Towing Capacity 2013 Model

Banjo1961

After the disappointing introduction of a 550kg braked towing capacity, I read recently they have "upgraded" it to 1000kgs.

Apart from the "harsh conditions" that exist in Australia - what the hell does this mean?

What is going to happen to my vehicle if I pull 1500kgs?

According to the Toyota Australia website

Automatic 2.2L AWD diesel models offer a towing capacity of 500kg (braked and unbraked).
Manual 2.2L AWD diesel models offer a towing capacity of 550kg (braked or unbraked).
2.5L AWD petrol models offer a towing capacity of 750kg (unbraked) and 1500kg (braked).
2.0L 2WD petrol models offer a towing capacity of 750kg (unbraked and 800kg (braked).

The reason why there are different ratings for different models is because towing places quite a large strain on the engine cooling system, transmission, brakes and suspension. "Harsh" conditions in Australia often refers to the heat, which obviously impacts on the performance of the cooling system as well, thus it is not unusual for either towing capacities to be down-rated for outback use or there being an optional "heavy-duty towing pack" which would usually included beefier suspension and/or extra transmission coolers.

Yes - well I knew that!!!!

What I am asking is WHY THE HELL ARE TOYOTA ARE DOING IT?

Its not like I want to climb the sandhills in the Simpson Desert with a 2 tonne camper trailer - I just want to tow a 1.5 tonne MAX camper trailer on NORMAL Country roads.

Talk about catering for the lowest common denominator - this is crap Toyota!

• 2 months later...

Well, as a Rav 4 owner for 7 years having just upgrading to the new AWD GX I'm very happy with the towing. 1500kg cap with the Haymen stabilising system I have no problems. I tow a Jayco Swan around NSW, VIC and SA no problems.

As long as you take your time and don't over work the engine you should have no problems.

However, I have been stopped once on the way back through NSW and have had my tow ball weight measured. I was well under so no problems. So I believe it is actually a legal requirment. I would check that out as well.