hilux help

Braddq

hey guys,

so my car is playing up. the engine light will come on after about 10 mins of driving or if its been run that day and the car will backfire when decelerating. when i start the car it will also hold the revs high and sometimes the revs will raise and drop and do that till u drive it for a bit but afterwards it sits at about 1000 revs when stopped. the engine light will turn off sometimes and the car will run fine until the problem comes back and also when u are driving at about 2000rpm it kangaroos(best way to describe it) it will decelerate slightly then return causing a rocking sort of motion whilst driving could this be the throttle position sensor? any help is greatly appreciated

cheers brad

have you checked spark plugs ?

*sorry mate, im not a mechanic, nor mechanically minded. Just taking a bite out of this*

Jeffy thats the first place I would look, because it could definitely be a cause of a problem like this - and its an easy fix!

Braddq - Does it happen with any fuel you put in it? Assuming it does, then Id take the spark plug advice and add to it everything else in the ignition system - dizzy, leads, etc. When you look at the plugs make sure that they are gapped right and check to see whether or not there is oil getting into the combustion chamber (youll see the oil on the end of the plug).

I know Toyotas sometimes hold their revs high when you start them from a cold start to warm the engine up quickly - if it goes away after a bit then i wouldnt worry to much about that...

Also, how long has it been since you had the car serviced? Your fuel filter may need replacing which could also cause this sort of problem (if it is an old fuel filter) and your fuel pressure regulator would also be worthy of consideration.

It could also be your TPS, but my money would be on something fuel or ignition related..

Let us know how you go!

Cheers

Kev

I took the tps connection off today and started the car and it did the same thing but now its holding the revs at 1500rpm when the motor is warm and wont drop them but the engine light is not on its wierd

I took the tps connection off today and started the car and it did the same thing but now its holding the revs at 1500rpm when the motor is warm and wont drop them but the engine light is not on its wierd

so the engine light didnt come on at all after running for a while?

It comes on every now and then but its not as bad as it used to be i bought a new tps so ill chuck that in and see how it goes but now the revs wont drop below 1500rpm when idling