2002 Camry 5S-FE engine

thommo

Daughters 2002 Camry has developed a rattling noise in engine under heavy load (e.g. backing up our steep drive). My mechanic had a listen & said it was the bearings in the balance shaft?, and not really anything to worry about - there is some sort of fix he can do, something about a plug in the oil gallery (I didn't really understand), but he thought not really necesary at this stage. When crusing or idling, the noise is not really evident.

He also said that engine is prone to ''throwing a leg out of bed'' = conrod thru block = dead engine.

Any thoughts/experience on those two issues?

Daughters 2002 Camry has developed a rattling noise in engine under heavy load (e.g. backing up our steep drive). My mechanic had a listen & said it was the bearings in the balance shaft?, and not really anything to worry about - there is some sort of fix he can do, something about a plug in the oil gallery (I didn't really understand), but he thought not really necesary at this stage. When crusing or idling, the noise is not really evident.

He also said that engine is prone to ''throwing a leg out of bed'' = conrod thru block = dead engine.

1st issue: Hard to say without personally looking at it. Balance shaft bearing failure can be just as catastrophic as any other bearing failure.

2nd issue: Your mechanic is an idiot, it is not common for that to happen if you maintain it well. I would suggest you get a new mechanic.

1st issue: Hard to say without personally looking at it. Balance shaft bearing failure can be just as catastrophic as any other bearing failure.

2nd issue: Your mechanic is an idiot, it is not common for that to happen if you maintain it well. I would suggest you get a new mechanic.

1st issue: Hmmmmmm, not good news

2nd issue: Mechanic is not an idiot, as that's exactly what he said - if it's had a good service history, esp scheduled oil changes, it will be unlikely to blow anytime soon (esp as it only has 102,000 on the clock).....but the service history on the car is unknown (had 92,000 on it when bought).

1st issue: Hmmmmmm, not good news

2nd issue: Mechanic is not an idiot, as that's exactly what he said - if it's had a good service history, esp scheduled oil changes, it will be unlikely to blow anytime soon (esp as it only has 102,000 on the clock).....but the service history on the car is unknown (had 92,000 on it when bought).

Plugging the oil gallery and removing the balance shafts without balancing the engine is a foolish move. He has filled your head with poor information, that could possibly end in tears, but hey, if you think he's not an idiot, then so be it.

Have a nice day.

Ah internet forums, you've gotta love em.

This mechanic has saved us thousands over 15yrs, doing all sorts of fixes to our vehicles often using parts sourced from wreckers. Not one of these fixes has failed yet. If I'd got those fixes done at the frickin Toyota dealership, I'd be living in a shoe box in the middle of the road.

To call him an idiot based on one diagnosis and suggestion is harsh. He is not intending to plug the oil gallery etc at this point, and did say that whichever way we go, it is a risk and could end in tears. So I suspect he is making a judgement call on cost versus risk.

Ah internet forums, you've gotta love em.

If you are implying that I have no idea what I am talking about, my work speaks for itself and many people here can vouch for that.

Just to add, you are the one coming to "internet forums" and either trying to justify or second guess your mechanic. If he is that good, trust him and be done with it.

• Like 1