Keyless entry on ZZE122

Hi all

Just purchased a ZZE122 Corolla Ascent Sport 2006. Doesnt have keyless entry installed so Im looking at getting this done to make life easier :)

Do Toyota sell a plug in kit for the Corolla? I'd like it as easy and less damaging as possible, hence the reason why of going down the Toyota route.

A old thread listed part number PZQ71-12075.

Thanks

You sure it's not already installed and all you need is a remote for it?

For your car the remote should be part of the key, these are around $220 from Toyota plus cutting and coding.

Other option is get an aftermarket remote kit and wire it into the Lock/ unlock button in the car.

All the threads seem to point that a Ascent does not have keyless as standard and was addition (with a separate remote fob).

Although looking now, it appears the Corolla I have is the Ascent Sports, which I believe may have the remote on the keyhead?

Just need to make some inquiries with some locksmiths to see if they can program one for me (I only have the grey key)

WIth the gray key it isn't that simple as you need the black master key to do it.

You will need to get the immobilizer reset and a master key coded in and then you can see if a remote will code in.

Just having a look on Toyota parts on line and redbook the only remote for central locking I can see is in the key.

So if you want that then this is roughly what you are looking at.

From Locksmith

Immobilizer reset $300 - $400

Remote key from dealer cut and coded $300

From dealer

Repalce all locks and ECU $3800+

How much do you really want it :)

Well its promising that the key with remote is for that car.

I might give Toyota a call and price a key for my VIN, then that would tell me if it has the keyless entry already in it (which I am certain it does now, being a later model and the Sports Ascent).

Ive emailed a few locksmith's and they quoted around $240 for a immobiliser reset and master key - although it might be a bit more if he was just pricing the normal key without the remote, so thats the route I'll take if I can confirm from Toyota that the correct key is the one with the remote keyless in the head.

$3800, the car is not worth much more than that! If it ever came to that, I'd buy the complete set of locks, immobiliser etc from a wreck and swap it all over :)

Edited by tez1

Thats a pretty good price to get it done. Is that with you removing the part for the Locksmith?

This should be the part number for your key - 8907044081

There has been no mention of removing the part (do you know where its located?) or if that includes the supply of a key.

I'll make some enquiries and update the thread for others :)

i have added keyless entry to a couple of zze corollas, all you need is the keyless entry module which is located pretty much directly behind that little pocket to the right of your steering wheel, it says keyless entry module or something similar on it and has a single black wire dangling from it which is an aerial wire and a plug at one end of the module. and then the matching fob button or program a new one to it, simple plug in job. i think i even have a spare module here somewhere. ill have a look for you when im in the garage next.

Edited by daniboy

If you look up under the accelerator peddle its right up behind the dash, black box with a sticker that says ECU, IMMOBILIZER.

Daniboy, even with a replacement module he still needs a master key to code in the remote.

If you remove the matching parts from a vehicle at the wreckers fob(not key) and module there is no need for coding, trust me I have done it with mine and others zze122, if you get module only any competant locksmith can add a remote fob without the need for a master key, they don't need master keys these days, they are able to read or reprogram the security chip on the ecu if need be. in nsw millenium locksmiths are the ppl to see I believe, if you have a fob seperate to the key there is no need to even do that...

Millenium Locksmiths are Brisbane and personally I wouldn't be using them - http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/brisbane-brothers-win-security-licence-despite-bike-links-alleged-death-threats-against-competitors/story-e6freoof-1226536463774

If you got a module with a remote already coded into it that would work but for ALL Toyotas with transponders you need a Master key to code in new keys and remotes, no other way around it, doesn't matter if it is a seperate remote or part of the key head. With older Toyota's that use the remote to immobilize the car you need an existing coded remote to add a new one.

Yes there is a way around having a master key, dibble locksmiths here in Brisbane for one example, they can do keys without a master key. They insert a new chip onto your ecu and give you the corrosponding key code, have done it on my own vehicle. There is also a programming sequence for seperate fobs, ill find it later and post it up.

