New owner here..........Things to learn about

DDC73

G'day all

I picked up my new 2013 KXR 2WD 7 seater a few weeks ago and really love it.A few newbie questions i would like to ask if i may:

*When i filling the wiper washer in the engine bay , does the one tank supply the rear washer as well , or is there another tank to fill in the rear?

*When i collected the car , Toyota told me the 1st service is due in November , which is 6 months after collection.This seems a long period to me for a brand new car? .I will double check all my fluid levels of course , is there anything else i should watch out for?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Daniel................

• Like 1

yes, one tank does both front and rear. Also, do you not have a 1000km checking still? we did with out 2008 model. if not I would highly recommend it as the bedding in process, the oil will end up with tiny metal pieces in it which could cause issues.

Hi dan congratulations mate on your new kluger,dan the kluger only has the one washer tank,the one tank does the front and back washers.

I always thought the first service was at 1000kms,but it probadly changed now,have a look in the service book it should show you when the first service is due.

Thanks guys for the feedback........

Yes the service manual here does state that 1st service is due either 6 months -or- 10,000km what ever comes 1st.They do however have one free complimentary service to check things out and this has to be done within 1 month of pickup.I have booked to get this done (just for peace of mind).

Thanks Dan :)

• Like 1

Congrats on your choice of a very fine vehicle Dan! I've had mine a year now and love it.

Mine had the 1000k check up.

Your dealer will check and fill your washer bottle & similar items every time you take it for a service.

Just a tip... best tyre pressure is 40psi.

another tip, don't let them wash your car!! do it yourself properly to minimise swirl marks!

Yes!! They washed mine last service and did half a job. I didn't know they were going to do it.

They also put 60psi in all my tyres. :-(

Thanks guys i will keep an eye on those things for sure.......

My newbie question for today is : With the puddle lights on the mirrors (just love that idea and very handy!) , is it possible to adjust the timer so they stay on just a bit longer?.I think at present it is 5 secs , but if i could get around 15 secs that would be even better.

Ask the dealer. A lot of those type of settings are adjustable via digital interface with special equipment they have.

I would like to have the window buttons work when the car is unlocked, not only when the key is in the ignition. A bit of a pain.

Thanks guys , i really appreciate the help i get on this forum.

Today i had the car booked in for its (not compulsory) 1st month check and service .While there i had the dealership install my fog/driving lights combo i had brought off ebay a few weeks back.I have to say i really like the finished touch it adds to the front of my KXR .I also had the on/off switch installed in the blank spare slot next to my snow button.The button is a perfect fit and looks like it was always there.

I also have some side steps ordered (not though Toyota) and hope to have them installed within the next 2 weeks or so.

Dan :)

Yes i brought them off Ebay , and to get originals from Toyota ive seen them for around the $800 mark (not including fitment).The ones i got off Ebay were just under half that amount , and will try to fit them myself.

Dan :)

• 4 weeks later...

Today i finished installing my after market side steps , in conjunction with the driving/ fog lights .The KXR looks great now and im pleased with the outcome.

I was going to attach a picture here , but not sure how its done?

Today i finished installing my after market side steps , in conjunction with the driving/ fog lights .The KXR looks great now and im pleased with the outcome.

I was going to attach a picture here , but not sure how its done?

Try Reply to this topic and attach file from stored location.

Cheers

Hi Dan,

Your KXR is looking nice. We have just ordered a 2WD Altitude model and are now anxiously waiting for a delivery date :D

Can you tell me, were the side steps easy to install?

We want a set, but couldn't come at the price for originals, so looking at getting after market off ebay (at about $300 a set). Just worried they will require some form of drilling or modification to fit (not keen to do this to a brand new vehicle).

Also, have you looked at buying and fitting a nudge bar? Again they wanted $850 for an original, but I can get them for less than $300.

Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete , congratulations on your new purchase , your gonna love it!

When i brought my KXR 6 weeks ago , i looked at getting the originals fitted as well and like yourself was quoted the mid $800 range.I decided just to shop around and see what Ebay had to offer , and finished up getting my set from a firm in QLD called Everest .For the kluger they have 3 different styles you can get , the set i got (including postage by courier) set me back $315.

I was also worried about doing modifications to a brand new car and was please to say that non was required.If you look under your car you will see rows of black plugs , these just pop out and the brackets fit into these holes.Im not a skilled person and have very limited collection of tools and stuff , but all i needed was 2 wrenches a pair of pliers and a flat head screw driver.

When the time comes if you get yours , let me know and im happy to explain in better detail how its done.Just briefly i can say the 1st side took the longest , about 1/30 hours , while the 2nd side just took 30mins.The kit comes fully supplied with every thing you need of course , but i actually had to buy an extra 12 washers to help adjust a bracket that would'nt quite sit flush.

