But this may help, i've learnt to crank the engine for 3 seconds. After when the engine has stopped cranking, I can hear the fuel pump, pumping fuel e.g. building the fuel pressure in the lines. Then starts fine

2: Cleaned throttle body with quality throttle body and carby cleaner even unbolting it from intake manifold (NULON brand)

So I'm out of ideas too... Oh yeah and I don't believe in using E10 blended fuel either always 95RON sometimes 98RON fuel. Do you think injectors are dirty? Or ECU playing up? Is it a common problem?

Can't say I am 100% sure, but this sounds like it could be causing longer crank times... try using platinum or even Iridium Spark Plugs if you can budget for it.

Evo

Hey guys,

Can't say I am 100% sure, but this sounds like it could be causing longer crank times... try using platinum or even Iridium Spark Plugs if you can budget for it.

Evo

I do have platinums in it. I was told iridiums were not required, because the engine is not of a big size compared to my BA Falcon, which specifies them to be used. Ha yeah real long cranking times, say 15seconds or sometimes more. But like i've said I don't put the strain on starter motor, I crank it for 3 seconds then stall it. Fuel pump pumps fuel boosting the pressure in the lines, then starts no problem. I even had a mate to help me out, disconnected the fuel line near the firewall, and as soon at its cranking fuel spews out no problems. It's really weird. :S

Hey dude, im having similar problems with my 2zz after i put it in my sedan, cold starts 100% fine but after 5-10 min of running, then trying to start the thing takes a long time, maybe 5seconds for ingition, Hmmmmm, thinking about it now with the fuel pressures i have the 1zz fuel pump running in the 2zz system and i know they differ in design but not so sure for psi? I have also cleaned out the carby, yet to change out the sparkies (on the cards for next pay) and havnt looked at the fuel filter at all.....i'd be really interested in findout out if you can solve this problem

Hey dude, im having similar problems with my 2zz after i put it in my sedan, cold starts 100% fine but after 5-10 min of running, then trying to start the thing takes a long time, maybe 5seconds for ingition, Hmmmmm, thinking about it now with the fuel pressures i have the 1zz fuel pump running in the 2zz system and i know they differ in design but not so sure for psi? I have also cleaned out the carby, yet to change out the sparkies (on the cards for next pay) and havnt looked at the fuel filter at all.....i'd be really interested in findout out if you can solve this problem

Well i've got a mate with the same problem with his BA xr6 falcon. He said that hes not worried anymore, even his girlfriends uncle that used to work for ford, said don;t worry about it. So I might just live with it untill I get rid of the thing. Oh yeah how many k's you get to the tank? 2zz doesnt have a carby, i think you mentioned something about it. Dont you mean the throttle body and intake manifold?

Edited by LaWZeYM

try undoing the fuel cap to the tank to see if there's any vacuum before trying to hot-start it.

Have you messed with the stock purge valves at all?

Could also try with a different key to see if it's something to do with the immobiliser not disengaging correctly.

Toyota should be able to pull some data from the ECU with their scan tool which would help pin-point the problem.

Edited by CHA54

Yeah throttle body........oops :P.......it was my first time tearing out a complete car to replace with another complete car...:P so i was kinda just hopeing that evrything would fall into place....well, as soon as i can get the millions of little things done with the rolla then ill have a go at cracking this nut! cheers.

Fidz.

try undoing the fuel cap to the tank to see if there's any vacuum before trying to hot-start it.

Have you messed with the stock purge valves at all?

Could also try with a different key to see if it's something to do with the immobiliser not disengaging correctly.

Toyota should be able to pull some data from the ECU with their scan tool which would help pin-point the problem.

No I havent played around with the stock purge valves. Is'nt it near the firewall on the passenger's side close to the suspension hump thingo lol. Yeah i've even tried with a different key too. My good mechanic connected the diagnostic tool aswell no bad readings came up... so might take a trip to toyota. Although i've got it booked in for Thursday at a good fuel injection and auto electrics garage that i've dealed with before. I was happy with their service so i'm leaving it up to them. I'll let you know guys whats the go with this screw up... if they can figure it :P ha.

Edited by LaWZeYM