1997 4wd 2.8l diesel stalling mostly when in 5th gear

Nadder1988

Hi all,

Today while I was driving to work on the freeway going 100km/hr.. all of a sudden I felt an instant change.. started losing power. I geared down and same thing as I tried to accelerate. and then it just died going around 60-70ks an hour.

this happened multiple times driving into work.. Id start her back up after a couple of goes and tread lightly as im not sure whats going on?

is it air in my fuel tank? I checked the heat level of the car and it was dead cold so I took off my heater and that brought it to a normal condition. nothing helped.

the only thing that Ive done differently this week since Ive had her (being 2 months) is the following:

I started driving her very lightly. gearing from 1-2nd as soon as she rolls, 2nd to 3rd at 20kms/hr, 3rd to 4th at 40kms/hr and 5th gear as soon as I hit 60km/hr.

as I got closer to work I drove it the following way 2nd to 3rd at 35kms 3rd to 4th at 50kms 4th to 5th at 70kms/hr and it was driving perfectly. it is now sitting in the car park as if nothing has happened.

what is this?? Please help me as it feels random (nothing is random) and I need to drive up to NSW in 2 weeks and this has worried me.

Edited by Nadder1988

Apparently it may be my fuel pump. I was advised if the problem happened again to, while the car is off to knock the fuel tank a bit and see if that starts her up.

the fuel pump looks fine. maybe Ill give it a tap with my palm next time something happens and see whether that fixes it?

any help will be appreciated guys

Edited by Nadder1988

Hi..

A few questions..how many km's has it done, have the injectors ever been replaced, does the injector pump leak at all, have you ever replaced the diesel filter.. have you checked the air intake/filter..

Thanks Daniel,

310kms. I don't have any leaks that I know of. had a mechanic check it out. diesel filter has been replaced at 305000kms as written,

not sure about the injectors being replaced but Ill check the log book and the car for that. haven't looked at the air intake either.

nothing has happened since the first day. I do recall filling up diesel at a 711.. any relation?