gen 3 camry CAI + Heat shield logistics

synchronicity

Hi all, first post, have had my 1997 3rd gen 3vz-fe camry/vienta for a few months now and have been enjoying my time with it, new car audio setup cleaned things up etc but I thought I would ask for some thoughts on the best way to go about creating a heat shield and a custom CAI for the new pod filter I installed.

I've removed the resonator box, the air-box itself and chucked on a pod filter from an auto store and positioned it as close to the stock air intake as possible, however my cars engine bay does get quite warm which as a lot of you know will decrease power gains somewhat.

I don't have the budget to realistically improve performance so I'm going for the next best thing and improving the sound and smoothness somewhat, I've found that power throughout the rev range is more consistent since I've attached the after-market filter, but I have noticed a little wilting of the power on long hot trips.

What I'm considering doing is creating a "heat shield" as described elsewhere with the dual purpose of keeping out engine heat, and avoiding the possibility of being defected by having the pod filter somewhat contained. Budget is an issue but I don't think I'm going to find any pre-built solutions on ebay for a camry anyway, so I was thinking some aluminium sheeting and shaped it around the filter and neck of the air intake, it could be quite difficult and Ideally I'd like to have a clean looking finish to it all, so I was thinking of either painting it or covering it with that imitation carbon fibre material after it was done.

I'll be honest though based on the angle and logistics of it all I don't really how to do it with any level of effectiveness.

I'm also trying to figure out a good source of fresh air, there appears to be a suitable opening near where what looks like a foglight as pictured

391833_10150405822943214_698048213_8543099_1077726698_n.jpg

I was thinking of running some piping there but I'm not sure it's big enough.

the stock air pipe doesn't look like it's doing much to be honest.

375321_10150405824313214_698048213_8543105_960975603_n.jpg

and pictured is pretty much the only source of fresh air for the car, keep in mind though that it is hopefully drawing some air in from where the resonator box used to be attached near the wheel alcove but not with any force or flow.

380025_10150405823318214_698048213_8543102_212524649_n.jpg

do bear in mind once I have a longer term solution the pod filter will be better secured, even if just with a cable tie.

Really what I'm asking is for some advice, I've seen and read about a few gen 4 solutions and was wondering if anyone experienced with gen 3's and what I'm looking to do could lend some expertise or knowledge. Apologies if this is a repost, I couldn't find any relevant gen 3 threads.

Edited by synchronicity

To be honest it won't be worth your time or money, the gains are very minimal. Best bet would be to use a shield between the pod and engine/above the pod, but even then, not really worth it.

To be honest it won't be worth your time or money, the gains are very minimal. Best bet would be to use a shield between the pod and engine/above the pod, but even then, not really worth it.

I would imagine you're right, I might have a go at it purely because I'm time rich at the moment though, despite that I was thinking I might run a pipe to the front end from the hole where the resonator attached and put that towards the front, mainly because I'm sure some leakage will be occurring with the current intake now that it's removed, the easiest point of flow for air would likely be towards the wheel alcove now.

My aim isn't really a performance increase of any substance, I just enjoy the air intake noise to be honest.

In regards to the heat shield itself, probably a pipe dream, especially when I have next to zero experience with metalwork, but I may give it a go.

Edited by synchronicity

I would imagine your probably right, I might have a go at it purely because I'm time rich at the moment though, despite that I was thinking I might run a pipe to the front end from the hole where the resonator attached and put that towards the front, mainly because I'm sure some leakage will be occurring with the current intake now that it's removed, the easiest point of flow for air would likely be towards the wheel alcove now.

In regards to the heat shield itself, probably a pipe dream, especially when I have next to zero experience with metalwork, but I may give it a go.

You could go to Bunnings and get a bunch of PVC and bends, then do a mock up of the CAI.