I have the programming for ALL of Toyotas keys and remotes as I their security CD.

By putting a new key into the ECU this is writing in a new MASTER KEY, you can either write the key into the ECU/ Immobiliser box or reset it and the car will write in the first key that is used, as a master.

As an Auto Locksmith I have done once or twice :)

Thanks for the info, now I understand how a new "master key" can be obtained.

If locksmith's can reset the immobiliser and create a master key, why cant Toyota do this and insist on a new security system?

I think the confusion here is the fact the keyless entry on a zze122 is seperate to immobilizer, the unit under the dash is a keyless entry module, not immobilizer, an accent won't have the module from factory at all just a vacant space and plug for it in most cases. The keys don't come into it at all unless you are getting a key with intergrated button instead of just a fob which is a seperate button not on your key. The unit under the dash has" keyless entry module" written on it and is not an immobilzer, the immobilizer is built into the engine ecu on the zze122 as opposed to the camry hilux etc where it is a seperate unit that feeds to the ecu.

Thats where its a bit confusing as some say it has the keyless entry with the Ascent, being a 2006 as well.

if it makes a difference, Ive discovered the Corolla is a Ascent Sports, so Im sure this has the keyless entry?

Thanks for the info, now I understand how a new "master key" can be obtained.

If locksmith's can reset the immobiliser and create a master key, why cant Toyota do this and insist on a new security system?

Because Toyota is stupid and made it that way :)

Doing the job is not straight forward though which is why it isn't cheap.

I think the confusion here is the fact the keyless entry on a zze122 is seperate to immobilizer, the unit under the dash is a keyless entry module, not immobilizer, an accent won't have the module from factory at all just a vacant space and plug for it in most cases. The keys don't come into it at all unless you are getting a key with intergrated button instead of just a fob which is a seperate button not on your key. The unit under the dash has" keyless entry module" written on it and is not an immobilzer, the immobilizer is built into the engine ecu on the zze122 as opposed to the camry hilux etc where it is a seperate unit that feeds to the ecu.

No confusion here. I know that the remote and the transponder chip are seperate, but to code in a remote or new key a transponder that has been coded in as a Master is needed, not a Valet.

I don't know if this car would have a remote from the factory, but having a look under the dash or calling Toyota will be a good way to find out.

The immobiliser on the 06 Corolla is seperate to the ECU, pre 05 it is intergrated with the ECU. The box is fairly easy to see if you get your head up under the peddles.

I spoke to Toyota today, gave them the vin and they said I can either order the key with remote locking for $230 odd or the normal key with the transponder for $38.

So based on this I assume it will have the keyless entry module in it, although I will look for it tomorrow.

Going to see a locksmith on Saturday who mentioned he can reset the immobiliser and write a new master key for me.

I'll see how that goes.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Good news.

When you see the locksmiths ask him to code your Valet key in as a Master, this way you will have 2 masters and will save you this issue if you loose your master key.

Also get them to code cut your key not just copy your Valet, and get them to do it without the Valet cut on the remote key :)

Just to update this thread, I got it done today.

New Toyota remote key programmed as the master plus got a second non remote aftermarket key for $350 all up.

Pretty happy about that.

This guy seemed pretty cluey, and on the ball.

I thought it was a reasonable price, considering a key from Toyota is around $220 and others I called wanted anything from $400-$650

• 2 weeks later...

sorry but only just reading this, I have got a couple of complete accessory kits for ZZE 121 and 122 October 2001 on supposed to be for ascent models. Part no. is PZQ71-12070 comprises the module, 2 remotes, some hardware and instructions. Instructions say 20 mins to install, wiring plug is already in car and fits behind fuse panel. It is genuine Toyota I purchased for another couple of family cars, not corolla and didn't use them because of the plug I would need. Am willing to sell reasonable price if wanted by any one. Please contact me on mackowner@hotmail.com

John