Camry 1998 - Head unit & Remote central locking w/ alarm installation?

Zenki

Hi guys,

I'm an international student living in Adelaide, SA and I'm looking for a mechanic shop to install my Kenwood head unit and a remote central locking kit with alarm for my 98 Camry Vienta CSX.

How much would it normally cost to get those things done? I haven't got a remote control kit & alarm yet, which brand/type is recommended?

I don't mind traveling around Adelaide so anywhere but cheap and trusted.

Regards,

H

Hi guys,

I'm an international student living in Adelaide, SA and I'm looking for a mechanic shop to install my Kenwood head unit and a remote central locking kit with alarm for my 98 Camry Vienta CSX.

How much would it normally cost to get those things done? I haven't got a remote control kit & alarm yet, which brand/type is recommended?

I don't mind traveling around Adelaide so anywhere but cheap and trusted.

Regards,

H

Well the head unit is easy to do yourself. It will usually cost about an hour worth of labour which can range from $65+. I would definitely do the head unit yourself. Just go to auto1, autobarn or supercheap and get a Aeropro toyota harness adapter. Then it is pretty much a plug and play.

To take the facia around the head unit off;

1. Take the ashtray, ciggy plug out

2. Using the ciggy plug hole, and the ash tray hole, you now have something to hold on and just pull it straight out. It may take a little bit of force but the bottom 2 clips will pop out. Then using the middle part of the facia that you have just loosened, pull that part outwards and it will pop out the top 2 clips. Unplug the ciggy lighter.

3. Undo the 4 screws holding the headunit in place.

4. Using your harness you just bought, you plug it into the stock harness, and then into the kenwood harness.

5. Then swap the headunits out and put everything back into place

If you are doing it the first time, it may take an hour to an hour an a half. If you have done something similar in other cars or if you are familiar then it'll take like 30mins max.

And I thought all the Vienta came with central locking. As a matter of fact every single model of the camry had central locking. What happened to it?

And I thought all the Vienta came with central locking. As a matter of fact every single model of the camry had central locking. What happened to it?

Thanks for your guide on installing the head unit. I will try to figure it out.

You're right, this Vienta came with central locking but the previous owner told me that it didn't have any remote so I guess I would have to do something if I wanted a remote! What's your advice?

What I'd do is go to Toyota and buy a remote and then get the guys to help you with programming it in. The remote is like $40 max and if you ask nicely the guys usually just do the programming for free coz it takes like 1 min.

And here is a link with pics for the headunit install.

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Toyota/PDF/869037.asp