18RG Conversion

Caynus

I've got a 1979 RA40 (round headlights) Celica and my 18R motor is on its last legs with compression problems. I've recently found a Recond. 18RG with a w50 gearbox. How easy would this be to drop into my RA40, and would I need the w50 gearbox, or is it just an extra. Other extras being sold with it are a toyota supercharger, intake manifolds, extractors, pulleys, and standard intake manifolds with 2 40mm Webers. How much would it cost to firstly, drop just the gearbox and engine into my celica, and secondly, how much would it cost to drop it all in? I still want my car to be a daily driver, but i want a little extra oomph too. I'm a 19 year old student so insurance costs and installation costs are a prime factor. Can anyone help me out?

Hi,

If your car is currently a manual you should have a W50 gearbox in it now. The 18RG is a pretty easy and straightforward fit into your car. You may have to change the cross member, but I'm not too sure - especially when talking about the RA40 model.

You also may need to change the throttle cable to suit the 18RG.

Not sure if you want to go with the supercharger and all that. The 18RG is about 50% more powerful than the 18RC engine (which your car would have) and being young (insurance costs) you'd be best to leave the 18RG stock for the time being. Also, if your engine gets too powerful it will make mince meat of your diff - which is an expense you probably could do without.

I've found this site rather wanting in terms of technical expertise, particularly older cars. You should join Toymds at http://www.toymods.net/ and tell them "river" sent you. Ask your questions and there are many learned people there that can provide you with the information you seek, plus a lot of smart-asses too :)

seeyuzz

river