Overly firm ride in 2012 Camry Hybrid

coolscan

Thanks for the advice about the oil David (I have some Shell Helix Ultra set aside for the wife's i30 CW - I supply the oil for that car service)

I might take that with me to the service ;-)

I know where you are coming from Steve, if I drive Wife's car i go looking for the button to turn it off...

I still look on the left of the steering column in my car sometimes as that is where the button was on my 2010 Hybrid.

• 5 months later...

This thread is prompted by an Australian owner posting on U.S. Camry Hybrid site. I don't know if he follows this forum.

My HL handles big hits very well, but at slow speeds every ripple and irregularity is transmitted. It is the only real gripe I have about it. It is just TOO FIRM !! Tuned for Australian tastes? Whose? Perhaps the motoring journalists, who praise a vehicle if they can go fast and flat through a corner, despite a ride like a go-kart. I cannot believe that the majority of Camry Hybrid owners want this sort of compromise.

It gets wearing after 23K km in 8 months. TOYOTA, are you READING THIS? And don't start me on low profile tyres on luxury models with no choice of higher profile. Do their marketing / design people ever drive outside the capital cities?

Now I have that rant out of my system, I would request my fellow hybrid owners to comment on their feeling about the ride, stating at the same time whether they drive the H (with 60 profile michelins on 16 in rims), or HL (with 55 profile Turanzas on 17 in rims). I am clinging to the idea that I may be able to improve things a bit by going to Michelin Primacy LC, perhaps even changing to 16 in rims.

Thank you in advance - coolscan

This thread is prompted by an Australian owner posting on U.S. Camry Hybrid site. I don't know if he follows this forum.

My HL handles big hits very well, but at slow speeds every ripple and irregularity is transmitted. It is the only real gripe I have about it. It is just TOO FIRM !! Tuned for Australian tastes? Whose? Perhaps the motoring journalists, who praise a vehicle if they can go fast and flat through a corner, despite a ride like a go-kart. I cannot believe that the majority of Camry Hybrid owners want this sort of compromise.

It gets wearing after 23K km in 8 months. TOYOTA, are you READING THIS? And don't start me on low profile tyres on luxury models with no choice of higher profile. Do their marketing / design people ever drive outside the capital cities?

Now I have that rant out of my system, I would request my fellow hybrid owners to comment on their feeling about the ride, stating at the same time whether they drive the H (with 60 profile michelins on 16 in rims), or HL (with 55 profile Turanzas on 17 in rims). I am clinging to the idea that I may be able to improve things a bit by going to Michelin Primacy LC, perhaps even changing to 16 in rims.

Thank you in advance - coolscan

Hi coolscan

I'm a new owner of a Camry Hybrid HL and am also feeling the bumpiness. I have read the whole thread and have reduced the pressures to 33 all round which helps slightly. However, I would like to see it improved even more.

I was wondering if you did eventually change your rims to 16" and whether there was improvement. I'm tempted to go down this path rather than tampering with the suspension, but I don't want to spend a heap then find the improvement to be insignificant.

Thanks.

Welcome MrArubaato,

No I have not changed rims, as I see Stevoh and Darryl both drive H models with 16in rims and Michelin tyres standard. I've lost faith in the idea that this will help sufficiently to justify the expense. Also bags the idea I had that a change to Michelin Primacy LC's might help. As for the suspension softening in time - I'm at about 39,000km now, and that hasn't happened. Short of importing a set of U.S. spec suspension, I see no joy in the suspension path. The standard camry has a different weight and weight distribution to the hybrid, so I'd say that is unsuitable. Warranty and insurance problems would be a snag.

I'll probably put up with it for another 18 months, and then get something else. Shame, because it does so many things so well.

Regards, Coolscan.

Welcome MrArubaato,

No I have not changed rims, as I see Stevoh and Darryl both drive H models with 16in rims and Michelin tyres standard. I've lost faith in the idea that this will help sufficiently to justify the expense. Also bags the idea I had that a change to Michelin Primacy LC's might help. As for the suspension softening in time - I'm at about 39,000km now, and that hasn't happened. Short of importing a set of U.S. spec suspension, I see no joy in the suspension path. The standard camry has a different weight and weight distribution to the hybrid, so I'd say that is unsuitable. Warranty and insurance problems would be a snag.

I'll probably put up with it for another 18 months, and then get something else. Shame, because it does so many things so well.

Regards, Coolscan.

that is a shame as my plan was the keep this car for as long as possible.

Thanks for letting me know.

As stated I have the 16 inch rims and I dont think you will notice any difference in ride quality as the feedback from both H and HL drivers are pretty similiar.

