Buying a New Kluger , any tips , hints or trade secrets :)

DDC73

G'day all

Im in the market for a New Kluger probably around June or July.I know prices ,dealerships and salesman can vary from area to area , but i was hoping to find out some tips on what i can do to get the best deal.

As much as i would love a Grande model , its well out of my budget and its something i know not to push for....lol.

My wish list is for a KXS in a FWD model in either white or blue , but if need be with costing ,i would be happy with a KWX in FWD .

Are there any tips other owners on here are willing to share ?

*Is there a better time of the month to actually haggle a price a bit?

*Is there a better part of the year?

*What items are more likely to be added in for free/bonus?

*Can bluffing to say your off to check other makes down the road help?

*Best way to get the highest trade in ? (I have a 2000 Avalon with 165,000)

Thanks for any help or ideas ...

Daniel

South Coast NSW

Today I had a quiet Saturday afternoon , so decided to pop down to my local dealer and check out one in person.Up to this stage ive seen them on the road and in car parks so it was great to finally sit in one and check out the features and overall size.

I surprised to find the bonnet wasnt as large as i had thought , and to work on the engine everything looked in easy reach.The drivers seat felt good and firm while the dash has a nice layout with easy to read and reach.The 2nd row seats had good space , and great legroom , but the 3rd row was limited space and i couldnt see adults using them very much . I guess the best part of todays look was , it was a brand new model and no one came by to hassle me , all the sales man were busy with other people so i had the car to myself and could look over with no pressure.

Dan :)

G'day all

Im in the market for a New Kluger probably around June or July.I know prices ,dealerships and salesman can vary from area to area , but i was hoping to find out some tips on what i can do to get the best deal.

As much as i would love a Grande model , its well out of my budget and its something i know not to push for....lol.

My wish list is for a KXS in a FWD model in either white or blue , but if need be with costing ,i would be happy with a KWX in FWD .

Are there any tips other owners on here are willing to share ?

*Is there a better time of the month to actually haggle a price a bit?

*Is there a better part of the year?

*What items are more likely to be added in for free/bonus?

*Can bluffing to say your off to check other makes down the road help?

*Best way to get the highest trade in ? (I have a 2000 Avalon with 165,000)

Thanks for any help or ideas ...

Daniel

South Coast NSW

Hi dan, the best time to buy a kluger would be the end of the finacial year or at the end of the year or at the begining the year ,when they would be trying to get rid of last years models.

Things the dealers might throw in if you haggle would be headlight and bonnet protector ,floor mats and even maybe a free tank of fuel.

I reckon bluffing doesnt hurt, have a look at other makes and other toyota dealers and compair prices and even get somthing in writing, then you got some bargaining power for a good price, knowledge is power, as for getting the best price for your avalon, you best bet would be sell it privatly, I would doudt a dealer would give any more than a couple of grand for it, the avalon are a nice car, my auntys got one, drives beautifully.

Hi Croco ,

Thanks for your feedback , and yes i will be now doing it at the end of financial year.As you mentioned with your advice , i will do my homework and take paperwork along showing other prices and current specials about.Once ive made a purchase i will report back here at this thread and let you guys know how i did.

Dan

That is an interesting thing to point out , i did hear of a newer model coming though.Does anyone have a link or pics showing how it should look?.Im happy to wait around 6 months if it looks tempting , but not 12 months , the current style and shape looks just great in my books :)

Hi dan, there is a few spy shots of the new model kluger on the 2014 kluger reveal thread,I think its on page 3.

Thanks for that mate , it does look very interesting.I like the large grill it seems to be getting too.I wonder how long before any further pics get done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re price... do your research and find your "happy" price or in your case with a trade in "happy changeover" price.

Know what spec, colour & accessories you want in your deal.

Shopping for a deal is best done at anytime and MOST importantly, only when you are ready to buy right now.
Dont take in printouts of other deals or try to force them by saying I can get it cheaper down the road.. i'm going, etc, etc.. :-( That is what a kid would do ... sorry.

Dealers get dozens of people in their showroom every day and every one is in a different state of decisiveness or preparedness. Most don't even have a clue what they really want and no idea of the real price of the vehicle they will have forced onto them. Sometimes they pay $10,000 more than they have to but are so oblivious they have no idea they have been ripped off to the hilt.

I knew my "happy changeover price" before I went to strike a deal. They knew I was not a tyre kicker or a time waster and hit me with their best deal straight off which was much better than my happy changeover. Being the hard nose dealer I am I added a towbar, nudge bar, l&r weathershields, full tank and mats to their offer. I expected it to be laughed at but after a short while they returned and we shook on the deal.

