Hunting down the CIR in my Vienta

Miikey87

Hi Guys,

I have been scouring this forum and others trying to track down some more information. I have a 1996 Manual Toyota Vienta which has been great to me for the past few years.

A few days ago in the morning my FOB played up and i was unable to get to work with my car. I tried using the over-ride in the glove box which did not work and have also left the key in the on position for over a hour and the security light still has not deactivated from the system. I have since cracked my remote open and although finding that the battery had been spot welded have replaced the battery (not sure if i have damaged the FOB further) but still have had no response from the unit as of yet.

My local locksmith said he was unable to help me out and has recommended me to contact Toyota Parts. After a quick chat I was informed that I may not need to have the car towed to their office to retrieve digits of the ignition barrel but if I was able to supply the VIN and a CIR number I should be able to have a replacement FOB ordered within 2-3 days.

My question is:

- Where is the CIR located, he has informed me that it is in the rear left tail light area of the boot...odd place I thought it would be closer to the front of the car. Further online research indicates that it might be located behind the glove box? Does anyone have a guide or walk through on how to get to this device?

- When I cracked the FOB open I have found a 5-digit TSS code inside, this isnt any help or the CIR number at all is it?

- Any other ideas to get me past the factory alarm system so I can go about my business?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Miikey ^_^

These are the remotes with the 2 metal contacts on them right? and the slot in the glove box that the remote fits into when coding them. The CIR number from what I understand is on the box behind the glove box, the remote that Toyota supply from that number is precoded to your car, I think that they still need to be inserted into the glove box slot to finish the programming.

I have had luck before with cleaning the damaged remote and getting a good enough read to be able to code in a new remote, but if you can wait a couple of days you may as well do that instead of playing around with the damaged remote.

Thanks for the reply MR2.

Sounds like checking in the rear of the car wasn't going to be the best place. Tomorrow ill get some tools and see if i can take the glove box out and retrieve the codes! Im away for most of next week for work so hopefully the remotes will be ready when I come back.

If anyone needs to find it. The CIR is located behind the glove box to the left.

Took about 20 minutes to get to it by Removing 2 internal Glove box screws, the panel under the leg space, the three bolts holding the glove box door in then you can gently pull it all out :)