Kluger 245 tyres

Jonnykluger

Hello I own a 2009 kxs kluger 2wd it still has the original Bridgestone 245 55 r19 tyres and has done about 35000 kms . I was wondering when it came time to replace them should I stick with the originals or go with a different make.i don't wish to widen the profile as it may alter the speedometer reading . I understand that when the gsu40 came out only Bridgestone made this size of tyre but now there are several manufacturers with this size.dies anyone know how many k's there originals will last and are they the best or are there other makes that will last longer ?

Edited by Jonnykluger

I have Michelin latitude tourer sports in 255. Expensive tyres at about 500 a corner but they are the best tyres I've had on the car. I found the bridgestones like to understeer if pushed a little too hard. But the michelins have fixed that problem. As well as any grip or any other problems I've had. Whether cornering or in the wet. And after ten thousand Kms they have barely worn.

I have Michelin latitude tourer sports in 255. Expensive tyres at about 500 a corner but they are the best tyres I've had on the car. I found the bridgestones like to understeer if pushed a little too hard. But the michelins have fixed that problem. As well as any grip or any other problems I've had. Whether cornering or in the wet. And after ten thousand Kms they have barely worn.

About siz months ago I bought a set of Cooper Discoverer CTS in 245/55R19 size for my KX-S AWD.

http://www.coopertires.com.au/our-range/cts/

I wanted something a bit more all terrain for gravel and dirt roads and a friend suggested these. They are 80% highway / 20% all terrain from memory.

The Kluger had some cheap Maxxis highway tyres on it when I bought it a few years ago that weren't far from needing replacement. The handling wasn't the nicest with a lot of understeer on gravel. I would get wheel spin on wet bitumin too! Was always fun driving in the light snow at my parent's place. Sliding all over the place.

Oh the last positive - they come with a 70,000 km warranty so long as you rotate them every 10,000 km. After 15,000 since fitting there is no sign of wear at all.

Since the new Coopers went on the handling is unbelievable - so much better than before. The front turns in nicely on low traction surfaces and stability on gravel is totally different. So much more sure footed. Braking on gravel and wed grass/mud is easy and confident. Very little skidding if careful.

Cost was a bit over $300 each. I think it was about $1260 or so with fitting and balancing. They might have done a steering alignment too for that price...

The downer - there is a bit more road noise now and fuel consumption is up by about half a litre per hundred km with the same driving style. That suggests how much more grip there is compared to the Maxxis rubber...

Am I happy? Absolutely. It's like a brand new car. The loose handling I thought was just Klugers in general is gone. I have a lot more confidence in hitting off camber corners and holding higher speeds on gravel safely. A recent trip to the snow at Mount Baw Baw in Victoria showed how much of a worthwhile investment the Coopers are. The roads were covered in a bit of slush and it handled fine. The car park was a conbination of powder snow, ice and thick clay mud. No trouble at all. The old Maxxis would have been all over the place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mate,

I need your opinion on Bridgestone Ecopia H/T EP850 and Goodyear efficient grip SUV tyres(245/55/R19).Is there any other tyres available for 70% city and 30% offroad pattern.Your advise would be appreciated.

General tyres Grabber HTS will suit your needs over the 2 you posted.

• Like 1