TRANSMISSION WHINE IN NEW LANDCRUISER

GADFLY

Hi all. New Member so hello to all out there!

Just purchased a 2012 GXL VDJ200R Landcruiser and took it for its first towing holiday to Tasmania. After around 3 - 4000 kms on the odometer we noted that there was an audible whining in the transmission at around 78kph. This was a fairly high frequency whine (around 2000 hertz) like when rubbing the top of a wine glass. Later we noted that there was also a much louder whine of lower frequency (say 200 hertz) at a speed of 98 kph. Both of these noises were when the vehicle was under load (towing and up a rise with slight accelleration). The noise diminished when the vehicle was on flat ground at these speeds and not apparent at all during cruise without a load behind.

Took it to the dealer this week and showed the head mechanic the noise under tow conditions. He kept the vehicle for several days (in fact he still has it as I write this) and he called me yesterday and said that he had checked a new landcruiser and it made the same noise. He says that this is normal for a new landcruiser under towing conditions and is caused by a chain in the transfer case.

I am wondering if others who have this model have had the same experience or is this mechanic giving me a line of BS. Would appreciate all comments.

• 9 months later...

I still have my 1997 Prado GXL (bought new) and it too has a chain transfer case; when in the late '80s Toyota replaced gears with chain, most commented that Toyota did so for smoothness and quietness reasons. Chain transfer cases have been in Toyota Prado V6s forever.

So, they should be quieter, not noisier than a gear driven system. Hence I question your dealer mechanic.

They have accepted that there is noise though ... so I would contact Toyota themselves now.

I bought for my wife last year a second hand Lexus 2009 - the superceded series - RX350 SUV, and I noted that I could hear a "power-on" noise. I had not heard it when test driving the vehicle, but when I became used to the vehicle, I could hear it, power on at 50-80KMH.

Lexus were interested and in a 5 minute drive, the Lexus mechanic diagnosed a crown wheel and pinion noise. Lexus said it was very rare in my year although some had happened before in previous years. They replaced the crown wheel and pinion, all for free, and supplied a no charge car (an IS 350) (although I paid a voluntary something for a no payment if I crashed the vehicle) - also they left half a tank of fuel and said there was no charge for the fuel.

So ... tell them its too noisy and that something is wrong.