You cannot go in and say my friend got one at this price so i want one with the same deal. They do not have to honor anyones previous deal, at all, ever. There is no law for car dealers to have to do that. They only have to see what they can do to meet your offer when you disclose it to them when you are ready to buy. Probing for deals and tyre kicking only wastes their time and yours.

As for the best time... it is any day of the year. You can get a special deal for many different reasons.

Do your homework and good luck.

BTW... don't get talked into a deal or car you don't want. They may try.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

• 2 weeks later...

1st of all thankyou to those have have replied so far.........

At this stage with my budget , i will probably just get the KXR model new in mid june.I was wondering with it not having the front lower bumper driving lights , has anyone managed to get these included as a bonus when buying a brand new one?.The main reason i ask is , the driving lights are not listed as add on accessoires in there sales book(the only place ive seen them been sold is on Ebay).

My wish list at this stage for a new KXR is:

*FWD

*7 seater

*Driving lights

*Sat Nav

*Front mud flaps (rear seem to be already attached)

*Side steps.

If i could get these bundled into a great drive away price i will be happy.

Dan

Hi dan, I think the front bumber lights are a factory fitment, rather than a factory acesoriery, so you mighten get them put on in your deal,on a KXR ,you should be able to buy them as spares, because there standard on the KXS and GRANDE,they should be able to get them,but I could only imagine how dear they are, I remember talking to someone oneday about there brocken foglamp,similar size to the klugers and he said a replacment fog lamp was $500,this was on nissan,so I dont think toyota will be much cheaper.

Your best bet would be Ebay or even the wreckers, another place would be some of the 4wd accesories places, they sell a range of small lights that fit the bumpers of bullbars, I one brand is Ipf,they should beable to shoot you straight.

I think I remember you saying originally you wanted a KXS, but after I looked at the KXR and test drove one, if I had my time over again I would probadly only get the KXR aswell, dont get me wrong I would love another KXS or a GRANDE, but looking at some of the deals there got going on the Kxr, I reckon the KXR is a bargain, for such a large powerfull comfortable car, you couldnt beat them for value for money.

The KXR got all the features you probadly ever need.

You should be able to haggle with them on most of the things on your wish list, only one maybe is they probadly wont throw in is the sat nav, there pretty exspensive, I think the geniune toyota sat nav for the kluger is around $3000, I think ,so its highly likely they wont chuck it in, but you can get it fitted as a geniune assesorie, like I have in my kluger, but personally I would rather just buy a portable hand held one, because the factory sat nav needs a disc every couple of years, to upgrade the maps,which cost between $300 and$400, which isnt cheap, but if your willing to spend the extra money on a disc every couple of years,they are a good unit, they have a big clear screen which is easy to read and the voice navigation is clear and easy to understand and look great.

I hope this help mate, and good luck with getting a good deal.

I was wondering with it not having the front lower bumper driving lights , has anyone managed to get these included as a bonus when buying a brand new one?.The main reason i ask is , the driving lights are not listed as add on accessoires in there sales book(the only place ive seen them been sold is on Ebay).

Also look for them on the internet under the Highlander name as that is what it is known as in the us and elsewhere. There are many after market accessories sold out of china and most refer to the model as the Highlander. AliExpress can be a good source if you find a supplier with a good rep.

I assume you are only wanting the lights for aestetic reasons? The standard headlights are far more than you would ever need in any situation... burn your eyeballs out at 10km!!

*Front mud flaps (rear seem to be already attached)

I didn't have these fitted to mine... might be already on there??... anyway, there is no noticeable flick up of anything that I have noticed in the last 11 months.

For a pricing source of what may be possible go to any or all of the web sites like carsales.com.au and others. They will show special offers from many dealers.

If you are serious about saving a few thousand with your deal then do your research, it will pay off. I have seen many that have been so happy with their deal but little did they know they paid $5000 + more than they should have. LOL Ingorance can be bliss sometimes? Make the effort and reap the reward.

I have seen some dealers selling the KXR in the $35,000 range ... drive away! That is amazing value for what you get in this motor vehicle. I am sure you will love it, the power and the fuel economy is exceptional as is the ride and the quietness. BTW... set your tyre pressure to 40psi if not already set there by the dealer.

I agree with what Croco says re the sat nav... mostly useless but they look good.
Smart phones are replacing dedicated satnavs now. The benefit being that no matter where you are and what car you are driving you have a satnav in your pocket. I have a 3.5" phone with Sygic (for android) installed and it is brilliant. I turn the satnav on and the phone fits neatly in the cowling where the tacho/fuel gauge is. Does everything a decicated sat nave does...

There is a Toyota Highlander forum in the us that is a great source for more research.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R