what do u think about Ru486??

Hsien

It's not exactly new. it was around since the late 90's. it was originally allowed into Australia but then ammendments where passed so that not only did drug companies have to apply for approval from the TGA but also the ministry of health for approval.

below is an excerp from an article i read on the matter.

"Now, because of the legislation, RU486 can only be imported after approval from both the Therapeutic Goods Administration and the Federal Minister for Health. In other words, the Health Minister has an effective veto. Since the legislation, not a single drug company has applied to the TGA to import RU486 into Australia – despite the potentially high demand for the drug and the profits to be made. The view of the pharmaceutical industry is there’s no point spending time and money on an application to make or import RU486 when there’s a strong possibility the Health Minister will exercise this veto."

<http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/s1246252.htm>

the matter here is about choice. Putting political and religious views aside (although on this matter i have a suspicion that are stronly linked) i believe the choice should be there to be made. if it weren't for the religious-nut lobbyist, the drug would have no problem getting through.

Well put qkslvr.

I'm a big beliver in free choice - and hate to think that religion / politics can intefere with someones life choices.

No matter what people think and feel on abortion - it is up to the individual involved directly to make the decision. Each circumstance is different.

A lot of the worry I have seen is about 'unscrupulous doctors perscribing the medication' --> if we are that worried aobut unscrupulous doctors - surely there should be a major police sweep and get these people out of practices?

To me that is a blanket cover on an issue - that the health minister is responding with personal / religious / political views - not those in the best interests of the australian public.

It's another case of - politician having too much power and their own beliefs interfering with the lives of the public.

Mmmm a drug that can take a life legally!!!

this can only point to one thing more and more teens getting pregnant!

Why Oh because there is a drug to kill your unborn child! Not good!

Hmmm. Cigarettes have been taking lives for many many many decades legally. either way it's a complicated issue with good and bad points on both sides. but my point is; who is to decide whether a a particular person should have a baby or not. it is not up to the would-be parents?

no good can come from forcing un-ready teens to have and raise kids. and that is my view on the matter

Hmmm. Cigarettes have been taking lives for many many many decades legally. either way it's a complicated issue with good and bad points on both sides. but my point is; who is to decide whether a a particular person should have a baby or not. it is not up to the would-be parents?

no good can come from forcing un-ready teens to have and raise kids. and that is my view on the matter

agreed it cant be good for unready parents ... ... but you cant compare ciggies and this drug

Ciggies affect the user .. and its the users choice to consume the drug

this drug affects an unborn baby ... who has no say in the decision or choice ..

mm..very true...but i think the main underlying issue that really need to be dealt with is the unwanted pregnacy. Its a issue that has to be dealt with, or else abortion is gonna to happen and children that are born and not wanted by their parent...hence suffering deep emotional scar.

Furthermore, Ru486 is leagalised in Taiwan and there were lots of compliation with young girls who took it. There were internal bleeding, infection and even death. So, its not really that safe of a drug. But then again, anything that alters the normal function of the body will have soem serious side effects...

To throw another perspective to that comment corzza:

what happens to the poor 14 year old girl that gets raped at a party - and is found pregnant - should she HAVE to have that baby? Should she have a choice about her abortion method? or should she just have to deal with WHATEVER someone else decides is a safe and acceptable method for her?

some of the comments from barnaby joyce got me fair riled up considering people seem to take the high and mighty side in this - without consideration of those that DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE about the child they carry.

Sure teen's might not worry any more - oh great theres an abortion pill so I can f*** all I want - what's different from now?

Abortion methods now are available and are just as brutal to the body as ru486 could be.....

Personally I don't think the debate about teen sex should EVER come into this sort of debate - but since it's been aired here:

It is a parents responsibility to educate their children with good morals and judgement. It is not a school teacher role, it is NOT a government decision. It is the parents. If the parents DO NOT TEACH morals, good judgement and healthy sexual behaviour then there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Banning a drug that could be used quite safely along with current abortion methods based on 'holding a moral high ground' and 'stereotypical behaviour' is WRONG.

Having right of vetoe to ONE person is also wrong - they are not in a position to comment on EVERY SINGLE PERSON in need of an abortion or wanting an abortion.

Eggbert - you commented on the fact that the unborn baby has no choice in the matter - SEE MY EXAMPLE ABOVE about a rape victim. Where was her choice in becomming pregnant? Where was the potential mothers choice in anything that happens? or is that ok all of a sudden because a crime was committed - perhaps another example:

a 15 year old girl gets pregnant after sleeping with someone much older than her - he discards her - he's had his fun, she's left with a baby - through lack of education and wanting to be loved / accepted - should she Have to have that child and possibly neglect it or put it up for adoption?

As a side note - I am not straight down the line PRO ABORTION. I believe it comes down to the circumstances and the individuals involved. Both of those need to be considered VERY carefully before any decision is made.

end rant.

Edited by Guest

If I shoot somebody and kill them then that's murder. If some woman takes a pill to kill an unborn baby then that's ok??? I do understand there are exceptions to the rule but who gave the right to take another's life? Especially when that life has no say whatsoever. From what I've read about this pill is that the side effects of taking it don't rear their ugly head straight away and may take some period of time for the side affects to be seen/felt. What if the woman who takes the pill to kill the unborn baby suffers from it and dies too?

That's her choice true but the same thing is said about cocaine/speed and other drugs. They can all take your life away and are hence labelled "illegal" so why shouldn't this be the same? Who's to say that the baby from a rape victim cannot be the next Prime Minister? I've got a friend who has a daughter from being a victim of rape at a party and this young girl is a gifted athlete in track and field and is above average in her high school studies. If her mother took the "easy" option then she wouldn't be here today achieving like she is.

I cannot see the difference between killing an unborn baby and killing a person of say 25 years of age.

My 2 cents and hope that you can see my point of view as I've seen yours.:)