I do like the nudge bars , and rear bars as well and may look at getting them too at a latter date.

Cheers Dan :)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Good to know it is not going to be anything difficult to get a set fitted.

I didn't even think of looking around for accessories when we were going through everything at the dealership - could of saved myself a small fortune...lol. Although the accessories (tow bar, roof racks, weather shields, mats, bonnet protector) I have ordered with the car were negotiated in with the price (so they tell me!).

I had a look at the steps from Everest, they look good. A few more questions for you, if you don't mind...What is the finish on them like? Are they stainless or polished steel, or more of a dull aluminium/satin look? How far out do they protrude? Are they usable or more for show? Can you stand on them if putting stuff on roof racks, or making it easier for kids to get in and out of the vehicle?

I found a set on ebay in Sydney for a similar price to yours, so that might be the way to go. At least this way I can go and look at them first, and pick them up so I'm not paying for freight. They also have the nudge bars - concerned that these may require a bit of modification to fit.

Hoping to get an answer tomorrow regarding a delivery date for the vehicle, so then I can start ordering other bits for it.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete , congratulations on your new purchase , your gonna love it!

When i brought my KXR 6 weeks ago , i looked at getting the originals fitted as well and like yourself was quoted the mid $800 range.I decided just to shop around and see what Ebay had to offer , and finished up getting my set from a firm in QLD called Everest .For the kluger they have 3 different styles you can get , the set i got (including postage by courier) set me back $315.

I was also worried about doing modifications to a brand new car and was please to say that non was required.If you look under your car you will see rows of black plugs , these just pop out and the brackets fit into these holes.Im not a skilled person and have very limited collection of tools and stuff , but all i needed was 2 wrenches a pair of pliers and a flat head screw driver.

When the time comes if you get yours , let me know and im happy to explain in better detail how its done.Just briefly i can say the 1st side took the longest , about 1/30 hours , while the 2nd side just took 30mins.The kit comes fully supplied with every thing you need of course , but i actually had to buy an extra 12 washers to help adjust a bracket that would'nt quite sit flush.

I do like the nudge bars , and rear bars as well and may look at getting them too at a latter date.

Cheers Dan :)

Hi Dan,

I checked Everest website and i could n't find a side step(similar to the one toyota offers) that suitable to current model on their website.One of them which is similar shape to the toyota model says suitable for 2007-2011 model and price is $320.Could you please send me a link of the same side steps which you purchased from Everest which i could use to place an order.

Your advise would be appreciated,

Kind Regards

Edited by Ratheesh Kumar

Hi Guys

*What is the finish on them like?..................They feel study and solid , with a rubber non slip top.

*Are they stainless or polished steel, or more of a dull aluminium/satin look?..............More of the dull aluminium/satin finish.

*How far out do they protrude?...........With the door closed 8cm , with the door open 14cm.But you can adjust in/out to suit your needs.

*Are they usable or more for show?...........Mine are completely usable , since having them i have washed my roof for the 1st time.There are 3 brackets , and the one in the middle stops any bending.

*Can you stand on them if putting stuff on roof racks, or making it easier for kids to get in and out of the vehicle?..........Yes with the door open , i could place things onto roof racks if need be , and its a great help for kids to get into the car.But in saying this , there ment for just "general use and to assist" eg: Like i wouldnt expect them to stand up to constant jumping up and down on or have them been used other then the purpose of "stepping on" to help get in and out of the car.If they were to be abused or used with excessive amount of weight , well then yes the brackets could break off underneath the car.

**Ratheesh..........I have sent you a PM :)

Cheers Dan

Thanks Dan for the detailed info. Sounds like they will be more than suitable. I have no intention of jumping up and down on them...lol. Apart from loading onto roof racks, or like you, washing the roof of the vehicle, I don't expect to use them at all. But they do finish off the look of the Kluger (in my opinion).

I have found a set that are similar to the Toyota originals, which look like they might suit my needs. Will arrange to go and check them out in the next week or two.

Ratheesh, I have sent you a PM with a link to these steps. At $248 per set, plus postage, seems a good deal better than the branded ones :)

Thanks again Dan for your first hand info.

Cheers, Pete

Dan... Just a couple more things I have found that may be helpful...

Tow bar (if fitted?) The lock pin for the draw bar is easily removed ... I fitted a small padlock through where the locking pin fits.

Change holder door located just above right knee has a sharp top edge. If left open will give a nasty cut to the knee when entering the car. :-(

Tyre pressure... I have changed my opinion on the 40psi originally recommended by the dealer... was a bit harsh so tried 37 and find it to be much better ride, handling and steering. (KXR with std 17" rims)

It likes the best of the premium fuels. Tried some BP premium in it for the first time recently and was noticeably better than the Shell and Caltex premiums.

Cheers all..