Lost/Stolen master key

Joanndevries

Hi, I live near the border of NSW and Qld, and am in a dilemma. I have had my master key (the only one I have) lost or stolen to my 2002 Toyota Tarago. I have rung Toyota at Tweed Heads South, and they stated that I am looking at $3000 to be able to drive my car again.

I am unsure why in this day and age, I can't have a key and its chip/computer insides, or body, made to sync with the vehicles computer, for less than what they are telling me. They have advised that there is nothing I can do but have a new ESU, or something like that replace,and then also get two new keys that go with it. Can anyone help me. I have a key to get into the car, but not to start it.

HELP!!!!!!!

Welcome Joann :)

Ask your local locksmiths , They might need to come to your Tarago.

If they can't , try another locksmith until you find one that can.

I have four Toyotas and Genuine Toyota key blanks are very expensive and require a locksmith to program and machine them anyway.

Some locksmiths have aftermarket blanks that are very cheap and work just as well as the original.

You should probably buy two keys in case one is lost again.

Ok, first has the key been stolen or is it missing? if stolen what is the chance of who ever stole the key knowing the location of your car or getting a chance to steal it with the key, if you have insurance and the key was stolen you should get the car re-keyed, this would cost around $1,500. Through Toyota a complete Lock set with un-programmed keys is around $500, so the rest of the cost is labour to change the locks and reset the ECU.

If it's lost or there is no change of the car being stolen all you need is to get a mechanical key cut from the code on the door, and the Immobiliser re-set , you should expect to pay $800 - $1,000 with aftermarket keys, a little bit more for original Toyota ones, but the aftermarket ones are just as good.

These prices are for non remote keys, expect to pay around $250 extra per key for the remote, I don't know of any aftermarket remotes that work here, I'm sure there are some but I haven't really looked into it.

If you would like the details of some Lockies that cacn help you I can PM you some details.

Edited by (mr2)

• 1 year later...

Can you tell me how you went? What did you do? as I have found myself in the same situation. :(

Unfortunatly without the master Toyota are not your best option. As said an Auto Locksmith will be able to code new keys into your car and supply you with a new master key, this still isn't cheap but is a lot cheaper than going through the dealer.

• 8 years later...