Knocking in steering - not intermediate shaft

knasty

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice. Have an '08 Aurion SX was was an ex cop car. Had the 2 frequent issues with steering - knocking and pulling to the left. After 18 months of back-and-forth to the dealer the pulling to the left is fixed but there is still a knocking coming from the front right suspension. The knocking is not as bad as originally - I think there as a problem with the shaft as previously i could feel the knocking on to and from a stop. But now when I turn the wheel to the right, I can feel a knock (but not to the left). They've replaced the shaft (twice), the rack, the front struts, and the camber bolts. Going over potholes, kerbs etc, I can hear and feel a knock from the front right. Recently I've had the head mechanic do the test drives and he recognises the sound and the knock, but having referred the issue to Toyota the dealer says after replacing the shaft and rack any other knocking is 'normal' per their conversation with Toyota.

I don't for a second believe it's normal, but I don't know what else it could be? They assure me that the rest of the suspension setup is fine. Any idea of what a likely culprit could be? Thanks.

Hi knasty,mate if you scroll through the topics in the Forum there is a post which goes into detail re; the knocking noise you are experiencing.We have a MY10 ZR6 and it has had two racks replaced due to the knocking noise and on both occasions its due to the (INNER TIE RODS ) inside the rack housing itself.On both occassions they installed a completely new rack,why they dont remove whats there and tighten the inner rack ends beats the sh*t out of me.Maybe someone like ADAMSY can answer that.On the last occasion we arranged it so the REP from where the steering racks actually come from can drive it and see first hand what all the fuss was about,that way Toyota can throw the problem back in their court to have a resolvable outcome but unfortunately at the last minute he couldnt get his ar*e to the dealership.So Toyotas answer to the problem just keep replacing the old with the new,thank god for 6 year premium warranties

Yeah I get the knocking sound too :unsure: Is it dangerous to have those inner tie rods making a noise?? :(

Also when I break going 100kmh, I get a massive vibration in the steering wheel - is that normal? :help:

Hi knasty,mate if you scroll through the topics in the Forum there is a post which goes into detail re; the knocking noise you are experiencing.We have a MY10 ZR6 and it has had two racks replaced due to the knocking noise and on both occasions its due to the (INNER TIE RODS ) inside the rack housing itself.On both occassions they installed a completely new rack,why they dont remove whats there and tighten the inner rack ends beats the sh*t out of me.Maybe someone like ADAMSY can answer that.On the last occasion we arranged it so the REP from where the steering racks actually come from can drive it and see first hand what all the fuss was about,that way Toyota can throw the problem back in their court to have a resolvable outcome but unfortunately at the last minute he couldnt get his ar*e to the dealership.So Toyotas answer to the problem just keep replacing the old with the new,thank god for 6 year premium warranties

Yeah I get the knocking sound too :unsure: Is it dangerous to have those inner tie rods making a noise?? :(

Also when I break going 100kmh, I get a massive vibration in the steering wheel - is that normal? :help:

in terms of the vibration, most likely it was caused by the front brake discs not machined when the front brake pads were changed.