DISAPPOINTING...your comments please

S1LV3R

hi everyone

i thought i should make some comments on the build quality of my 05 camry sportivo 4 cyl.

i bought it brand new, so everything should be perfect, right? WRONG!

it drove fine for about 500km and then things listed below started happening.

1. squeaking noises coming from the front right side of the car (driver's side)

2. thumping noises coming from the left rear side of the car

3. moisture inside the right headlight

4. rattles coming from the front left door

5. squeaking noises from the steering wheel (turning)

6. fuel tank door misalignment

the squeaking noises were annoying not to mention embarassing (imagine this happening to you with 4 people inside the car).

the problem was fixed by replacing the front right suspension.

the thumping noises were quite serious and embarassing too. it was as if the rear left suspension was not working at all.

the problem was fixed by replacing the rear left suspension.

it was the first time i'd seen moisture inside any headlight.

the problem was fixed by replacing the right headlight.

even now the rattles still exist. any road irregularities would create these rattles that come from the left front door.

whenever i turned the steering wheel, it would go squeaky.

the problem was fixed by replacing the steering rack.

the 2nd time i filled up the fuel tank i noticed that the fuel tank door didn't really shut. it's still like this.

so in about 3 weeks after i drove it out of the dealership i've had the following replaced:

1. front right suspension

2. rear left suspension

3. right headlight

4. steering rack

my fuel economy is also off by 3.7 liters per 100km (specs says 9.8 liters per 100km but i'm getting 13.5 liters per 100km). i don't even drive aggresively.

in summary: DISAPPOINTING build quality

any comments you might have would be appreciated. now all i want is for my NEW car to run with no rattles and with better fuel economy (even 11 liters per 100km would be heaven!)

well i cant say ive had that many problems when i got my car new....

but nevertheless, i did have some minor problems :rolleyes:

scratched Climate Control panel, replaced.

missing A/C Vent labels, replaced.

rattling noise from drivers door, fixed.

also at the moment, there are some slight rattles around the radio panel, but i used my ingeniousity and blutak to fix it, or at least soften it :lol:

as for fuel consumption, all car companies say their cars will use so much petrol, and in reality they always use more...

its a marketing ploy if you ask me :blink:

and 'Silver', the rattling noise your talking about from the door, is it almost like a jingling noise when you go over bumps?

if it is, then it is a door clip loose, same problem i had, Toyota fixed that up.

well i cant say ive had that many problems when i got my car new....

but nevertheless, i did have some minor problems :rolleyes:

scratched Climate Control panel, replaced.

missing A/C Vent labels, replaced.

rattling noise from drivers door, fixed.

also at the moment, there are some slight rattles around the radio panel, but i used my ingeniousity and blutak to fix it, or at least soften it :lol:

as for fuel consumption, all car companies say their cars will use so much petrol, and in reality they always use more...

its a marketing ploy if you ask me :blink:

and 'Silver', the rattling noise your talking about from the door, is it almost like a jingling noise when you go over bumps?

if it is, then it is a door clip loose, same problem i had, Toyota fixed that up.

so it's a door clip loose.........thanks for the info

i might ask you about tyre pressure as well, should it be the same for all 4 wheels cause the label suggests different tyre pressures for front and rear tyres.

what's your tyre pressure? mine is 36psi front and 32psi rear.

^

well its probably a door clip if it is a jingling noise :lol:

if not, then it might be something else, i dont know....

with tyre pressure, yes, Toyota recommend 36 front and 32 rear.

but personally i dont like that :P

i run 38 front and 34 rear, 2psi more than recommended.

personally it feels better in the way of steering/handling at that pressure, and probably a tiny tiny little bit more bumpy, but i get used to it :lol:

Hi I had some problems with my car when new.

A clunk in the front suspension which needed a tyre rod replacing or something like that, Handbrake was stuck on one wheel and the bushes were twisted on the rear suspension (this was picked up over the pits in WA when I changed plates in the state) :rolleyes:

I think all new cars have a few niggles but as long as they fix them up that’s the main thing. The frustrating thing is that you pay for a dealer to go over the car when you buy it and don’t expect too much wrong after that.

My VW had similar problems and that was built in Germany so its not inherently a Toyota issue. :P

As for your fuel consumption…..

If its new it might not be warn in yet, try some injection cleaner, mention it to Toyota at a service.

As for the tyres I have not looked at the manual or tyre placard. But the only car I know of with different tyre pressures front and rear was some 1960’s Renault, they did that so it had some form of handling. ;)

Most motoring people, car clubs and all that recommend going a little higher than stated. So maybe 2-3 PSI higher. Better cornering, safer and better fuel economy is the outcome. Slightly increased tyre wear is the downside. I would be surprised if there were different inflation recommendations front and rear.

