Weired whining noise

Hey guys

Recently I've been getting this whining noise every time I accelerate or down shift. I Normally hear it between idle and 2000 - 2500 rpm. after that is goes away. Could it be my battery or alternator? Because last night the car didn't even start when my foot was on the brake and the brake lights were on. Or could it be because i'm in need of an oil and gearbox oil change. the car feels quite laggy when i accelerate. oh and the cars just about to hit 70000kms and everything is stock.

anyone else experienced this problem?

Cheers

Hey guys

Recently I've been getting this whining noise every time I accelerate or down shift. I Normally hear it between idle and 2000 - 2500 rpm. after that is goes away. Could it be my battery or alternator? Because last night the car didn't even start when my foot was on the brake and the brake lights were on. Or could it be because i'm in need of an oil and gearbox oil change. the car feels quite laggy when i accelerate. oh and the cars just about to hit 70000kms and everything is stock.

Cheers

its a hidden super charger LOL :D

Based on the information given I'd guess an alternator. Battery won't whine; but the hard start from not enough electricity in theb attery will becaused by the alternator not providing enough power to the battery. Laggy acceleration could be caused by not enough spark getting to the plugs. Does it whine while free revving? If so pop the bonnet and listen around the engine bay and have a sniff of the alernator to see if it smells like burning electricity. If you need a new one just get a genuine Denso one, same thing as the Toyota one but about 40% cheaper. Can get generic ones for even less.

Hey guys

Cheers

its a hidden super charger LOL :D

haha i wish man, would be a dream :P

Based on the information given I'd guess an alternator. Battery won't whine; but the hard start from not enough electricity in theb attery will becaused by the alternator not providing enough power to the battery. Laggy acceleration could be caused by not enough spark getting to the plugs. Does it whine while free revving? If so pop the bonnet and listen around the engine bay and have a sniff of the alernator to see if it smells like burning electricity. If you need a new one just get a genuine Denso one, same thing as the Toyota one but about 40% cheaper. Can get generic ones for even less.

Wow SuperDave, you really are super. I did open my bonnet and rev it a little, the whining is coming from the alternator side of the engine bay, and YES! there is a smell of burning electricity. thought the engine smelt a bit different haha :P . hmm will i need to change my spark plugs as well or just the alternator? also would you know how much it will cost roughly to buy a Denso alternator and get a mechanic to install it?

Thanks a lot for the help

Wow SuperDave, you really are super. I did open my bonnet and rev it a little, the whining is coming from the alternator side of the engine bay, and YES! there is a smell of burning electricity. thought the engine smelt a bit different haha :P . hmm will i need to change my spark plugs as well or just the alternator? also would you know how much it will cost roughly to buy a Denso alternator and get a mechanic to install it?

Thanks a lot for the help

I think mine was $350 from memory, while the Toyota one was about $600. I did the work myself, but a mechanic could have it knocked over in about 30 minutes, 1 hour tops, so about $90/hr for a mechanic. No need for new spark plugs.

ahh thanks for the help guys. might source one out at the wreckers first if it works out to be significantly cheaper. is it a common issue for the alternator to get damaged?

ahh thanks for the help guys. might source one out at the wreckers first if it works out to be significantly cheaper. is it a common issue for the alternator to get damaged?

i think so. mine went, i replaced the bearings in it, still the same, got another one. so much better, bit sick of the noise.

i think so. mine went, i replaced the bearings in it, still the same, got another one. so much better, bit sick of the noise.

yeah the noise it really irritating. did you get noise when you bought a new one? or you have the noise when you replaced the bearings?

yeah the noise it really irritating. did you get noise when you bought a new one? or you have the noise when you replaced the bearings?

no it was noisy when i turned the car off, then restarted it 2 minutes later.. was weird, diagnosed as the alternator, i removed it, pulled it apart and replaced the bearings, put it back together still noisy, so i got a 2nd hand alternator, fitted it, noise was gone..

no it was noisy when i turned the car off, then restarted it 2 minutes later.. was weird, diagnosed as the alternator, i removed it, pulled it apart and replaced the bearings, put it back together still noisy, so i got a 2nd hand alternator, fitted it, noise was gone..

oh i see. was it hard replacing the alternator? Anything to look out for? of and does the battery have to be full before installing it? I wanna do it myself to save some money and learn something new :lol:

No not hard, just d/c the battery cause u will have to take the positive off the alternator and don't wanna short it

19mm for the belt tentioner

12mm top bolt for the alternator (frOm memory)

14mm for the bottom

12mm for the bracket at the top.

10mm positive cable on the alternator.

And the wiring..