Toyota made some running changes to June 2013 onwards Camry production be interesting to see if they fiddled with the suspension, the only things I have heard is that it was minor feature changes.

As stated I have the 16 inch rims and I dont think you will notice any difference in ride quality as the feedback from both H and HL drivers are pretty similiar.

Toyota made some running changes to June 2013 onwards Camry production be interesting to see if they fiddled with the suspension, the only things I have heard is that it was minor feature changes.

This is strange. When I was test driving before I purchased, both times I just drove the H as the dealer didn't have an HL demo. Both times I deliberately ran over pot holes and speed humps to see how it would react and I was satisfied. I actually thought the car was very comfortable.

On the HL it feels like a completely different car.

My brother in law is looking to buy a hybrid camry (after my raving on about the car) so I'll go test driving with him as well.

This is strange. When I was test driving before I purchased, both times I just drove the H as the dealer didn't have an HL demo. Both times I deliberately ran over pot holes and speed humps to see how it would react and I was satisfied. I actually thought the car was very comfortable.

On the HL it feels like a completely different car.

My brother in law is looking to buy a hybrid camry (after my raving on about the car) so I'll go test driving with him as well.

Interesting to see what the difference would be driving them back to back would be like.

As I have said earlier in the thread I feel it is the rear suspension that is giving the ride quality grief, try going over a bump at speed - when it hits the front wheels its not so bad, but you feel it when it hits the back wheels.

Logic would dictate that a higher profile tyre would help, but Im not sure how much difference it would be. Some times the type or brand of tyre can make a big difference - a 17 inch tyre with a softer sidewall could be more comfortable than a 16 inch tyre with a harder structure.

I would suggest that you should call or email Toyota customer service with your feedback, im hoping the more feeback the more likely a resolution may be presented.

Hi all

I put for car in for service today and asked the technician about tyre pressures. He seems to think that 33 is too low for the camry. he suggested I put it up to at least 38 and put up with the suspension.

I'd rather wear out the tyres quicker I think.

more on the service in a new thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

really grateful that you guys have taken the time to share your experiences.

This is a deal breaker for me. I was ready to buy an HL but a review I read hinted at the unexpected firm ride. Your experiences have now confirmed this for me.

This is disappointing since all the other camry hybrid qualities are exactly what I'm looking for.

The search continues for a quiet soft riding car.

Hi all,

really grateful that you guys have taken the time to share your experiences.

This is a deal breaker for me. I was ready to buy an HL but a review I read hinted at the unexpected firm ride. Your experiences have now confirmed this for me.

This is disappointing since all the other camry hybrid qualities are exactly what I'm looking for.

The search continues for a quiet soft riding car.

Hi Tony,

They are still a lovely car. You should really test drive one as everyone's perceptions and expectations are different. Even though I find the ride a bit firmer than our previous 2010 Hybrid it is not a deal breaker for me. I have had 28 cars in around 38 years and every one of them could have been improved in some way (even my favourite ones)

Edited by Dazzling_Darryl

As Daz says, test drive one - or better still, the H and HL (different brand and profile tyres). What about the non-hybrid camry? It has a different suspension setup, and a softer ride.

Regards, Coolscan.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

G'day,

At 45K km I decided to change tyres, though could probably have got another 5K from the Bridgestone Turanza ER33's, but I have a thing about good rubber, especially with the wet season approaching (hopefully). They had worn fairly evenly but down a bit more on the shoulders than elsewhere.

Now running Yokohama advan db decibel v551 215/55/R17 94W. Significantly quieter, and a better ride. While being mindful that any new tyres will feel better than a 45K km set, I think it is improved compared with when new. It is still firm of course, but seems to have lost some of that harshness at low speed. Early indications are that there will be no fuel consumption change. Not the cheapest tyres around at $220 a corner, but I had to try something to make it easier to live with.

Have also had the 45K km service done. The car is trouble free so far.

Best wishes to you all for 2014.

Regards, Coolscan.

• Like 1

Thanks Coolscan,

$220 sounded dear until I realised you have 17" wheels.. I am up to 32.5K now, expect to get another 20 or so out of the Michelins but have made a note of that Tyre for my shortlist.

On another Forum I frequent (non Toyota) they give Continental CC5's a big rap too ...

Just had a quick look, they don't appear to make a 215/60/R16 in that Yokohama tyre. Maybe a 225/60/R16 would fit without changing the speedo too much?

• 5 weeks later...

What does a Camry Hybrid owner get excited about? A new article appearing on the net reviewing the Camry Hybrid of course!

Here's an update review from CarAdvice. I think it's the first time someone has described the HL's ride as being "harsh".

http://www.caradvice.com.au/267223/toyota-camry-hybrid-review-2014/