I am very surprised they have 2 different recommended pressures. I wonder why. Is that the same on the non sportive models. Maybe my car will handle better after I change them a bit. :D

I run at 40 all around ………… too much hangning around WRX club people :rolleyes:

hi everyone

i thought i should make some comments on the build quality of my 05 camry sportivo 4 cyl.

i bought it brand new, so everything should be perfect, right? WRONG!

it drove fine for about 500km and then things listed below started happening.

1. squeaking noises coming from the front right side of the car (driver's side)

2. thumping noises coming from the left rear side of the car

3. moisture inside the right headlight

4. rattles coming from the front left door

5. squeaking noises from the steering wheel (turning)

6. fuel tank door misalignment

the squeaking noises were annoying not to mention embarassing (imagine this happening to you with 4 people inside the car).

the problem was fixed by replacing the front right suspension.

the thumping noises were quite serious and embarassing too. it was as if the rear left suspension was not working at all.

the problem was fixed by replacing the rear left suspension.

it was the first time i'd seen moisture inside any headlight.

the problem was fixed by replacing the right headlight.

even now the rattles still exist. any road irregularities would create these rattles that come from the left front door.

whenever i turned the steering wheel, it would go squeaky.

the problem was fixed by replacing the steering rack.

the 2nd time i filled up the fuel tank i noticed that the fuel tank door didn't really shut. it's still like this.

so in about 3 weeks after i drove it out of the dealership i've had the following replaced:

1. front right suspension

2. rear left suspension

3. right headlight

4. steering rack

my fuel economy is also off by 3.7 liters per 100km (specs says 9.8 liters per 100km but i'm getting 13.5 liters per 100km). i don't even drive aggresively.

in summary: DISAPPOINTING build quality

any comments you might have would be appreciated. now all i want is for my NEW car to run with no rattles and with better fuel economy (even 11 liters per 100km would be heaven!)

i feel disappointed of my 05 camry sportivo 4 cyl as well.

1. Just after getting fixed the roof, the noise come up again now.

2. I get the squeaking noises from the brake, but toyota can't find any problem.

3. I also get noise from the front left door when the music has a little bass!!

Who know how to take off the door trim? I want to know what's noise inside.

4. My driver door misalignment as well, always look like not yet close.

In all, the quality of my 04 Echo is better than my camry.

I am very surprised they have 2 different recommended pressures.  I wonder why. Is that the same on the non sportive models. Maybe my car will handle better after I change them a bit. :D

I run at 40 all around ………… too much hangning around WRX club people  :rolleyes:

i dont know why they are different :huh:

i have a theory, that since the engine is at the front there is more weight there....

and they have a higher pressure at the front to help with that, and improve the handling or something like that :unsure:

well i dont know, just my guess :lol:

this is what my manual says the Tyre Pressures should be:

Altise & Ateva (15" rims): 30psi All Round

Sportivo (16" rims): 36psi Front, 32psi Rear

Grande (16" rims): 32psi Front, 30psi Rear

Hi everyone :P

New to this forum

I own a 05 Camry 4cyl Sportivo as well

About 6 month

Fuel comsumption is about 12-13L/100km...... :angry:

And also fix the car about 4times as well

1st time: fix the paint quality of the body kit..... :angry:

2nd time: fix the head unit as it will goes security by itself :angry:

3rd time: fix the noise from the front :angry:

4th : fix the noise again.... :angry::angry:

and.....

5th: fix the body kit again as it bend out (waiting for parts now):angry:

and probably 6th: found water in the boot :o

And this might help: If the squeaking noice you guys having is happen when u turning (especially audible when turning and slight braking at the same time), it might be a dust ring at the crank shaft is losen and contact with the brake, I fix this noice twice :( hope this can help u guys solve this problem B) )

I must say, I was very disappointed with my Camry for a while. I've now gotten used to it, but still, that's no excuse for very poor build quality. Anyway here's what I've got.

1) Rattling from sunroof

2) Sponge leaking from the rear of the front seats

3) Rattling from under the cupholder

4) Squeaking from the seats

5) Some panel gaps aren't even at ALL, infact on of them is bent

6) Body kit was coming off (have this fixed though)

What made me MOST angry is that they gave me the Camry that was inside the showroom, and the didn't even bother to CLEAN It up before I picked it up. Very disappointed...

Mine has been fairly good apart from the niggles I mentioned earlier.

mine was 29K on the road 1 year ago. Brand new and clean. :)

I bought in Brisbane. But once again there are good dealers and bad ones. Just ask how much your next service costs at 3 different dealers , you will get 3 different prices!

Avoid the bad ones. ;)

A long as they fix the things under warrenty and get them right. I have heard horror stories from other types of cars. :ph34r:

Hi guys,

I have a 03 V6 Sportivo and i have also had a few problems:

1) Squeaky noises when turning from sterring - Was fixed when i replaced the springs and the car was lowered

2) Front driver window sealer is deformed which is goin to be fixed in near future

3) Hand brake at one stage wouldnt work, the car just kept rolling :angry:

I also have an issue with filling my car with fuel - Every time I fill up the fuel keeps clickin as if the tank is full when its not therefore i have to hold the trigger half way which takes ages to fill up!! :angry: Can anyone shed some light on this for us please?

