Suspension and brake problems on my ZZE!

I just took my 11 year old 2002 Corolla Ascent for a check up at Pedders due to some funky noises I've been having up the front end of the car when turning lock to lock etc.

The quote was $1394... which gave me a bit of a surprise, but then again I have 101,000KMs on my ZZE now so it is expected things start to go pear shaped after the 100K mark.

I need two front rotors, lower control arm bushes and two rear struts according to the $28 report. I have a mechanic friend which will be doing this for me to save some money on my end.

What I wanted to know is:

With the brake rotors, should I go genuine Toyota or after market. I don't know the price differences yet, but guessing genuine is dearer by a bit. If aftermarket, what brand of rotor should I get? I saw Pedders had RDA brand? But I saw DBA brand as well on the market?

With the rear struts, is there a difference between after market and genuine Toyota? I am aware of Monroe struts and that's it as I had them on my Commodore at one point. I was told Japanese cars should go OEM as Monroe is harder on the roads?

Thanks.

$1394? Fuuucccccckkkkkkk lololol.

Well sydney roads are harsher on the suspension so yeah maybe it is possible for the struts to cark it after 100,000kms.

Did they show u the damage parts?

If u looking for OEM replacement, go rda rotors. Struts just get cheap ones. Don't go genuine. U will have to bend over n pay with ur @rsehole. Kikikikiki.

Bushings toyota not that expensive so just get them there.

If your mate is a mechanic, your best off letting him have a look at the bushings to see what his opinion is on getting them replaced now rather than later. The rotors and struts probably are on the way out if original. Normally you'd get a second opinion after those $28 checks.

$1400 for all that doesn't sound too bad based on these rough numbers;

rotors: $200, labour 1hr

struts: $300, labour 2hr

lower bushings: $100, labour 2hr

wheel alignment: $100

$1394? Fuuucccccckkkkkkk lololol.

Well sydney roads are harsher on the suspension so yeah maybe it is possible for the struts to cark it after 100,000kms.

Did they show u the damage parts?

If u looking for OEM replacement, go rda rotors. Struts just get cheap ones. Don't go genuine. U will have to bend over n pay with ur @rsehole. Kikikikiki.

Bushings toyota not that expensive so just get them there.

Nope, I wasn't shown any damaged parts. They just gave me a 3 page report and that was it... they did show me some diagram with waves and lines telling me that the suspension in the rear was very bouncy or something like that. I'm no expert with this to be honest. They then said they had to tighten my auto transmission sump for free because it was leaking? I was pretty sure it wasn't leaking before today because my new garage floor is sparkle clean! I was under there about 3 weeks ago looking for fog light wiring etc. and didn't see any leaks but today I see oil smeared everywhere around corner of the sump? err...

If your mate is a mechanic, your best off letting him have a look at the bushings to see what his opinion is on getting them replaced now rather than later. The rotors and struts probably are on the way out if original. Normally you'd get a second opinion after those $28 checks.

$1400 for all that doesn't sound too bad based on these rough numbers;

rotors: $200, labour 1hr

struts: $300, labour 2hr

lower bushings: $100, labour 2hr

wheel alignment: $100

I'll be going to my mechanic friend tomorrow for a second opinion. If parts are required, I shall be buying my own over the net and just paying for labour. Everything under the car is original from the day my parents picked it up from the Toyota dealership with 14KM on a very rainy November afternoon in 2002 apart from new brake pads up the front end. It's technically a one owner car because it hasn't left my household address since new, just went from parents to me and now to my brother... I drive a brand new Honda now :)

Edited by stevo1210

See how I wrote above that Pedders tightened my ATF sump because it was apparently loose? (DID NOT ASK THEM TO DO THIS)

My auto transmission is leaking every night I park on my garage floor now! I see a streak of red oil and IT NEVER DID THIS before they touched it. I could swear my sump was clean before as I had checked under the car for the noises prior and didn't see any leak in the ATF sump area. Now the whole bottom of my ATF sump is wet!!!!

I think they have damaged something now. Not going back there again! I will be going to TOYOTA tomorrow morning to see if they can help me out. I changed the ATF at my mehchanics 60K ago and got the gasket replaced etc... no leak since then... until Pedders poked at it 3 days ago. My used-to-be-clean garage floor now has oil all over it!

Edited by stevo1210

Bring it back to them n shove a stick up where the sun hardly shines. Get them to fix it.

Didn't really wanna go back to them after the service quality I received. I took it to my own mechanic (family friend) this morning cause TOYOTA was full. He said ALL the bolts holding my ATF pan were loose and I was able to witness it... he could turn the bolts 3/4 to 1 turn each until they locked! So I'm guessing they went and loosened my oil pan cause I didn't wanna pay the $1394 quoted to annoy me?

Anyway, I checked the report saying my brake pads needed replacement. WTF, I changed them 15,000KM ago at 85,000KM (first change since original) and it's not like I do burnouts or hard braking... my mechanic said "mate, they're still new and thick!". Sure enough, I still have 10mm or so of pad left!