To buy or not to buy

Bazman

Hi all,

I could really use some sensible advice.

I'm in London and I'm coming to Australia in a couple of months with my son to do the "Big Lap".

I've owned Landcruisers over here and I'm a big fan of Toyota 4x4s. But obviously I don't have any experience of owning an Aussie car.

I have my eye on a RZN174R extra cab, 2.7 petrol. It's '98 year and has 270000 km on the clock. It's coming from a dealer and has had a service, comes with 12 month warranty road-side assist.

The advice I need is an opinion on driving another 30k kms, some of it, (maybe quite a lot of it), on dirt roads, (not towing anything). Does that sound reasonable?

The other thing is fuel. In the UK there's not much difference in running costs as diesel is heavily taxed, so any savings in fuel consumption is lost on higher pump prices. I see you have the same thing going on in Australia.

So petrol or diesel?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I could really use some sensible advice.

I'm in London and I'm coming to Australia in a couple of months with my son to do the "Big Lap".

I've owned Landcruisers over here and I'm a big fan of Toyota 4x4s. But obviously I don't have any experience of owning an Aussie car.

I have my eye on a RZN174R extra cab, 2.7 petrol. It's '98 year and has 270000 km on the clock. It's coming from a dealer and has had a service, comes with 12 month warranty road-side assist.

The advice I need is an opinion on driving another 30k kms, some of it, (maybe quite a lot of it), on dirt roads, (not towing anything). Does that sound reasonable?

The other thing is fuel. In the UK there's not much difference in running costs as diesel is heavily taxed, so any savings in fuel consumption is lost on higher pump prices. I see you have the same thing going on in Australia.

So petrol or diesel?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

I would say that the kilometres should be fine a mate of mine has a 95 diesel with 400 000+ kilometres on it and it doesn't miss a beat as for diesel or petrol well that's entirely personal preference, however in saying that most of the time with a diesel you will get better fuel economy but many outback towns don't stock a lot of diesel so it all depends where you are heading.

Many thanks 91 Luxy. That's very helpful. I didn't even consider that diesel might be hard to come by in the outback. We'll be going to some of the most remote places possible, so I guess it's petrol.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Get a diesel mate, there is plenty of diesel out there and if you purchase a 4x4 most will have an extra tank taking you over the 1000km mark between drinks, most always take Jerry cans with them anyway just incase of a ruptured tank and other events.

I have never had any problems with locating fuel on my travels the biggest problem is breakdowns, you will have more chance of getting repaired owning an older pre computer electronics rig than an new model, i guess if you are going remote you will be set up with a dual battery rig always take a spare one with you as a solenoid or microprocessor can go at any time.

I have got a lot of Kms behind me and a lot to come so if you need any help i am here and i am sure that these guys in this club have a load of Kms behind them also and would only be happy to help in any way as a trip with your son is special to say the least.

Cheers

Derek

Batedbreath.

Thanks for the advice.

I have quite a few kms under my belt too. Scandinavia, Canada, The length of the Pyrenees, all over Europe, Thailand, bits of North Africa. But I consider this trip to be "The Big One". Mainly for the remoteness of some the places I plan to go.

Ideally I would ship my Unimog over, but the import cleaning is a nightmare. Get just one small thing wrong and you're in for thousand of dollars of steam cleaning at a quarantine station.

So it's fly and buy and then resell when I leave.

I had already decided on a diesel. Preferably a Hilux ute extra cab. Whether I can get hold of a pre-computer model that will last the trip is another matter. On the other hand, a chip failure in the middle of the Pilbara doesn't bear thinking about, there's only so much of my own urine I'm prepared to drink!

A dual battery system is desirable but not essential as I travel electronically light and would rather rely on block and tackle and a high lift jack if needed than a winch.

Anyway I've got a few months to research and plan yet.

Cheers.