New to site

centaur11

I currently have a MJ Triton, and am going to get rid of this and looking at a 1998 Hilux 3ltr diesel 5 speed 4x4. Is there any thing I should pay particular attention to? Any weaknesses that are known for this vehicle.

The triton model I have is known for a weak 5th gear, and the head on the 4D65T (turbo diesel), just wanting to know the same for the Hilux.

Edited by centaur11

Generally, the "5L" diesel motor is sound, apart from head problems around 25x,xxxkm. Also, it is not suited for performance improvements, as the iron block/head are running close the their thermal dissipation capacity. If you want more power, I'll recommend the later efi turbo motors, except for 07-08 which has an injector seal problem which can cause terminal oil starvation. Personally, I'm happy with mech fuel injection, and my 5L turbo is only for economy at speed, which is an untested experiment. The alternator is 70A+, which should be enough. Earlier 45A ones were too small. Replace/recondition alternator/starter motor/w'pump/thermostat/cam belt/hoses on reciept as a precaution-it will cost only $$, not a breakdown. If you get a/c, keep it working-they're cheap to run in this bigger motor. you should get around 13L/100/km empty? The 4x2 I have gets 10. it will tow a GVM of abt 2.5T braked. Beware of any signs that it used to live near a freeway or hiway, where it was able to be driven hard whilst cold. make sure it hasn't spent time on beaches, or been drowned in floods. Good ones are rare, all are expensive. There are thieves abt. be careful. Ppl normally don't sell them in good order. They tend to drive them into the ground, then demand the Earth for them. It can be difficult to tell good from bad early enough without a lot of experience. BTW The clutch and brake m & s/cylinders should new, because they're due for replacement by now. Clutch plate abt 250xxxkm

Edited by Manxman
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply Manxman, that is what I wanted. So, apart from the gearbox, similiar to the triton. I am looking at one tomorrow, it is a 98 lux, 3ltr diesel, 4x4, dual cab styleside for $7750. I have had enough of playing with the triton.......

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

There are 2 pajeros among my friends-both utter rubbish, unfortunately. Both around 350xxxkm, both utterly worn out motors, despite 5oookm services

$7750? sounds a bit rich for 98, but it might be worth it. Don't pay for the sound system-they depreciate very quickly, and IMO are more trouble than help. If dealer he might negotiate-remember he paid abt $4k(?) for it. redbook.com.au

Edited by Manxman