Apart from that everything else is fine and my fuel economy im getting 8.5L/100km :D

Thanks

I also have an issue with filling my car with fuel - Every time I fill up the fuel keeps clickin as if the tank is full when its not therefore i have to hold the trigger half way which takes ages to fill up!!  :angry:  Can anyone shed some light on this for us please?

ah yes, i have that problem sometimes too...

it has nothing to do with the car, it is the petrol station pumps.

at the end of the pump nozzles they have a sensor system which sees if the tank is full, so it is probably stuffed...just complain to the service station guy, and they usually get it fixed eventually :lol:

I also have an issue with filling my car with fuel - Every time I fill up the fuel keeps clickin as if the tank is full when its not therefore i have to hold the trigger half way which takes ages to fill up!!  :angry:  Can anyone shed some light on this for us please?

ah yes, i have that problem sometimes too...

it has nothing to do with the car, it is the petrol station pumps.

at the end of the pump nozzles they have a sensor system which sees if the tank is full, so it is probably stuffed...just complain to the service station guy, and they usually get it fixed eventually :lol:

Thanks Terry, this is happening at every servo i fill up at, i took it back to toyota and they said there was nothing wrong with the fuel system, but when i got the car i didnt have this problem :unsure:

Hey Spordino

how are the springs?

Maybe the west has better air for better economy.

WOw major difference in cars consumption. Are the engines that different

G'day Perthcamry,

Springs are awesome for the money i paid went with Eibach pro kit! Money well spent.

Yeah i was very surprised as well, but because i use the cruise control 24/7 this i think helps alot and also because i only hav one pt left on my licence and therefore dont want to be flashed :P

G'day Perthcamry,

Springs are awesome for the money i paid went with Eibach pro kit! Money well spent.

Yeah i was very surprised as well, but because i use the cruise control 24/7 this i think helps alot and also because i only hav one pt left on my licence and therefore dont want to be flashed :P

Yeah I think WA makes you watch out for them. Where in Perth are you. I am North beach way. have to organise a cruise. There was a nice black Sportivo I saw around town with 18" :P

G'day Perthcamry,

Yeah I think WA makes you watch out for them. Where in Perth are you. I am North beach way. have to organise a cruise. There was a nice black Sportivo I saw around town with 18" :P

Excellent im north of river too out Hamersley way, cruise sounds good and yeah iv seen that camry round as well

Thanks Terry, this is happening at every servo i fill up at, i took it back to toyota and they said there was nothing wrong with the fuel system, but when i got the car i didnt have this problem  :unsure:

ah i think i know what might be the problem...

when you put the nozzle into the fuel hole, you shove it right into the hole dont you? :P

try moving the nozzle back out about half way, and it should fix the problem...

it works for me ;)

well this is how the pump works, interesting to know i guess :lol:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question25.htm

Thanks Terry, this is happening at every servo i fill up at, i took it back to toyota and they said there was nothing wrong with the fuel system, but when i got the car i didnt have this problem  :unsure:

ah i think i know what might be the problem...

when you put the nozzle into the fuel hole, you shove it right into the hole dont you? :P

try moving the nozzle back out about half way, and it should fix the problem...

it works for me ;)

well this is how the pump works, interesting to know i guess :lol:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question25.htm

Cheers,

I shall give that a try next time thanks for the help :lol:

There was definitely a difference in fit-and-finish when I compared my 03 Camry to a Japan-built 05 Corolla. I can only guess that QC in Australia is lower than in Japan!

As for tyre pressures on my 4-Cyl Camry:

Front: 40 PSI

Rear: 35 PSI

I also notice that the window sealers on the outside are misaligned and it is common to all Gen 5/5.5 Camrys even if they are brand new at the dealerships - difficult to describe this one... where the door panel means the window frame, there is a rubber strip that 'scrapes' against the window. One end is always wedged opened by the external window frame. One can only hope it does not corrode anything on the inside!

I too am getting rattles somewhere - seems to be coming from somewhere forward of the dashboard...

I also notice that the window sealers on the outside are misaligned and it is common to all Gen 5/5.5 Camrys even if they are brand new at the dealerships - difficult to describe this one... where the door panel means the window frame, there is a rubber strip that 'scrapes' against the window. One end is always wedged opened by the external window frame. One can only hope it does not corrode anything on the inside!

I know what are you talking about. I have the same problem as well. My friend's 04 Sportivo gets this problem too!! :angry:

QC in Japan is definintely better. So if you're going to buy a kluger, buy one now before they start making them at Altona!

ah thats interesting, havent heard about them going to make the Klugers in Australia...

oh well, doesnt really matter, we bought one already last year B)